2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Milano Red Fn2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys 馃憢馃徎 After parting ways with my Fn2 I鈥檓 looking for a replacement, I鈥檝e seen and driven a few mk8 type s but they don鈥檛 really do it for me in the same way as the type R so I鈥檝e decided to look for a mk9 instead. Can anyone offer any advice as to which engine would best suit my needs? I do around 50-60 miles daily as a community worker. Mainly town and dual carriageway driving with a few B roads thrown in and frequent stops at my various visits around town. So looking for something economical but long lasting and not known to throw up any nasty surprises 馃憤馃徎 I鈥檝e been looking at the 1.8 ivtec in sport trim or the 1.6 idtec in ES or above spec. I know they鈥檒l never be a type R but whichever would offer the best of both worlds would be a bonus, thanks in advance

Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
My worry with diesel is, are they going to try and tax them off the road.

Registered
Milano Red Fn2
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My worry with diesel is, are they going to try and tax them off the road.
Yeah that鈥檚 one of the reasons I was thinking go petrol, that and the fact it鈥檒l hardly ever see a motorway and worrying about dpf regen issues with the diesel. The tax for the 1.8 is currently 拢155 a year which isn鈥檛 bad after the type r lol 馃槀 in the diesels favour tho the road tax in the ones I鈥檝e seen is either 拢0 or 拢30 plus better economy figures 馃憤馃徎

Super Moderator
my 9g diesel at the moment is zero tax (unlike my bike just got renewal 拢96)
no dpf issues at all after 3 years mixture of local and medium journeys not too many long journeys recently
i find it a little under powered on bottom end without blue spark box
if there was no threat from the eco warriors id go diesel all the time unless i was wanting out right performance

Registered
Milano Red Fn2
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @scaramanga 馃憤馃徎 Performance wise as I鈥檝e said they鈥檒l never match the Fn2, nippy around town and able to hold its own on dual carriageways is what I鈥檓 aiming for now. I鈥檝e also spotted a few 2.2 idtec for sale, is this the same engine as in the mk8? And if so has it been revised or does it have the same issues?

Super Moderator
i ran a 8g 2-2 ctdi for 9years and done 140000 miles in it trouble free no clutch issues or cracked manifold
that engine is awesome
they went too far with the change when they done the 1.6 dtec

Registered
Milano Red Fn2
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be worth a look at the 2.2 馃憤馃徎 There鈥檚 loads of mk8 2.2 about at the moment too, might have a look at one and compare the specs vs costs against the mk9 idtec as I still love the mk8 styling

Registered
If you're coming from an fn2 you will find the 1.8 underpowered but if you go diesel either 1.6 or 2.2 there are a lot of tuning options available and you get the lower tax and better economy

Registered
I debated 2.2d vs 1.8 mk8 and I went for the petrol.

I'm glad I did as ULEZ came in shortly after my choice...

The diesels will be better to drive around for everyday commuting simply because they have torque. The 1.8 unit is frankly rubbish, although it's reasonably refined and does go on the top end. It's gutless low down but is flexible, just about! Has reasonable economy I guess, I get 40mpg out of town in it.

Super Moderator
The Mk8 2.2 CDTi diesel didn't have a DPF so had to go, the MK9 i-DTEC 2.2 did so complied with the higher EU std but with the clean air zones appearing in lots of cities soon then the oil burners may not be the best option.

Super Moderator
i ran a 8g 2.2 for 9 years test drove 1.8 and 1.6 at same time even though i find the 1.6 underpowered i liked it better than the 1.8 as you had to rev the guts out of 1.8 to get any power at all
sort of pointless having the vtec system as no option really for the economy as the bottom end was that poor

Registered
I debated 2.2d vs 1.8 mk8 and I went for the petrol.

I'm glad I did as ULEZ came in shortly after my choice...

The diesels will be better to drive around for everyday commuting simply because they have torque. The 1.8 unit is frankly rubbish, although it's reasonably refined and does go on the top end. It's gutless low down but is flexible, just about! Has reasonable economy I guess, I get 40mpg out of town in it.
I disagree that the 1.8 is 鈥渞ubbish鈥. It was never marketed or sold as any sort of 鈥減erformance鈥 car, so judging purely on that as so many do is just wrong. If you want something 鈥渇ast鈥 then buy something designed for that rather than criticising an engine that isn鈥檛. I have owned the 1.8 for 4 1/2 years and it does exactly what it says on the tin. It is ultra reliable, very smooth and easy to drive and I can鈥檛 even hear it on tickover at the lights. If you do want to have 鈥渇un鈥, then it does 35 in first, 65 in second and 95 in third (so I have been told!) which saves you changing gear ever 5 seconds in a diesel. For everyday driving (in traffic, with speed limits and cameras) it鈥檚 great, even on a long drive it does the job and with the seats down it swallows a hell of a lot more stuff than you imagine. Sorry, but all the comments trashing the engine seem to be criticising it for being something it isn鈥檛 even supposed to be. Just enjoy it for what it is I say.

Registered
My 2008 1.8 Ex mk8 is pretty nippy. Swapped the standard ex alloys at 10.5kg for DC5 wheels 8.5kg a corner :) . Run on shell V Power. It's 5dr practicality with a type r kit and none of the high running costs.
... yes its never going to be a type r but its a lot cheaper and still makes me smile!:)

Registered
I had a 1 8 type S and found it free revving nice sounding, quite nippy with decent economy, no problems with it, it was just lacking a bit in torque but you just had to change down a gear or 2

Registered
Milano Red Fn2
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Think I鈥檒l go take a test drive in both 1.8 and 1.6 see which one I think I鈥檇 get on with better 馃憤馃徎 As said above they鈥檒l never replace my Fn2 in terms of performance but I need to be sensible about it, if I had my way I鈥檇 still be in the Type R but needs must and I couldn鈥檛 justify using her as a daily driver anymore 鈽

Registered
I went from a 1.8 to the fn2 then 1.6d, now on 1.5T.
The 1.8 was good and it was a nice step up to the fn2 but going the other way im not so sure. I was pleased with the 1.6d ,excellent economy and was better than the fn2 on the motorway due to the high torque, it was effortless to drive and was a bit faster in 5th and 6th gears from 50-70 mph, there are tuning options available if you do want more power too.

Registered
Meh I know it's unfair to slate the 1.8 as it does its job extremely well. Designed as a low maintenance and fuel efficient unit I can't fault it. Does 40mpg almost all of the time and sometimes more, it's flexible enough for normal traffic.

Compared to what I drove for the last 7 years it is not exciting but that's never a fair comparison as said engine was a 3.0 V6 Busso which is likely one of the all time great V6 engines. What's more is my one has been opened up with stainless exhaust manifolds and cat back so it's uncorked too.

Running costs are no comparison either. Can probably run 2 or 3 1.8 Civic for one of those V6. Fuel economy is 26/27mpg in the same conditions as the Civic and it needs an 拢800 timing belt & water pump change every 36k or the engine scraps itself. All regular servicing on the Civic can be done by a home mechanic and parts are mostly very affordable.

The 8th gen 1.8 is "good enough" on all counts but really doesn't exist to set the world on fire.

My 2008 1.8 Ex mk8 is pretty nippy. Swapped the standard ex alloys at 10.5kg for DC5 wheels 8.5kg a corner :) . Run on shell V Power. It's 5dr practicality with a type r kit and none of the high running costs.
... yes its never going to be a type r but its a lot cheaper and still makes me smile!:)
I may get DC2 wheels for my Civic at some stage. 15" and lightweight for better refinement!!!

Registered
The 1.8 is OK to potter around town with, if you skip gears it revs very low. And you can get some good MPG if you don't rally it everywhere.

However, if you're on the motorway in 6th gear and you get a lane hogger in your lane and need to quickly overtake them, you need to drop two gears get it into the high rev range and floor it.

In the diesel, at least with a remap you could potter along at 80mph in 6th at 1500RPMS and if you needed to overtake a lane hogger you just needed to floor it, and they'd soon become a distant memory in the rear view mirror.

Of course a petrol will never match a diesels MPG, unless of course you had a hybrid. But overall, a diesel will cost more to maintain and has much more to go wrong. Injectors, DPF and dualmass flywheels are a wallet drainer if they go wrong!

Whereas the petrol, may cost more on fuel but when the clutch goes at around 120-140K miles, it's only 拢180. No injector issues or anything else. Only some oil consumption, but all cars lose about 0.5L every 800-1000miles, even new from the factory. (y)

I've done 10K miles in my 2006 R18 Type S, owned it for 13 months now. I've had to do the two front struts, front drop links and two oil changes (of course general maintenance.) On my 2007 Type S 2.2 I had to do the same work, along with a turbo & exhaust manifold. Oh and the previous owner did the passenger side front ABS sensor, the drivers side failed on me and I had to do that one. And it puffed out blue smoke on cold start, even after the new turbo. I did 14K miles in 11 months ownership and then wrote it off.

Registered
I don't think the 1.8 has any weaknesses as an engine whereas diesels get the aforementioned issues. Although there are more 2.2 on monster miles, I've seen some on 200k+

The clutch in mine was replaced at about 100k so I'm encouraged to keep it. Gearbox oil and clutch changed/bled so it's all good.

The R18 has a bit of injector noise at low speeds. Or at least I think it's that, valves were adjusted last year although I'm not 100% the dealer did a good job.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts