2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Milano Red Fn2
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys 馃憤馃徎 After weighing it up think it鈥檚 going to be a 1.8 ivtec I go for, yes the diesel has the torque and the mpg but think the 1.8 will be closer to the driving experience of the k20 (dropping two gears and giving it some, which I love) hopefully going to test drive a red 1.8 Ti this week, if I squint hard enough it could almost be my type r lol 馃槀

Premium Member
i had a similar decision to make a few years ago when i ditched my company car and opted out - i chose a facelift mk9 tourer 1.6d SR spec which i've since tweaked a little; re-map, suspension, wheels etc.

its not a type r but its much nicer to drive than it was stock, better ride, nicer on a twisty road, more torque, mpg same or better than before. no dpf issues in 3 years of ownership. my tax is 20 quid a year btw.

Registered
I'd at least test drive both models.

But it's a decision for you to make, whether you'll want to save money on fuel or keep the car forever. Of course if you travel into London or any other big cities that implement ULEZ emissions, you need a diesel >65 reg. Whereas all the 2006 R18's are ULEZ.

If you keep your cars for a year or two and sell for something else, I'd say to consider a diesel and drive them. If you keep forever and run them until high mileage or every penny out of them, petrol is the better option.

Also your driving style comes into play, if you're a racer and like getting up to speed quickly, then the R18 will do bad MPG, a diesel will return high MPG even with a heavy right foot.

If I was doing 120 miles a day 5-6X a week again, I'd sell my R18 in a heartbeat and get a diesel.

Registered
2013 MK9 pre facelift 1.8 TI. Eibach springs and spacers. Michelin PS4鈥檚. Always run on VPower fuel
Thanks for all the replies guys 馃憤馃徎 After weighing it up think it鈥檚 going to be a 1.8 ivtec I go for, yes the diesel has the torque and the mpg but think the 1.8 will be closer to the driving experience of the k20 (dropping two gears and giving it some, which I love) hopefully going to test drive a red 1.8 Ti this week, if I squint hard enough it could almost be my type r lol 馃槀
I have a white TI. Love the look on the outside but it is the most basic spec on the inside, so depends what you are after. I use mine so infrequently it doesn鈥檛 bother me and less to go wrong too. I changed the tyres to Michelin PS4鈥檚 and put Eibach springs and spacers which transformed the driving experience. Not worth doing anything performance wise but then I guess that鈥檚 why you changed anyway. I have had mine for 4 1/2 years and love it. Give it some revs and it can surprise you and for me it鈥檚 the best looking MK9 pre facelift out there.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts