2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get the current state of play off my chest! This forum seems the perfect place for me to do so (sorry all!)!

My other thread has a list of all the problems I've had with my ten month old Civic (1.8EX), to summarise:
1. Faulty engine temperature sensor, causing needle to indicate over heating and climate control opperating full on cold (back in cold March).
2. Failing power steering (when going around inner-city mini roundabout and motorway) - resulted in car being almost totally uncontrollable.
3. Poor desgin of mud flaps - resulting in them (particularly drivers side front) being caught by (small) speed bumps at very slow speeds.
Has now been fixed twice (also pushes back the whole side skirt).
4. Broken fuel cap cable.
5. Noise/squeak from dashboard.
6. Noise/squeak from passenger door.
7. Badly angled headlights.
8. HFT system requiring the recent mod.
9. 3 parts of trim requiring replacement after delivery due to damage.
10. Loose cable inside drivers door causing a rattle.
11. Rear shock absorbers.
12. Silver door trims not installed by dealer (part of paid for pack).
13. Boot needing to be slammed to be closed.
14. Poorly fitting glove box door (x2).
15. Needed engine oil just after 7,000 miles on the clock
16. Fuel cap now fixed three times - and is sticking again! (have been promised the new version this time).
17. One of the cable/strings holding the rear parcel shelf has snapped.
18. (and this nearly tops them all) - leak from boot, this was fixed a few weeks ago - but has now recurred with a vengance!! - the lower boot compartment is soaked with mold growing.
19. A climate control system that get's its cabin temp info from a sensor that gets warm after an hours drive, freezing you in the middle of winter despite having 23deg selected.
20. Last fillup - did over 100 miles before fuel needle moved or computer started stating less miles available pre next fillup.

Then there's the gripes I have generally about the design of the new Civic:
1. Silly ingntion key/button combo.
2. Lack of electrochrome rear view mirror.
3. Unable to fold side mirrors once engine turned off.
4. Jerky gear changes in low gears (unless your driving F1 style).
5. Poor wiper auto control after wash.
6. No seat lumbar support.
7. No heated seats (unless leather).
8. I miss the handsfree key from the Megane.
9. Sunroof that doesn't open (or not even available when I ordered).
10. Cheap plastic feel of handbrake.
11. Didn't get a good NCAP score as promissed in original literaure.
12. Lack of rear wiper - not a problem if going >50mph.
13. Hydrophobic lower rear window stated in brochure - not in reality.
14. Bluetooth system that doesn't work with many popular phones.
15. Plain old fashioned key design.
16. Lack of UK sat nav POIs.

And then the moans I have about Honda.....
1. Colour ordered not available for 1/3/6
2. Delivery date put back twice then brought forward last minute.
3. Hardly ever a courtesy car available at the dealer when problems arise.
4. Origianally offered my first service free for all my troubles.
5. Over a week spent in an old Civic months ago awaiting spare parts.
6. Currenly in a Renault Megane (on hire payed by Honda UK) - again taking time as awaiting parts from Belgium.
7. Leak being fixed by a dealer - but was not fixed at all.
8. Rear shocks and EPS - previously replaced - apparently need doing again!
9. Honda only offering £500 off my next Honda purchase - do they not realise that given my/our current experiences, buying another Honda is the last thing I will be doing.
10. A nastly worded letter stating that legally they can only deal in facts and that the EPS failing on a busy city center roundabout did just that and that the fact that I didn't kill any nearby pedestrians is irrelevant.

My dealer has offered buying the car back for 13.5k, paid 18.5k - a loss of 5k in 10 months, but will sell a new car at cost (roughly 1k cheaper than list price with met paint etc).
Interesting how nearly all the staff at the dealership know me as the one who's had so many problems with his car!

So, my current situation is that I have been without my Civic since Monday. The dealer did not have a courtesy car, but Honda UK arranged a hire car (Enterprise - R.Megane 1.5D) as the leak was getting worse - lucky considering this weeks weather. The whole of the boot trim is being replaced (as mouldy) and half of the trim still hasn't arrived from Belgium. EPS/shocks being replaced again, new petrol cap and they've changed the climate control sensor with one out of the showroom car to see if I can drive from London to Southampton without freezing by the time I arrive in the south! They hope the petrol gauge error is a one off - wait and see!
Due to my work, I can't get back to the dealer until Thursday. So, altogether over three weeks in 10 months in a cheaper inferior car.

My current thoughts on my car are:
It's averaging two faults a month - 20 to date.
The Power of Dreams = Nightmares.
I have lost confidence in both the car and Honda.
I can replace the car if I'm prepared to loose 4k pounds.
I can accept a £500 voucher from Honda for my next one!
All this from a company who is meant to manufacture cars of higher quality than similarly priced/spec cars, have outstanding customer service and hassle/worry free motoring - I think not!!

If you're still reading - thank you - rant over!

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
Wow....that really is quite a list, not sure what to say to that!

All the issues and problems you have mentioned there are nothing new, I have seen every single one of them before, but in most cases maybe 4-5 at a time. And those people are unlucky! I can understand your frustration and anger over the whole thing. Whats the next stage for you?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
email address

anybody got an email address for top gear because thats were a copy of this should go

Words fail me its impossible to answer a post like that

my creaking sound yesterday when I collected my caravan sounds like the car is breaking in half

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
I would be unhappy too.

If all those things happened to me I'd be raising hell at the dealer. Luckily the rest of us haven't had such a long list of negatives.

In this case I hope you find a way to get rid of your faulty car. Honda should own up to their work - or in this case the lack thereof.

·
Registered
46 Posts
its not that I'm unsympathetic to your plight but rather from past experience with a peugot which I neither wanted, liked or ever grew to love. When you reach the point of dissatisfaction that you have reached with the car the only way forward is to part company on the best terms you can negotiate, buy another car and get on with the rest of your life..

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
love and hate

I love driving my civic it has a lot of good points

But hate the faults

I think we should get what we paid for

Its just not right the way we have been treated

On or own without this site we would all have been told your the only one with fault

With this site they agree there is a problem but getting it fixed is another matter.

As I have said before they tell me they can't fix my faults not that they won't

The sale of goods act is all very well on paper but all the dealer told me take us to court

I know this is slightly of topic but

I have had a problem with the fridge on my new caravan for the last 4 months.Right from new the fridge has had a mind of its own.I was told I have no right to reject it unless I do it within days of purchasing it, all I could hope for was a replacement van of the same age and condition or that I could asked them to buy it back at market value.

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
You have a lemon. We need a lemon law in this country to protect people in your situation.

If I were you, I would speak to a solicitor, and try and force them (dealer in first instance) to replace the car under the sale of goods act. That car is clearly not fit for purpose, and you have already made reasonable efforts to allow them to repair the car.

I have vast experience with the CS team at Honda, I know for a fact they have the ability to replace cars where necessary. You and the dealer should be putting pressure on HUK to try and make this happen.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very quick replies to points raised as below:

1. Faulty engine temperature sensor, causing needle to indicate over heating and climate control opperating full on cold (back in cold March).
Not had that
2. Failing power steering (when going around inner-city mini roundabout and motorway) - resulted in car being almost totally uncontrollable.
Not had that
3. Poor desgin of mud flaps - resulting in them (particularly drivers side front) being caught by (small) speed bumps at very slow speeds.
Has now been fixed twice (also pushes back the whole side skirt).
Agreed - though not had that yet
4. Broken fuel cap cable.
Not had that
5. Noise/squeak from dashboard.
Not had that
6. Noise/squeak from passenger door.
Not had that
7. Badly angled headlights.
Agreed
8. HFT system requiring the recent mod.
Agreed and mines still poor
9. 3 parts of trim requiring replacement after delivery due to damage.
Not had that
10. Loose cable inside drivers door causing a rattle.
Not had that
11. Rear shock absorbers.
Agreed - and to carry on fitting ones they know are faulty was very poor
12. Silver door trims not installed by dealer (part of paid for pack).
Not had that
13. Boot needing to be slammed to be closed.
Agreed - though now better
14. Poorly fitting glove box door (x2).
Agreed - live with it
15. Needed engine oil just after 7,000 miles on the clock
Not had that
16. Fuel cap now fixed three times - and is sticking again! (have been promised the new version this time).
Agreed - will get mine done at service
17. One of the cable/strings holding the rear parcel shelf has snapped.
Not had that
18. (and this nearly tops them all) - leak from boot, this was fixed a few weeks ago - but has now recurred with a vengance!! - the lower boot compartment is soaked with mold growing.
Not had that
19. A climate control system that get's its cabin temp info from a sensor that gets warm after an hours drive, freezing you in the middle of winter despite having 23deg selected.
Mines OK in that area
20. Last fillup - did over 100 miles before fuel needle moved or computer started stating less miles available pre next fillup.
I've had several cars like that - as long as its OK when near empty I can live with that
I've also had:

'Check System' indication needing a dealer visit - no fault found.
Poor radio reception
Boot light not working on delivery
Voice controls unusably poor

Then there's the gripes I have generally about the design of the new Civic:
1. Silly ingntion key/button combo.
Agreed - though a minor point
2. Lack of electrochrome rear view mirror.
Not a concern to me
3. Unable to fold side mirrors once engine turned off.
Agreed its silly, buy as they fold to a still rather bulky form, I rarely fold them
4. Jerky gear changes in low gears (unless your driving F1 style).
Mines a manual and OK
5. Poor wiper auto control after wash.
Agreed - and mine sometimes doesn't auto wipe after wash at all
6. No seat lumbar support.
Not a worry
7. No heated seats (unless leather).
I have leather, but rarely use heaters
8. I miss the handsfree key from the Megane.
Never had one, so not a worry
9. Sunroof that doesn't open (or not even available when I ordered).
Not a worry
10. Cheap plastic feel of handbrake.
Its not brilliant, but I'll live with it
11. Didn't get a good NCAP score as promissed in original literaure.
Not a worry
12. Lack of rear wiper - not a problem if going >50mph.
Agreed
13. Hydrophobic lower rear window stated in brochure - not in reality.
Agreed
14. Bluetooth system that doesn't work with many popular phones.
Works OK with the only 2 I've tried so far
15. Plain old fashioned key design.
Not a worry
16. Lack of UK sat nav POIs.
Agreed - though not a big concern

I would add 'window closing option when locking up'

And then the moans I have about Honda.....
1. Colour ordered not available for 1/3/6
2. Delivery date put back twice then brought forward last minute.
3. Hardly ever a courtesy car available at the dealer when problems arise.
4. Origianally offered my first service free for all my troubles.
5. Over a week spent in an old Civic months ago awaiting spare parts.
6. Currenly in a Renault Megane (on hire payed by Honda UK) - again taking time as awaiting parts from Belgium.
7. Leak being fixed by a dealer - but was not fixed at all.
8. Rear shocks and EPS - previously replaced - apparently need doing again!
9. Honda only offering £500 off my next Honda purchase - do they not realise that given my/our current experiences, buying another Honda is the last thing I will be doing.
10. A nastly worded letter stating that legally they can only deal in facts and that the EPS failing on a busy city center roundabout did just that and that the fact that I didn't kill any nearby pedestrians is irrelevant.

My dealer been OK so far, but Honda UK seem very relaxed about the fact that they have quite a lot of dissatisfied customers, and I doubt most of the points of design you mention will be addressed.

Like you - I'm a bit disappointed in several aspects of the design, and very disappointed in the Honda UK response - well lack of it and Honda UK's quality control - well lack of it.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
????

But why are Honda not fixing these faults
I have quite a lot of those faults and others
I tried Honda customer service waste of time

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I wrote a thread last week suggesting everyone that is unhappy to get together and write a petition (Basegreen thought a common letter would be better) so that we can attack Honda CS in force.

Honda CS do not care anymore about thier customers is is evident in the way they ignore letters, emails and phonecalls.

Contacting Top Gear, What Car or Watchdog would be better if there were lots of unhappy customers.

Only one person responded to my thread saying they agreed with me. I thought the lack of response showed that most of the "unhappy" customers on this forum are in fact actually quite happy to continue with their problems.

I have threatened Honda CS with What Car and Watchdog before, they are not bothered. Now I am sure if enough people did it together they would have to take notice as their "excellent" reputation will definately be tarnished.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sent a copy of my posting last November (Who can make the longest list) to Watchdog - not heard a thing back from them.
If anyone can post email addresses for What Car / Top Gear etc, I'll happily write to them (but settle down to some revision now!!).
Every dealer I speak to about the new Civic say they have had one or two problems "out of the ordinary" at most, I express my dissbelief at that statement and point them in the direction of this forum - then they get a little shocked and eat humble pie!
Raising hell at the dealer has happened - all the sales manager can do (like I said above) is buy the car back and sell a new one at cost - apparently the rest is up to Honda UK.
As for Honda fixing the faults - they do, one by one, hence when the car is returned to me, it is, in Honda's eyes "in perfect working order". Hence, it is difficult to reject the car under sales of goods act etc, but you know that you won't have to wait long until the next problem develops.
The other thing I said to Honda UK on the phone, when they started enquiring if I'd involved solicitors / trading standards was that a) I had not b) I was hoping that given Honda's multi billion pound international business that they could find it within themselves to resolve this matter between ourselves to high level of satistfaction without having to involve third parties, and that a simple car replecament would cost them pennies in the grand scheme of things and they might learn something from having my current car back to examine thoroughly. I also pointed out that I am continuously mentioning my problems to friends / work colleagues (note: large NHS hospital)/ internet sites / Watchdog etc, and that word of mouth is beginning to spread of how poor Honda have become, I stated that it would surely be better for all if word of mouth started spreading news such as how good Honda were is dealing with their mistake and how they accepted they had produced a bad car and replaced it appropriately.
We wait and see!

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I agree

I agree with top cat and all the others A careful thought out letter to all who will listen
As much as i would like to write it my grasp of english makes no sense my wife tells me I talk rubish 90% of the time and the other 10% makes no sense
Anybody who's reads my posts must think i come from planet stupid but I am with you all

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
waste of time

I have legal expense add on to my insurance spoke to a solicitor all talk no action
I thought they must work for Honda

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I am sure Honda have heard all this before in one way or another from unhappy customers.

They do not care, they have our money now and they know that very few people have the resouces to take legal action against them.

I do not have as many problems as yours but I do have on going issues, incidently I did have a similar problem with my climate control and it was fixed.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Honda will also instruct a solicitor, it will then get dragged out for months - and if I loose, I'll be at an even greater loss!

I think you will find that if Honda can not fix her problems within a reasonable time then they have broken the "Sale of Goods Act" and therefore you would not loose, but I believe your claim would be againt the dealer and not with Honda UK.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you will find that if Honda can not fix her problems within a reasonable time then they have broken the "Sale of Goods Act" and therefore you would not loose, but I believe your claim would be againt the dealer and not with Honda UK.
Her would be a him then!!
They are fixing the problems though! We just wait for the next!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts