2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you say brakes using oem pads and grooved discs are classed as uprated?

Trying to find insurance better then aviva.

Got tints as well should i declare this too?

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
As above I would declare those.

It's still difficult to know how far to take it though, I mean you could be on the phone everyday.

Do you declare new bulbs? New mats, new valve caps? Tax disc holder? Air freshener?

It may sound silly but it's possible to deviate from manufacturer standard in lots of ways.

And another thing, if you buy the car used, how are you supposed to know if say discs and pads are OEM.

What about tyres, Honda use yoko and Bridgestone. So if we put a set of AD08's on should this be declared as arguably this would be a massive change - especially in the wet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm pretty sure you should declare the tints, when you use comparison websites there's a tick box for tints under the modification section.

I'm not sure about the brakes, my guess would be that you should declare them, if in doubt ring your insurer, if they say you don't need to declare it, get them to put it in writing.

Make sure you shop around for the best deal, my insurer wanted an extra £7 for the blue LED's I've got in the foot well (not even fitted by me), whereas the same insurer didn't charge any extra for the "modification" when I got a quote online.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Some people imo take modifications and insurance to far, yes the windows should be notified but if the brake discs are the same size etc then I think not as they are just a replacement disc and won't really alter the performance. Another point to make these could have been on the car when you bought it and if you was not into cars how would you know this is not oem.

It's like I have bought the Honda optional gear knob so do I need to tell the insurance company if I swap this or because I have the rear luggage mat or because I have fitted night breaker lamps? I think not.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I'm interested in this subject, as I am considering new discs, pads and braided hoses for my Civic.

I was only thinking of telling my insurer, Direct Line of the braided lines.

Should I tell them about everything if I go ahead?

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
As Rick mentioned, if you fit slotted disks that are the same size as OEM - then I doubt they will be interested.

However, to cover yourself it can't do any harm to tell them and let them decide.

You need valid insurance so be stay honest.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Seeing as I am in my first year of car ownership and am yet to gain any NCB, I think I will ask and see. If the premium would go up significantly as a result of the lines, I may leave those and focus on new discs and pads (MTEC and Yellowstuff).

My renewal will probably be more than when I purchased the car, as I will no longer gain from any multi car or linked home insurance discount. That being said, Hampshire is £50 cheaper than being in Bristol!

·
Vendor
382 Posts
Give Chris Knott a call - we can accommodate all this without issue and just make a note on your record. You want the protection of the insurer being aware. Then they can decide what's relevant or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts