2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We really do all need to get out more!

Most users ever online was 37, 1 Hour Ago at 17:06.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Most users ever online was 55, Yesterday at 21:35 !!

I remember the old days when we had the same record for ages. And that was probably just a glitch caused by an american AOL user. It's getting busier here every day. I can barely keep up with new posts these days. :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
i was waiting for ages for it to be broken

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
No! I was sure there'd been enough traffic to break our record. :(

·
Resident Medic!
191 Posts
Update!

I stumbled across this thread that was last answered 10 months ago, so I went and looked how we'd done since.....

On Friday (29th June 2007) at 1656hrs, there were 665 users online :cool:. Well done Pottsy, look at the family you have created.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
We are on a faster box atm, and the Yahoo spider sees this and sends more visitors. So nearly all of those were Yahoo.

·
Resident Medic!
191 Posts
We are on a faster box atm, and the Yahoo spider sees this and sends more visitors. So nearly all of those were Yahoo.
You had a moment to savour then and you spoiled it! (Are you potty?)

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Comments

quote=medicsource;85634]You had a moment to savour then and you spoiled it! (Are you potty?)[/quote]

Hi Pottsy,
At least the rest of us appreciate your efforts.Keep up the good work.:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I sort of know what it is, but could someone tell me what a Yahoo spider is and how it works?

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
I sort of know what it is, but could someone tell me what a Yahoo spider is and how it works?
I'd like a good answer too, I assume they gather data and info for better searc results, but I was on at 4am the other day and they were all checking me out! Must search for myself sometime!

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Spiders? That must be some kind of bug...

No really:

A web crawler (also known as a Web spider or Web robot) is a program or automated script which browses the World Wide Web in a methodical, automated manner. Other less frequently used names for Web crawlers are ants, automatic indexers, bots, and worms (Kobayashi and Takeda, 2000).

This process is called Web crawling or spidering. Many legitimate sites, in particular search engines, use spidering as a means of providing up-to-date data. Web crawlers are mainly used to create a copy of all the visited pages for later processing by a search engine, that will index the downloaded pages to provide fast searches. Crawlers can also be used for automating maintenance tasks on a Web site, such as checking links or validating HTML code. Also, crawlers can be used to gather specific types of information from Web pages, such as harvesting e-mail addresses (usually for spam).

A Web crawler is one type of bot, or software agent. In general, it starts with a list of URLs to visit, called the seeds. As the crawler visits these URLs, it identifies all the hyperlinks in the page and adds them to the list of URLs to visit, called the crawl frontier. URLs from the frontier are recursively visited according to a set of policies.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
FWH, good explanation. Here a script runs every night and tells Google everything that has been added or removed, so it just looks at those changes and is nice and efficient. Yahoo on the other hand can only deal with a list of URLs (about 100,000 of them, updated by that same script daily) so it's a little more of a shotgun approach.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts