2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 80 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
As soon as I get my refund I’ll use AD again but always using the Safe Order option if I’m buying parts I’ve not ordered before

·
Registered
988 Posts
It's about £100 for both shocks so didn't take the insurance option.

As long as the bottom bolts don't round off I can't see anything going wrong!

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Bottom bolts will be fine - I think @Das used his impact on my 2.2 but I don’t recall him having any trouble. My bolts hadn’t been touched in possibly 13 years. I also used the impact on one and breaker bar then ratchet on the other on 1.8 which definitely hadn’t been touched since new (2011) - cleaned and lubricated the exposed threads beforehand. Ratchet takes ages though!

Reactions: Hemingway1975

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Bottom bolts will be fine - I think @Das used his impact on my 2.2 but I don’t recall him having any trouble. My bolts hadn’t been touched in possibly 13 years. I also used the impact on one and breaker bar then ratchet on the other on 1.8 which definitely hadn’t been touched since new (2011) - cleaned and lubricated the exposed threads beforehand. Ratchet takes ages though!
And that’s with both cars living in a Scottish climate

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
461 Posts
I used breaker bar on the bottom bolts, it would take some going to shear them. They metric fine thats why they take ages to racthet off.

·
i-Vtec
4,426 Posts
Just give the thread part a good wire brushing and then wd40. Start them off, then tighten them back up and wd40 again, they will come out ok. Obviously an impact gun makes it loads easier.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Was it established that a new set of Sachs shocks these days are different to say back in 2006?
I seem to remember there was a part no. change and they came with a blue sticker (as opposed to white) around the time the 9th gen Civic came out.

I thought the original suspension was absolutely desperate on my car (75k miles when I bought it). Changed to coilovers - be great (and much cheaper) if I have the option of going back to oem.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
Can you link to the Sachs you bought
check these guys out, they are Sachs distributors based in the UK and the prices are comparable to ebay and German websites.

I got the rears from ebay but bought the fronts from here

·
Registered
202 Posts
check these guys out, they are Sachs distributors based in the UK and the prices are comparable to ebay and German websites.

I got the rears from ebay but bought the fronts from here
that's a brilliant tip. just checked them out and I would have saved £50 buying from here instead of autodoc

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was it established that a new set of Sachs shocks these days are different to say back in 2006?
I seem to remember there was a part no. change and they came with a blue sticker (as opposed to white) around the time the 9th gen Civic came out.

I thought the original suspension was absolutely desperate on my car (75k miles when I bought it). Changed to coilovers - be great (and much cheaper) if I have the option of going back to oem.

My the look of the site Wilmo linked to it looks like its the other way round. They where Blue but are now White?

I've just been out at the car adjusting the handbrake and noticed that my rear passenger shock is leaking badly :-( So I need these bought ASAP as the cars going in the start of next week for the top mount.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
I would give them a ring, I didn't find their site that easy to locate the parts.
If you have the Sachs part numbers by looking on the Sachs site in post #71 then you know what to ask for.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
they are the right ones, make sure the part is 317351, the picture on ebay looks like the old part number that has been superseded
would recommend getting new bottom bolt from Honda though, only about £5, the /Sachs item comes with everything else you need.

·
Registered
988 Posts
would recommend getting new bottom bolt from Honda though, only about £5, the /Sachs item comes with everything else you need.
Ah I don't have new bottom bolts.... Don't think I'll get them in time for Wed. Might just clean up my existing ones before putting them back on!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just about to say that was a good tip about the bolts. Just ordered a couple from my Local/ish dealer. £5 each. Good shout Wilmo. Theres no way the bolts on my car are reusable. The rust has worked its magic on the heads

61 - 80 of 145 Posts