2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Did mine today between showers. Bottom nuts we’re an absolute pig, but I invested in a rattle gun recently so patience and plenty of plus gas were the way. Glad I bought new ones

Safe to say these were shot. One side almost had no resistance and the other side the bush had perished.

did my aux belt as well and that was a ball ache to get leverage 😂

all shiney shiney

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Did mine today between showers. Bottom nuts we’re an absolute pig, but I invested in a rattle gun recently so patience and plenty of plus gas were the way. Glad I bought new ones

Safe to say these were shot. One side almost had no resistance and the other side the bush had perished.

View attachment 318043
View attachment 318044

did my aux belt as well and that was a ball ache to get leverage 😂

all shiney shiney

View attachment 318045
Wow these shocks and springs are in a sorry state, much improvement in the rear?

I bought a used rear axle and have been stripping it since Friday; it still had the rear calipers on it. Had fun with my new bush press tool today:

My garden seat doubles as a workbench.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
LoL look at you, 6 months ago you couldn't fit shocks or springs.

Nice smokey joe btw (y)
Without this stuff mate I’d have gone insane over these lockdowns.

Yep fired up the old BBQ last weekend during our Scottish summer... now we’ve gone straight to autumn...

·
i-Vtec
4,426 Posts
If you need a hand swapping the axle over give me a shout, cant promise anything but if im free ill nip over.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
If you need a hand swapping the axle over give me a shout, cant promise anything but if im free ill nip over.
Thanks I’ll take you up on that if you’re free - better that than making my 70 yr old father-in-law help me :D Won’t be for a few weeks or so and will chat you nearer the time (y)

Reactions: Das

·
Registered
116 Posts
General note on ride quality.

I changed the bushes to poly's on my 2009 as soon as I got it, the shocks were in almost as bad shape as pic above (plus leaking). Polly's won't help ride quality at all :) but I did notice that most of the standard bushes had either little splits or signs of the degradation and perishing in the rubber. Whilst they weren't dangerous, I'm sure they were not giving the damping new/better quality rubber would as rubber hardens over time. So I'd expect that on older cars, replacing the bushes even with standard Honda ones would help to the way the car handles and feels, along with the springs/dampers. Although, I understand it's quite a difficult job, not sure how DIY friendly.

If you can put up with a harsher ride and slightly annoying rubber squishing and squeaking sounds over bumps, polly bushes and a good chassis set up really do make the FN2 a complete weapon. Mine goes around round about and corners on absolute rails and is so confidence inspiring and sure footed.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
OK I may go Powerflex road bushes when/if I do it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I'm going to replace fronts & rears in the near future. Tons of great info in this thread.

Obviously the fronts are more complex so may get a professional to do fronts. But a couple of people in here have said it's very doable. Is there some real danger of injury if I don't know exactly what I'm doing first time round? I.e. spring under tension being undone or something? Are there any additional tools required to do the fronts? (I've got everything I need to jack up and all the sockets and torque wrenches.)

Do these look like the right anti roll bar links?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
For the fronts there are more bolts and a few more bits to take off for access. Removing the wipers and wiper cowling gives better access to the top nuts. I’ve helped someone do mine before. But actually I wouldn’t be worried to do them myself now I’ve done more bits on the car. Obviously for the front the spring is on the damper under load. So good spring tensioners and even pressure when applying are key. And never have your head over the top of it.

YouTube research on how to remove fronts on various cars will show you what’s what and show different techniques if something doesn’t quite got to plan etc. If you are sad like me you can enjoy watching a few hours of videos leading up to the job to build confidence

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I'm most definitely sad enough to watch hours of youtube before attempting.

Looks like it costs 30-50 quid for spring compressors. Not sure how often I'd use these apart from suspension jobs.. hmm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Yeah I've decided to do the rears myself and get a pro to install the fronts after all:)

·
Registered
988 Posts
The fronts don't look "that" hard other than compressing the spring.

There's a few more bolts and extra bits, probably needs a good adjustment after it's all fitted.

Other than watching YT are there any idiots guides or diagrams one can look at to understand the fronts?

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
Yeah I've decided to do the rears myself and get a pro to install the fronts after all:)
exactly what I did.
mobile mechanic charged for 3 hours work to do shocks, drop links and ARB bushes.
I had bought all the bits for him to do it and he managed it without taking the wipers off.

He had to cut the drop links off so a cutting disc is another one time tool to think about.

For drop links I'd recommend Meyle HD from any reputable ebay source. Don't know what your car is but this seller is okay and should have yours: FOR HONDA CIVIC FN2 2.0 TYPE R FRONT ANTIROLL BAR DROP STABILISER LINK MEYLE HD | eBay

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Possibly dumb question but do 1.8 mk8 civs have an anti roll bar both front and rear, but only drop links and track rods at the front? I've taken photos underneath but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at 😅

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Possibly dumb question but do 1.8 mk8 civs have an anti roll bar both front and rear, but only drop links and track rods at the front? I've taken photos underneath but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at 😅
ARB is just at the front - at the rear you’ll be seeing the rear subframe/axle

Reactions: Sphere
101 - 120 of 145 Posts