2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
One Winged Angel
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys

I know there are a few people on here who work for insurance companies so I thought I'd get some opinions.

Friend of mine was driving home from work the other night and some idiot scraped along the side of his car at a point where the lanes merge. The other driver admitted fault at the time and they exchanged details at the scene.

My friend got home and was about to report it to his insurance company; When he got his folder out he has realised his MOT has expired, he thought it was up to the 20th December but it was in fact the 20th November.

He is worried about reporting it now, even though the accident wasn't his fault he's worried that the insurance might cancel his policy or find for the other driver as he didn't have a valid MOT at the time.

Any ideas?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
If the policy refers to an MOT being required, they are stuffed. However most policies only refer to keeping the vehicle in a roadworthy condition, which can be argued is indeed the case even without an MOT certificate.

The vehicle will be assessed, and based on the fact that your friend wasn't at fault then it is unlikely the insurer will even check for an MOT.

As I understand it, no MOT won't be an issue. But I wouldn't go volunteering any information...

·
Unofficial Trader
1,295 Posts
Just as Syx said, he does not need to volunteer that information. The other driver has admitted it is his fault. Your friend should get his MOT done first thing tomorrow morning..now..pronto..immediately (I am sure you get the drift). The sooner he gets this done, the better for him.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Im not sure what the wording in my policy was regarding an MOT but I had a similar thing when someone rear ended Accord. My Accord was a right off, the mot expired 3 weeks before, Direct Line just deducted the cost of an MOT from the payout.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
"Its not an offense to drive a car without an MOT, but it is an offence to drive an unroadworthy vehicle." At least that what I was told by a friend of mine a couple of years ago who was a police officer. Not sure how true the statement is.

Gaz

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Im not sure what the wording in my policy was regarding an MOT but I had a similar thing when someone rear ended Accord. My Accord was a right off, the mot expired 3 weeks before, Direct Line just deducted the cost of an MOT from the payout.

Just to add to this, there was no mention of MOT by the insurance company until they had actually written the Accord off, it was at this point they requested a copy of the MOT certificate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts