2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I burn my music as Mp3 onto Disc using Nero and create folders to avoid having to scan the whole disc.

My problem is after a few times playing the disc for some unknown reason the disc loses it's folders and music plays on folder one.

I tried exploring the disc on pc and sure enough all folders had gone. This is baffling as I would assume that a cd-r burned as data could not be erased.

Has anybody else encountered this problem.?

PS The disc when first burned always started at folder two but afterwards when the folders disappeared, disc plays as folder one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happened with the first disc I burned as Mp3.

I have since burned the same disc again only using cd-rw so will see how long that one lasts before it deletes the folders.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Try burning the same compilation slower (as with X8 instead with X54 speed). Digital technology is one thing and the quality of the "pits" and "lands" on the CD is another...

(this happens on stationary players, too, especially with cheap CDs)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try burning the same compilation slower (as with X8 instead with X54 speed). Digital technology is one thing and the quality of the "pits" and "lands" on the CD is another...

(this happens on stationary players, too, especially with cheap CDs)
I agree with the above but you would think that the folders would be missing from the start. Cd played perfectly then suddenly lost the folders.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I can only guess that the directory structure on the CD has become unreadable, causing the player to ignore it and see only the music files.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I agree with the above but you would think that the folders would be missing from the start. Cd played perfectly then suddenly lost the folders.
It seems logical yet what I've experienced with my previous cars and sadly a part of my mp3 discs, the problem is developing gradually and it usually affects the periphery of the disc first (I don't know why though)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for your advice. I certainly won't be using my good bought discs in the future if that's what's going to happen. I'll stick to cd-rw to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I use cheap CD-R disc in my Civic all the time and have done for over a year.
All the discs I have made and used over that time (and are still in daily use) are still working with no issues at all.

Ian

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks to all for your advice. I certainly won't be using my good bought discs in the future if that's what's going to happen. I'll stick to cd-rw to be on the safe side.
It won't be a problem with the civic's CD player. It will be a problem with the disc you used.

And in my experience, i've found CD-RW's far more temperamental and unpredictable than using CD-R's

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
I use cheap CD-R disc in my Civic all the time and have done for over a year.
All the discs I have made and used over that time (and are still in daily use) are still working with no issues at all.

Ian

Same here - except only 3 months

Been using them in other cars for about 2 years though.

·
Strange Engineer
124 Posts
I've used quality (TDK) CD-R's to burn MP3's about 1,5 year ago and all of them are still playing OK. Even after 2 summer holidays with the usual warm weather and a black car (not a Civic though and a Kenwood player).

So, buy some quality brand and burn them one or two notches slower than their max rated burning speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think your missing the point Steeph. The disc plays ok, it's the fact that it's lost it's folders. I assumed that a cd-r once burned could not be altered.

·
Strange Engineer
124 Posts
I think your missing the point Steeph. The disc plays ok, it's the fact that it's lost it's folders. I assumed that a cd-r once burned could not be altered.
Ah, it still plays. Hmm, a problem with the TOC is unlikely then as the files itself still can be found.

But, a CD-R can still be altered after burning though. If the session is not 'closed' it can be updated. Perhaps you could try to check the option "Finalise" when buring a CD with Nero. Then it can't be altered anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts