2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, My first post and a question regards a problem with a Dealer (hate to moan).

Just purchased a second hand (owned by a lease company) "58" plate Civic EX 5dr 2.2 Diesel NightHawk Black 17" wheels - 2200 miles. Basically a new car - nice :)

Got a call from the dealer a few days later to say that they have just noticed that although the tyres on my Civic are all fine and legal they are of mixed types.
They have offered to replace all of them with brand new ones (Bridgestone I think but he was vague on make and type).

This sounds great, new tyres after 2200 miles on a car - okay I can run with that........
..... Wait a minute, I have some questions......

1) Why are they different, why have they been replaced already?
2) Why was this not picked up on pre-delivery inspection
3) Why have I got to travel 36 miles each way plus 2 hours travel of my time plus diesel at my own cost.
4) Why won't the dealer at least offer me a contribution towards my diesel costs.

After speaking with the salesman and getting no where I spoke to the sales manager.
He says that he is £400+ out of pocket and will not spend any more money on this situation. He is doing this tyre change out of the goodness of his own heart and it is not a requirement. He says he has high standards. I can take it or leave it.

I have noticed that I get steering wheel wobble at around 65-70mph and that there is a repetitive "whoop-whooping" noise from the o/s/r (akin to lowering your rear window when at speed but the noise is less intense and not as loud but same frequency).

This could all be down to the tyres on my car, set up as follows

o/s/r Continental Sport contact - rated 94W
o/s/f Dunlop SP Sport 3000A - rated 94V
n/s/f Mitchelin Pilot Sport - rated 91Y
n/s/r Dunlop SP Sport 2000 - rated 91W

All are 225/45/ R17 but have different speed ratings.

QUESTIONS for forum
1) Should the car be run with mixed tyre types, especially different speed ratings and on different axles
2) Should the dealer be a bit more accomodating and pay for my diesel or are they being too nice already by changing my tyres
3) Should I shave my head (**joke** I'm alrady bald!)

many thanks for your time reading - Its been lenghty and I apologise.
Smiling Civic Owner :)

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I'd get on to the dealer and get them to change the tyres, Honda do not supply new cars with different makes of tyre, they should all be the same.

Any fuss, get on to Honda UK about it, its not good enough, and your costs should be refunded too. A word with the dealer principal would be a good idea too.

Let us know how you get on, good luck!

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for all your prompt replies and advice :D
I will be phoning the dealer again to ask these specific questions you have all suggested.
Will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Well I was about to write something very different, but then when I re-read the post I saw it said 2,200 miles and not 22,000 miles as I first though.

The only explanation is that somehow the car has had 2 punctures and being a lease company they have replaced the tyres with their preferential brand. On my HSBC car they will not fit the original Bridgestone brand, they will only fit Dunlops, as they give 25,000 miles day in day out on the front of the Astra.

THe biggest question is why a lease company has moved on a 58 plate car already?

I think you can forget them reimbursing your fuel costs.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
THe biggest question is why a lease company has moved on a 58 plate car already?
Accident repaired? or a least been heavily kerbed.

I'd take the free tyres.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
ex lease car with 2k+ miles on it, more than likely ex rental or staff member left company.

tyres changed as someone else has posted thru punctures or damage.

Whilst it wont cause any serious damage, you really shoul dhave the same tyres on the same axle, so take up the delaerships offer of replacement tyres.

Seeing as they are doing this for you when they dont have to, why should they also pay for your petrol for your 36 mile (1 gallon) journey??

I'd say you were lucky getting the tyres done and accept the offer.

Don't shave your head, save some dignity..

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
By my calculation (assuming £100 a tyre and a life of 12,500 on the fronts and 25,000 on the rears) you have gained £52 worth of tyre tread by getting new tyres on a 2200 mile car. It's also nice to see the dealer finding a solution without a fight (as it should be, but occasionally it doesn't work that way).

The dealer is not liable for your travel - UK consumer rights don't extend that far. Can you imagine if everyone who took something back to the shop then claimed for their mileage? It would be chaos!

If it were me, I'd be happy with new tyres. I'd also take it for a full four wheel laser alignment at my own expense, just to be sure (and I'd do it within the exchange time period).

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes that is likely also.

I can't remember did the OP say if it was just one axle that differed to the other or was it one side that differed to the other???
Hi The car has FOUR different tyre make/models and three different speed ratings. The two speed ratings that are the same are on the rear axle.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well with that latest bit of info, all I can realistically think is that the car wheels were pinched at some point.
Hmmmm! The thought had occurred to me. The car is a 2008 model on a "58" plate.

I wonder if they were trying to sort out the alloy wheels and pooled the wheels from various other Civics to make a decent set of alloys on my car, hence the different models/makes of tyres.
Very strange. Will be asking questions of the dealer. Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hmmmm! The thought had occurred to me. The car is a 2008 model on a "58" plate.

I wonder if they were trying to sort out the alloy wheels and pooled the wheels from various other Civics to make a decent set of alloys on my car, hence the different models/makes of tyres.
Very strange. Will be asking questions of the dealer. Will keep you all posted.
I once bought an ex demo/dealer Jazz with 4k miles on it which had 3 different tyre types - only 2 were the same (original) make and one of those was fairly well worn. I put it down to salesmen probably swapping wheels with sold used cars to satisfy customers without incurring service charges!

Reactions: southr

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all, Its been a while but I visited the Dealer to have my tyres replaced.

Before my visit I contacted Honda UK to ask for their opinion on the situation, also to find out if there was any lasting damage/affects to the vehicle.

Honda UK say that its NOT illegal to have multiple different tyres (even on the same axle) but its not something Honda would recommend. The vehicle would still pass an MOT inspection.
They would not like to see cars sold with different make/models of tyres and this should be noted in the multi-point inspection report. This report should be carried out on all Honda Approved Used Cars.

Honda UK also say that if the tyres were all the same size then it should not have any lasting affect on the VSA system.

Once at the dealers I asked for a copy of the Multi-Point Inspection Report. It clearly shows the Tyre Type, Tyre Load and Speed Rating WERE checked.
There IS a cross next to Tyre Condition however.

It shows that they knew about the different tyres on the vehicle before the sale. :confused:

The tyres were replaced free of charge for four brand new ones all the same (Dunlop sp 2000 not the best but not the worst!) :p

They were still adamant they would not re-emburse me for any fuel expenditure even though it was no fault of my own that I had to return to the dealer 40 miles away when there is another dealer 3 miles away. :mad:

HOWEVER......... Honda UK have come up trumps and said they were not impressed that a dealer would sell a used car with mixed tyre types/treads/ratings. As a result they have agreed to re-emburse me my fuel costs as a goodwill gesture. [smilie=gt-happyup.:
I would like to add that Honda UK customer service staff are top notch!! Very efficient and take on board your issues. I can’t rate Honda UK highly enough at the moment.

Hopefully Honda UK will take up this discrepancy on the multi-point vehicle check with the dealer and ensure it doesn’t happen again. I myself will be less trusting of dealers in general and go through everything with a fine tooth comb as if I was buying privately.

Thanks for reading all [FONT=Wingdings][/FONT]

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
sounds like a good result all round :thumbsup:
(except for the dealer, and to be fair, they bought it on themselves :))

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
Great news and great of Honda UK to come up trumps :D

Reactions: southr

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Will be tyres that have been changed at the dealer on other cars.
so many dealers will put tyres from other cars on stock that is not moving.
My dad had a tyre damaged after a service he filmed the car before service and after.
No problem getting a new tyre BUTwas it new.
The odds that all 4 tyres had a puncture umm seems odd,ex rental have a computer print out showing all costs.
I bet sold and rejected dut to the known drive shaft wheel baance problem on some 2008 cars.
Speak to trading standards and act quick,letter to what car as well.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts