2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought a good CD-RW disc and wanted to create a nice mp3 disc with my favourite music framed alphabetically in 6 folders. I simply burn a CD with those 6 folders using Nero StartSmart. Unfortunately my car's mp3 player says that my first folder on the CD (A-B) is the second one and there is no first folder, so I have from 2 - 7 without the first one instead of 1 - 6.
Why is that so?

·
Type-R GT [R-11523]
278 Posts
Yeah... It counts empty folders including the root. It also plays alphabetically by folder and then track.

What this means is that if you want a specific album play order you need to put a number at the beginning of each folder name. ie:

"01 - folder 1"
"02 - folder 2"

...etc.

It also does this for tracks - so if you use single digits for the first 9 tracks of a cd (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,etc)...

It will play in this order: 1,10,11,12,2,3,4,5,etc...

So you have to make sure your track filenames are:
"01 - song name.mp3"
not:
"1 - song name.mp3"

...annoying - but I use my iPod most of the time anyway... limited it may be but at least it knows that 2 is BEFORE 10.

-H

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I get it! It wasn't a big problem, cause all burned tracks and folders were on the CD but it was bit annoying. I tried many methods to make the first folder really be the first one. I'll burn the CD again tommorow and use your advice. Thanks!

·
Type-R GT [R-11523]
278 Posts
No probs - glad I could help :)

-H

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I had to go through 12 GB of music and add the track numbers in front of the file name!!! GOD that took a long time! But was worth it! lol

·
Type-R GT [R-11523]
278 Posts
I have 86GB of music.... so I opted for the iPod kit - it sucks in many ways but at least it knows that 1 and 01 are the same thing....

-H

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I have 86GB of music.... so I opted for the iPod kit - it sucks in many ways but at least it knows that 1 and 01 are the same thing....

-H
86GB!!

What bit-rate is that at??

One of the marketing guys I support moaned at me once that his hard drive was nearly full... and I pointed out that he had been storing music on there at the rate of about 500MB a cd! I don't see how anyone needs that much play quality! lol

·
Type-R GT [R-11523]
278 Posts
86GB!!

One of the marketing guys I support moaned at me once that his hard drive was nearly full... and I pointed out that he had been storing music on there at the rate of about 500MB a cd! I don't see how anyone needs that much play quality! lol
It's all at 256 - 320 Kbps....

...but I have lots of space - my file server has 4.3 terrabytes of storage....

-H

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
The only real thing to remember when burning an MP3 CD is that it must be burned as "Data" and not as an audio CD.

Mine work fine :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had to go through 12 GB of music and add the track numbers in front of the file name!!! GOD that took a long time! But was worth it! lol
For others who are about to go through the same hassle: There are some very handy MP3-tag editors around, that let you automatically number the songs, and put the number at the beginning of the filename.
I use MP3Tag to do that job for me.
With 12 GB of music it will still be tedious, but it will go much faster.

Also, If you use iTunes: iTunes can burn the MP3 CD for you, and puts a number before the folder and filename automatically as well. Remember to burn the CD from a "smart" playlist to get the folder structure on CD.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
86GB!!

It's about how you're listening to it though.

I have over 200GB all losslessly encoded. I also keep a copy of the library converted at 192KBs. I've build a fairly trick PC with recording industry sound card acting like a CD transport to a nice A/D coverter and then into my NAIM hi-fi. So knowing that I have all the ones and zeroes in the file is important.

However when my ears can't tell the difference - in the Honda, on the train, down the gym, I listen at 192K and for must purposes that's fine.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Bu vinyl sounds better anyway :)
(Also a NAim/Linn owner)
Agreed, the beetles sound soooooo good on vinyl, especially Seargent Pepper :) Want to buy a better turntable though..... my one isn't loud enough, I'm trying to find some 90s D&B to try on it, but my mates are all on CD or casette :-(

ATB,
Tom

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Earliest I was was 1985 ;-) I love all Vinyl there is something 'sexy' about the quality of the tone and it is almost indescribable.

Believe you me, there are some bands I would have killed to see, my mum and dad saw the Beatles at 'the Cavern' I believe. I would have illed to see bands like that live...... :-( Still regret not going to Lemmy's Christmas party..... I love alsorts, so don't penalise me for liking Motorhead and the Beatles :lol:

ATB,
Tom

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I have always liked the Beatles too.
and have converted a number of their CDs onto mp3 for the car.
I bumped into Paul and Linda, many years ago.
I was just about to go into an antique shop to try and find a barometer for my Dad and up they pulled in their Roller, to visit the same shop.
Very down to earth they were. If I remember correctly, neither of them had shoes on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts