2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I got this advisory today:
Offside Front Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect (5.3.2 (b))

What exactly does it mean and how much would it take to rectify do you reckon?

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Means that the front shock absorber is leaking past the seal, leading to oil in the chrome rod...
The only way to really fix this is to replace the shock. But I was "always brought up", to do both sides, as by doing the one side will rapidly increase the load from the "fresh shock"..
Relatively cheap to buy and do, DIY job defo a possibility for this :)

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Strangely my car is in for MOT today and got exactly the same advisory, O/S/F shock leaking but not enough to fail, of course they can fix that for me for £325..

I will be changing the pair and then the "may as well" kicks in, it's a good opportunity to change the top mounts too, both sides, naturally.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
It would be a skilled DIY person to do this.
"DIY job defo a possibility".. yes true, but it's a harder task than servicing, so if you don't do servicing / brakes yourself you can't tackle this.

I would think both sides would be 1.5 - 2 hours, so budget £150 parts + £150 Labour for the job

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
It would be a skilled DIY person to do this.
"DIY job defo a possibility".. yes true, but it's a harder task than servicing, so if you don't do servicing / brakes yourself you can't tackle this.

I would think both sides would be 1.5 - 2 hours, so budget £150 parts + £150 Labour for the job
You'll be lucky unless backstreet. At Honda it's around £300+ per side.

I did get a quote from Formula 1 Auto only last month though - £105 for part and £50 labour = £155 per side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts