2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since once and a while I can hear a noise coming from dash area I checked the windshield fixation.

It seems possible on my car to push IN the windshield about 1mm (only on the lower area)
Can somebody else check if this is normal?
Just push on the windshield arround here

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just checked mine and it does move a little when its pressed hard.

Don't hear any noise coming from the dash area though.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot, it makes me a bit more confident :)
It could be normal that the lower part of the screen is not fixed tight...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hmm.. i was wondering this also, mainly because i can hear sounds coming from the windscreen when the car is driven over unequal ground (snow) and the torso is twisted. Like the glass would twist or something. Or maybe it's the classic clips in the windscreen thingie :)

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked my wifes HRV, no way to move the windshield
Can some more check the Civ windscreen please...

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
My windscreen started squeaking after about 3000 miles. It wasn't constant but was more noticeable when passing over uneven surfaces or driving over a roundabout. I mentioned it the my dealer - who looked perplexed and said that they were unaware of any windscreen creaks (!). Anyway, one afternoon after filling the washers up, I lent on the lower portion of the windscreen fixing and that plastic started singing to me, very loudly. It have some noticeable movement as I pushed it in along the entire width of the fixings. Next time I drove - the creaking had stopped. It has reoccurred a few times since - but a gentle push of the plastic beneath the wipers seems to sort it out. When I'm passing the dealership I'll pop in and I'll get them to take a look.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mattfog, but can you push IN the windscreen itself (not the plastic covering it) ?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
No problem, Stef. It was the plastic covering that I pushed in rather than the windscreen itself. I did also notice that the creaking from the fixings seem to be worse if water had penetrated it; I guess either from rain or the washer spray. I looked under the bonnet - and some of the plastic pins that hold the covering place also seemed to have worked a little loose (it was strange as my first 2999'ish miles of driving had been squeak and creak free). Now I give the plastic covering a prod every so often or, if I hear a rogue squeak, and it seems to work - but obviously is an inherent problem which I will ask my dealer to investigate.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Stef, my screen can definately be flexed at that point and also creaks badly. Most creaking, however, is from behind the A-pillars and roof lining.

Car delivery date 2nd June 06.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stef, my screen can definately be flexed at that point and also creaks badly. Most creaking, however, is from behind the A-pillars and roof lining.

Car delivery date 2nd June 06.
Thanks PCR, my car is delivered September, but made in July. I did notice if it gets warmer I get more creaks from the roofliner. I think to remove the roofliner anytime soon when it gets warmer and inspect the clips (apply some silicone grease to the clips can do wonders) PS. I have the glass roof.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
So on the very limited evidence so far, if the screen can be depressed along the bottom edge, then this may cause it to creak.

Please tell if you can support or debunk this view.

Just to note, I can find three threads relating to the windscreen being replaced to fix creaks, all seem to have been successful.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,171 Posts
sounds like the bonding has not stuck to the windscreen. got any water leaks? check the carpets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
moving screen

Moving screen at the bottom and creaking when going over bumps. Screen is being removed and re-bonded at my dealers next Wed. Also, having the fuel flap mod done at the same time. Will report on the results next week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Point to Note:-

The windscreen is part of the structure of the car, hence the reason the are bonded to the bodywork.

I'd be very unhappy if I suspected my screen was "loose".

Mike.

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
I gave my screen a poke just now and, yes, it moves in a good millimetre or so at the base.

It's good that I came across this thread as I was going to post asking if anyone knew why my dash was creaking whenever I hit a bump this morning; it does this once every few weeks, usually when it's been cold and damp overnight. I have wondered whether it might be caused by something expanding or contracting in line with temperature or humidity.

I did mention this to the dealer but, as with other faults, because it couldn't be replicated on demand they didn't seem interested.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
me too

I have the rattles and the moving screen honda have agreed I can have this fixed

Good of them isn't it

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Oh dear, a lot of windscreen replacements coming to light, I've been dreading this. There should be a definitive way to know if the creaking is due to the screen and not just the trim.

I would have thought that badly bonded windscreens would result in a recall on safety grounds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts