2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all time is almost here for my civic to go in for its mot last few have seen it fly through no problem
I cover around 25k miles a year and never had a problem however now the time for usual wear and tear has came

Over the last few weeks it has been making some noises that have gradually gotten worse
One of them is a strange noise coming from the back wheel I think that could be a bearing

The ones I'm unsure about however are
It has developed a knocking, going in a straight line it's fine , coasting round a corner it's fines but when accelerating round a corner etc I get a knocking noise I get it if I'm turning right or left so it's coming from both ends
The more I accelerate the louder it gets and it's loud as hell outside of the car .

I don't know great deal about this type of stuff could it be droplinks/track rods/drive shaft ?
It will be going into a garage to be repaired over the next couple of weeks I'm just curious as to what could be wrong so I have a rough thought of how much it's going to cost

I've just put 4 new tyres on it and discs and pads all round so hopefully once these issues are sorted it will pass

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,512 Posts
might want to check that the new pads aren't moving in the caliper and causing the knock.
drop links would make noise going over bumps
bearing is easy to check - jack up the offending wheel so it's clear of the ground, grab hold at 3 & 9 o'clock and then 12 & 6 o'clock and rock towards and away from you, if there is any clear movement then suspect the bearing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is the "knock" more of a clack,clack,clack,clack,...... if so it's worth checking the CV (Constant Velocity) joints on the drive shafts. it's not that easy to diagnose on the ground other than in an open area at slow speed on full lock and get someone to listen as you drive on full lock each way ... it's usually more obvious under load a little load.

You can check the rear bearings by jacking up and (putting a block or axle stand under for safety) then ease the rear disk pads apart a little with a spanner or screwdriver so the wheel can spin free, then by hand, spin the wheel up as fast as you can and listen for a cyclic rumble noise, good bearings should run almost silent.

IHTH
Laurie.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dont know about civics but when I had my hyundai coupe and going round corners and they was knocking it always point to the cv joints. Do you know your local mechanic well, if so get them to do a pre mot check so you know what is required to get it through first time. If they know thet going to get the work they will do a quick check for you, thats what I usally do a couple week before my mot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes the critical point about CV joints for MOT is the (rubber) boots not being split and losing grease or allowing the ingress of water. In general, a MOT (DOE) test does not include a road test unless its 4x4 or has some other reason that the brake rolling road cannot be used but they might pick up a CV when moving the car into the test bay.
While they will turn the steering on full lock and rotate the wheels to check wheel to body clearance, as I said above a worn CV joint will usually only chatter under load.
All that said I've seen cars throw a (worn) CV joint if left to chatter too long and it can make a nasty mess. False economy not to pop a joint on if you have worn chattering ones :)

Laurie.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice .
Had car in for pre mot today needed 2 bulbs and 2 new shock absorbers. He said the knocking could be coming from driveshaft shocks getting done next Friday he's doing both shocks the bulbs spark plugs and putting a new mot on it for 259 once the shocks are done he's going to go and hunt for the knocking main thing at the moment is getting it through its mot

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good stuff, keep us updated on the results of the knock investigation but I'm sure it will turn out to be the CV joint :)
L.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all sorry forgot to message back . Needed 2 new shocks couple of bulbs . Knocking isn't fixed yet that's happening over the next few days . All in all I'm happy passed mot with just 1 advisory which was under trays :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts