2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take great care of my civ and plan to keep it for as long as the UK gov don't tax ICEs into oblivion. But it is 2006 with 100,000 miles.

I'm wondering how much of an extravagance new suspension would be for a 15 year old EX trim mk8 with a market value of around GBP 3k. There are more and more speed bumps in my neighbourhod and the poor old civ just isn't pleasant over them.

Love the car in every other respect. And I can live with the old unsophisticated suspension. But wouldn't mind a little advice about whether it's totally insane even thinking about installing something better for the years ahead. Is it gonna break the bank and possibly not even be that effective due to limitations innate to this model?

·
i-Vtec
4,426 Posts
Using decent parts, Bilstein B4 shocks and Bilstein B3 springs, Top mounts, bearing, drop links don't expect much change out of £500 doing it yourself. That's roughly what it cost me all in this time last year. As an almost instant easy fix replace the the rear shocks, this is where most of the Gen8's harshness comes from.

·
i-Vtec
4,426 Posts
Heres the parts list and part numbers I used for my 1.8.

Bilstein B4 Front Left Shock absorber 22-213983
Bilstein B4 Front Right Shock absorber 22-213990
Bilstein B4 Rear Shock absorber 24-214001 x2
Bilstein B3 Front Springs 36-201747 x2
Bilstein B3 Rear Spring. 36-216130 x2
SKF Anti Roll Bar Links VKDS 843003 x2
SKF Strut Bearings VKD 75020 (come as a Pair)
Borg & Beck Top Mount BSM5507 x2
Vauxhall insulator Ring(for bottom of the front springs) 13178463 x2

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a bunch for those replies @Das

I'm tempted to take the quick fix option given the car's age/value and replace just the rear shocks.

Would you say look no further than these Bilstein shocks? If I go for the B4s it'll be same as OEM, right? Sorry, I don't know the first thing about this 🥴

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
The Bilstein’s worked well for my 2.2’s rear, though I think some of the harshness also comes from the rear axle pivot bushings - mine are in a sorry state and I’m trying to replace them. I pretty much followed @Das ’s list above and the difference was night and day. Took us about 4 hours.

The original shocks are made by Sachs, and you can get them from Honda but you’ll pay 3 times the price so you’re better off getting them ‘after market’ even though they’re exactly what Honda would sell you, minus the Honda sticker with the part number.

Reactions: Sphere

·
i-Vtec
4,426 Posts
@Sphere I bought Bilstein, but as bayzoo says Sachs is OEM. I changed the Rears first and the improvement was amazing and one of the reasons I carried on to do the fronts and change all the springs.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
I changed both ends on my FN2 recently as @Das knows.
I used Sachs shocks, meyle drop links, borg & beck top mounts. Did the rear myself but got mechanic to do the front.
Total cost inc labour, just over £730 (but I didn't change the springs).
Overall it has made a real difference to the ride without affecting the handling. Mrs W and a mate who always moaned about the harsh ride say it is much better.

Like Das says start with the rears as they are a DIY job. A pair of Sachs shocks come with new bushes that Bilsteins don't for about £120-130 plus £10 for new Honda bottom bolts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
echo the above, rears is very straight forward, do it yourself on the drive with jack, couple of axle stands and a socket set, springs pull out with the suspension on full droop. fronts more complex so easier to pay a professional.

for my rears i stayed with sachs as on mine they are adjustable (sr spec mk9) i think they are pretty good. you'll def notice a difference if they one's you are taking off are 100k miles old.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Is replacing the springs really necessary?

As others have said, I might just replace the rear shocks and be done with it as the car is meant to be a cheap mile muncher!

Other than the two shocks what else do I need for the rears in terms of replacement parts? I'll probably go Bilstein as they're only £60ish each on eBay.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
461 Posts
This is what I paid for my full suspension change on the FN type R, carried the change out myself, didn't have a clue what I was doing, done 1 day, easier than you think, read all info on here concerning suspension change and you will be fine mate I promise, this is coming from a guy who has never entertained carrying out repairs on his car before. Plenty of release agent the day before, Now fully fledge mechanic :LOL:

rear shocks(sachs) ebay £120
Front socks(sachs)autodoc - £141.16(always doing deals/offers)
Top mounts(SNR)tegiwa - £90
Drop links(lemforder)ECP - £42.88(always doing deals/offers)
Rear shock lower bolt-tegiwa - £12(got mine from honda, these are a must)
Re-used bumpstop
Plus ARB bushs(honda) - £20

Total - £299.04
Most include carriage or just add £20-£30

Hope this helps(y)

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
Is replacing the springs really necessary?

As others have said, I might just replace the rear shocks and be done with it as the car is meant to be a cheap mile muncher!

Other than the two shocks what else do I need for the rears in terms of replacement parts? I'll probably go Bilstein as they're only £60ish each on eBay.
if you go Bilstein then apart from 2 new bottom bolts (£10 from honda) you will probably need new rubber bushes that go at the top of the shock. These don't come with the bilsteins (@Das or @bayzoo can confirm) and the old ones are likely to be flattened and gone hard.
Think they are about £8 each and there are 2 each side. You should be able to reuse the big washer and the shock should come with a new top nut.

Sachs should be about £120-130 the pair on ebay and avoid buying new bushes as they come with them try sachs clutch kits|sachsuk|boge coil springs|german car parts direct

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
if you go Bilstein then apart from 2 new bottom bolts (£10 from honda) you will probably need new rubber bushes that go at the top of the shock. These don't come with the bilsteins (@Das or @bayzoo can confirm) and the old ones are likely to be flattened and gone hard.
Think they are about £8 each and there are 2 each side. You should be able to reuse the big washer and the shock should come with a new top nut.

Sachs should be about £120-130 the pair on ebay and avoid buying new bushes as they come with them try sachs clutch kits|sachsuk|boge coil springs|german car parts direct
Yes Bilsteins do not come with the rubber bushings but I do also recommend replacing.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I caught this thread the other day and have decided to refresh the rest end. I run a strut brace which makes a huge difference but actually after 100miles the springs and shocks are going to be tired so should be a nice little improvement. The fronts were don’t not so long back already due to seeping struts.

It’ll be a nice little job to do one spring afternoon

Question though, do you know how and where we can get the oe top and bottom rubber mounts for the spring itself?

These have been a pig to find anywhere.

So far I’ve ordered -

2xSachs rear shocks
2xSachs rear springs
2xSachs rear shock top mounting
2xHonda bottom bolts

As I’m doing all this is would be nice to replace these potentially perished items too

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
The spring seat and top rubber mount can be bought from Honda, they gave me a price but I didn’t bother in the end. Have your Honda said these aren’t in stock?

·
Registered
988 Posts
There's two different schools of thought on springs. Some say unless they snap, they never need changing but others think at some point you should change them anyway as age plus mileage will degrade them.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Tbh the springs aren’t expensive for standard replacements, I was in two minds. Fronts are originals and with the new shocks not had any issues.

It’s an easy job so thought why not.... famous last words lol

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
The spring seat and top rubber mount can be bought from Honda, they gave me a price but I didn’t bother in the end. Have your Honda said these aren’t in stock?
Don’t suppose you can remember how much can you? My Honda garage either seem to not know what the hell I’m on about even with the actual part number. (I do have these) or they come back with stupid answers on how long to get them.

They always give the impression they a miffed you would attempt anything yourself rather than pay them

·
Registered
988 Posts
Tbh the springs aren’t expensive for standard replacements, I was in two minds. Fronts are originals and with the new shocks not had any issues.

It’s an easy job so thought why not.... famous last words lol
Yeah the rears essentially just drop in and are held with gravity.... I think Bilsteins are £80 ish for both springs I think.
Don’t suppose you can remember how much can you? My Honda garage either seem to not know what the hell I’m on about even with the actual part number. (I do have these) or they come back with stupid answers on how long to get them.

They always give the impression they a miffed you would attempt anything yourself rather than pay them
Dealer=Stealer... I don't trust any of them as they over charge and then some!

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
I caught this thread the other day and have decided to refresh the rest end. I run a strut brace which makes a huge difference but actually after 100miles the springs and shocks are going to be tired so should be a nice little improvement. The fronts were don’t not so long back already due to seeping struts.

It’ll be a nice little job to do one spring afternoon

Question though, do you know how and where we can get the oe top and bottom rubber mounts for the spring itself?

These have been a pig to find anywhere.

So far I’ve ordered -

2xSachs rear shocks
2xSachs rear springs
2xSachs rear shock top mounting
2xHonda bottom bolts

As I’m doing all this is would be nice to replace these potentially perished items too
the sachs shocks come with the 2 rubber mounts included plus new big washer & top nut. you shouldn't need to get them separately.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts