2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet again I find myself back at the dealer with an issue. when washing the car I noticed moisture in the rear light surrounds and also the seal around the plastic rear lower window surround this over time has led to green mold all the way round. Seems its a known problem and a major job to fix. It has to go in to be inspected then HUK contacted etc etc so its going in in 2 weeks and a loan car given whilst its sorted.

In case anyone wonders I left it for a few months as I was sick fed up of going back and forth with issues.

Its so upsetting to have a car that looks this cool (Milano Type s) and now finding myself seriously considering trading it in because it was clearly rushed out the door without enough hard testing.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Yes, the growth on the rear screen is a known problem, especially if you live out in the sticks.
Mine is very bad, but I have given up caring now.
I have taken up growing mushrooms in the crevice now --- 28p a lb.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed. If I kept going back to the dealers with my Civic with all its rattles, I'd never have it to drive.
We all know why the stereo in the Civic is half decent dont we. cant drive mine without it drowning out the buzz from around the dash on certain surfaces.

·
Registered
59 Posts
same problem, can't take it back to Honda under warranty because i had it colour coded grrr. Looks like i have a green lip all round my lights!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'v'e just noticed this on our car too (rear window only however) - good to see I'm not alone.

A black car with green mold that stands out is not a pretty sight. As for living in the sticks, I live in London and the car is 18 months old. Yet another thing to add to the list of issues we've had in 18 months.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
A thought -

This mould is presumably caused by dirty / infected water getting into the gaps in the joins.

Would it work if you used a watering can with mould inhibitor / weed killer and wet the back of the car allowing the 'mixture' to also get into the gaps and kill off the mould?

Not sure how this stuff would react with paint

·
UKDM
779 Posts
Anyone know if there is a revised part for this or they just replace it with a new one and hope the mould doesnt come back till your out of warranty?

·
Registered
75 Posts
dont know - I can see we already have green mold starting to re-appear, although it's no way as bad as it was before.

The car will be going in (again) for the 3rd-2nd gear shift problem and I'll mention it, along with the rattling drivers window, grinding noise from the dash, clunk from front suspension - all things that have been "fixed" in the past.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Anyone know if there is a revised part for this or they just replace it with a new one and hope the mould doesnt come back till your out of warranty?
I was told last year by our local Honda dealer that there was no fix for it and that they wouldn’t replace it, we took mine out and cleaned it with fairy liquid and a tooth brush! A pain in the ass to do but worth it..

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I was told last year by our local Honda dealer that there was no fix for it and that they wouldn’t replace it, we took mine out and cleaned it with fairy liquid and a tooth brush! A pain in the ass to do but worth it..
Got any advice on removing it to clean it? Is it a big job?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I mentioned it to my local Honda dealer and they said you have to remove the lights to do it

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
mould

i was also told it will probably come back and that to get rid of it the rear lights and boot need to be striped. (honda were reluctant to offer me this solution)

i was also told by honda that jet washing the car may have some effect.

i have yet to try this as i dont have a pressure washer. and after a quick look i doubt the entire boot lid needs to be dismantled. looks like just remove the light cluster, wipe, replace. but how often that will need to be done?

another suggetstion was to try and get some bleach in the gap. (syringe perhaps)

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm on my third complete set of rear lights. First the mold then the leaking then the mist up. Honda refuse to change them a 4th time and say its normal!

I have sealed up the edging by dripping super glue into the edge which seals the double glazed plastic. With the boot open the area is horizontal and the glue goes in nicely. I've no more leaking or misty rear lights.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
These can be a pain in the ass to remove although I did recently get rid of some with the power washer but today I used some bleach and water in a syringe complete with needle. Looks like this is the solution as I could see it going into the gap where the moss is and they are now looking clear. Result.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
These can be a pain in the ass to remove although I did recently get rid of some with the power washer but today I used some bleach and water in a syringe complete with needle. Looks like this is the solution as I could see it going into the gap where the moss is and they are now looking clear. Result.
What sort of ratio solution did you use 50/50?
Any signs of damage to the paint?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts