2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Type S for nearly a year now, 1.8 petrol version, 57 plate with 20k miles. I was thinking of trading it in for a similar age/miles Type R and wondered if anyone had done the same and could tell me what they thought about:

a) the running costs, in terms of fuel economy, servicing, tyres, insurance etc.

b) have typers come down in price as fuel cost have risen?

c) what sort of trade in I'd get - paid 11k I think last April, glass book says 8ish now in good condition, but I don't know if I am to expect more given the type of trade? - mine is pretty mint.

I'm torn between holding off another 18 months before changing, this will be my fourth car in <3years, am not sure whether or not to hold off for something different altogether - quite like the new alfas.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
IMO, I would hold off, fuel price/end of new FN2 R production its not clear what value the car has, as the N/A type r FN2 will be the last one by Honda (In my opinion).
If you dont think the next gen is for you (new will be too dear), jump in anytime!

The only hope is the next gen will have a forced induction engine with Honda build, boy the tuners will be busy :)

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
I've had my Type S for nearly a year now, 1.8 petrol version, 57 plate with 20k miles. I was thinking of trading it in for a similar age/miles Type R and wondered if anyone had done the same and could tell me what they thought about:

a) the running costs, in terms of fuel economy, servicing, tyres, insurance etc.

b) have typers come down in price as fuel cost have risen?

c) what sort of trade in I'd get - paid 11k I think last April, glass book says 8ish now in good condition, but I don't know if I am to expect more given the type of trade? - mine is pretty mint.

I'm torn between holding off another 18 months before changing, this will be my fourth car in <3years, am not sure whether or not to hold off for something different altogether - quite like the new alfas.
i moved from 1.8 to Type R, I'm
very pleased i did it:

a) obviously mpg is worse but i worked it out to be £40 more a month in petrol, insurance for me has £150 more

b) no

c) one honda dealer offered me 1500 less than where i got my fn2 from, my advise is shop around. i reckon most you can hope for is about £8,500.

Thing is will u be happy with the 1.8 knowing u could have a type r? 1.8 isnt slow by any means but the fn2 is seriously fun to drive, if u can afford it get type r now, you only live once!

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
The only hope is the next gen will have a forced induction engine with Honda build, boy the tuners will be busy :)
I doubt that will ever happen, i hope it doesnt to be honest.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
I doubt that will ever happen, i hope it doesnt to be honest.
Next gen Civics are widely rumoured to have 1.6 turbo engines with either 160bhp or 200bhp. Although the 200bhp may only be for the warm CR-Z.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Next gen Civics are widely rumoured to have 1.6 turbo engines with either 160bhp or 200bhp. Although the 200bhp may only be for the warm CR-Z.
What the Civic Type R?

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
What the Civic Type R?
If that's what Honda decide to call it. They might only make a Type R CR-Z and not a Civic, just calling the Civic a Type S so as not to dilute the Type R brand.

Currently though Honda don't have a performance car that you can buy from them, and 200bhp isn't considered a lot now. Look at Top Gear tonight, 350 in the Focus and 400 in the Subaru. So they've either got to do something amazing in the future or maybe leave the Type R badge alone altogether.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for the replies, the dealership wanted 3k to trade in for equivalent age/mileage, given that the cars relative values were the same (according to glass) I couldn't warrant the upgrade. Going to hold off for a little while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts