2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got some bad news today.. im 23 (soon 24 in August..) and i cant make any mods to my car untill im 25 (with my current insurer)..

So... as for the big ideas i have.. i got plenty of saving time lol.

Just wondering.. what ''mods'' are ok to do without insurance changes?

also, if i bought some honda alloys (Rages) could i get away with them being ''manufacturer fitted''? I believe the guy who owned the car from new had them on because the sticker in my doorwell has information for a 19'' alloy..

So whats your opinions? facts? anything.. throw them at me!! :p

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
My first mod was rages and these did not make any difference to the insurance, however it depends on the company you need to read the small print and as you said the car may have come with the rages.

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are direct line they will not cover rages. been there tried that -_-
When i bought my car and insured it, they didnt ask what alloys it had on it, so if i bought it with rages and they had it from manufacture, surely they would accept it as standard for that car?

im not sure, but im with Churchill lol.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
No - it's an optional extra, even if a Dealer didn't charge you for them as part of the deal.
Your Insurance Company, will have assumed (correctly) that the wheels are standard on your car, as you didn't declare the rages.
If they are damaged in an accident, or you come out one morning with the car standing on bricks - they won't pay out.
If the car is nicked - that will really "P" them off .

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No - it's an optional extra, even if a Dealer didn't charge you for them as part of the deal.
Your Insurance Company, will have assumed (correctly) that the wheels are standard on your car, as you didn't declare the rages.
If they are damaged in an accident, or you come out one morning with the car standing on bricks - they won't pay out.
If the car is nicked - that will really "P" them off .

ahh.. thats a shame :( nevermind! Little bits untill im 25! :popcorn:

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
When i bought my car and insured it, they didnt ask what alloys it had on it, so if i bought it with rages and they had it from manufacture, surely they would accept it as standard for that car?

im not sure, but im with Churchill lol.
Well I was direct line and I told them I had ordered my car brand new from manufacturer with rage alloys. And they then tried to cancel my policy. Churchill said the same, so I gave up and went standard 18s :S

·
Registered
716 Posts
Careful with FRS, whilst it can't easily be seen the parts used differ significantly from standard. Try explaining to your insurance company that the change that was specifically there to go round corners faster had nothing to do with you falling off the road! Other accidents are available.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
For the sake of a phone call, it's worth telling your Insurance Company about mod's, often they will say - that's O.K. - No additional premium required, but spoilers, inbuilt Sat Nav etc are optional extra's and as far as the insurance risk is concerned, you are increasing the cars value and making it more nickable.
Plus - If a car is tuned, lowered, has aftermarket body kit added etc etc WHY :-
Cos you will be driving it faster. Try and see it their way.;)

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Elephant dont charge for optional extras, which Rages are.

FRS is not a mod according to elephant

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
Elephant dont charge for optional extras, which Rages are.

FRS is not a mod according to elephant
they have a option but dont charge which is good, and a lot of mods are only £20 each but they dont cover the cost of it,with all my mods it was only £60 more which i was well happy with, but i did have to pay £20 to because i have a sticker/decal :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
they have a option but dont charge which is good, and a lot of mods are only £20 each but they dont cover the cost of it,with all my mods it was only £60 more which i was well happy with, but i did have to pay £20 to because i have a sticker/decal :facepalm:
anything more than six mods and they have to get it checked by underwriters and price goes up and up and up...

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
My current insurer has said fitting a LSD does not affect my premium.

I still have to declare it but they won't charge me anything for it.

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
My current insurer has said fitting a LSD does not affect my premium.

I still have to declare it but they won't charge me anything for it.
Good point, forgot that one. Same here, no charge for LSD but still counts as a mod

·
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2,653 Posts
The mods you don't tell them about cost nothing to insure...:popcorn2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts