2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering how easy it would be to make and install a mod that would turn the lights on whenever the Auto wipers are on.

I have the auto lights and auto wipers but some times it rains and the visability is poor so I have to manually turn the lights on.

I was thinking some way of delaying when the lights come on. To make sure that the lights don't come on for a spot of rain or a bug. and also wire a capacitor in place so that the lights stay on for a bit longer to avoid them "flashin"

Any one done this?

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I agree that it is advisable on safety grounds to sometimes turn your lights on during the day in heavy rain - obviously not to help your own vision, but to enable you to be seen clearly by others.
However i think that automatically linking the lights to the wipers is a step too far and not really a good idea.
The times that rain is heavy enough to seriously reduce visibility during the day is actually quite few and far between, but on the other hand, the times when it is raining in bright sunshine is relatively common. Would you really want your lights to come on in conditions like this?

Each to their own though....some people will probably think it is a good idea.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Or we could just turn the knob which is just centimeters from our hands?

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
My Astra had auto lights & wipers. The lights turned on when the wipers started continuous I found it good.

·
L.U.F.C - MOT!!!!
91 Posts
I can see the positives from doing it, but I dont think its worth doing the work just for the sake of turning a knob 1cm. With any mod theres always an element of risk completely smegging things. (I wrote my previous car off by just changing a 12v socket.... long story but it resulted in a small fire and a fried ECU :facepalm:).

Each to there own I suppose.

·
Mugenised CR-Z GT
502 Posts
I had a Volkswagen golf mk5 loan car when my polo when in for a service and that also featured this. Personally I think it would be sensible if the car did benefit from having this.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
I can see the positives from doing it, but I dont think its worth doing the work just for the sake of turning a knob 1cm. With any mod theres always an element of risk completely smegging things. (I wrote my previous car off by just changing a 12v socket.... long story but it resulted in a small fire and a fried ECU :facepalm:).

Each to there own I suppose.
Haha, ouch! What car was it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've always thought the lights should come on with the wipers too, but I wouldn't try and modify it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've always thought the lights should come on with the wipers too, but I wouldn't try and modify it

For me it all depends if some could figure out the wiring needed, and what changes are required.

Granted it may be a huge nasty job and I probably wouldn't touch it either then.

·
Registered
607 Posts
On my new focus its selectable ON / OFF in the menu under 'Rain Lights' :) Good feature IMHO

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I've always thought the lights should come on with the wipers
Why?
For example.....do you think there is any need for your lights to be on in bright sunshine when it happens to be raining?

I will never understand this. If i cant decide for myself when my lights should be turned on, then i am not safe to be let loose on the road.
Thinking about it though.....maybe these things are all about trying to make cars idiot proof. :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Why?
For example.....do you think there is any need for your lights to be on in bright sunshine when it happens to be raining?

I will never understand this. If i cant decide for myself when my lights should be turned on, then i am not safe to be let loose on the road.
Thinking about it though.....maybe these things are all about trying to make cars idiot proof. :)
C'mon, you know we don't have bright sunshine when it happens to be raining in the UK. It's one or the other, normally the other - this week being the exception - Scorchio here !! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
C'mon, you know we don't have bright sunshine when it happens to be raining in the UK.
It definitely does happen though, whether its rare or not.
The times when it is raining during the day and visibility is reduced enough to make lights necessary, is actually quite rare.

I dont see the need to have lights automatically coming on with wipers, because in most cases they wont be needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts