2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my car back after it's service and decided to check the trip computer (usually this is reset by some manufactures after a service) but I was pleased to see it hadn't been.

Switching to mpg the other day I was horrified to see the car was averaging 6mpg. On investigation I noticed the display had gone onto 'data 2' - this being the 'trip' I do not reset. A cycle through the display and a quick calculation confirmed that the trip computer must only count the miles up to 999 miles.

It has remembered everything else but has started again at 0 miles after the 10k point was reached.

Has anybody else left their trip running since new???

·
Banned
477 Posts
Sooo, that was the reason!!! I was blaming the service that they had reset my "B" scale which I was keeping untouched right from the start.. Good that I did not make any moans...:oops:[smilie=smack.gif]

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well....mine has about 11000 kilometers on the clock and I went for the filler cap replacement two weeks ago and noticed the same thing ! Also thought that it had to do with the service reset but the trip computer said the same....so I was confused.
Now reading this topic I strongly suppose that it has to do with passing the 10000 kilometers.

so miles or kilometers.....there seems to be no difference. After 9999 (4 digits) it resets is my conclusion!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Well....mine has about 11000 kilometers on the clock and I went for the filler cap replacement two weeks ago and noticed the same thing ! Also thought that it had to do with the service reset but the trip computer said the same....so I was confused.
Now reading this topic I strongly suppose that it has to do with passing the 10000 kilometers.

so miles or kilometers.....there seems to be no difference. After 9999 (4 digits) it resets is my conclusion!
Mine also has about 11000km, but nothing wrong with my trip and average fuel consumption.

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine also has about 11000km, but nothing wrong with my trip and average fuel consumption.
Meino
Is this the trip that calculates on the total mileage? and you haven't reset it since purchase from new?

If so - when did you buy your Civic or when was it manufactured.

(correction: mine went wrong after 9999 miles not 999 :oops:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My trip B is currently showing 0.9MPG! 9875 miles on the clock and I have not reset since new. I think this problem occured tonight as I drove the last 5 miles to the petrol station with the reading stating zero miles of petrol in the tank. Still only took 45.5 litres to fill the tank and that was to the second stop on the pump. I did notice that once I got to zero miles of petrol that the trip MPG started increasing quite quickly from around 44.2 to 45.3 over the last 5 miles of my journey (total trip A mileage was 420 miles).

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check your calculations carefully before disagreeing

I'd expect that all Civics will suffer this issue - I don't believe Honda are proactive in any way shape or form.

call me a cynical Problem Manager!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Meino
Is this the trip that calculates on the total mileage? and you haven't reset it since purchase from new?

If so - when did you buy your Civic or when was it manufactured.

(correction: mine went wrong after 9999 miles not 999 :oops:)
Miggens,

I am driving my Civic since October 2006. At this moment I have 12.000km on the clock and haven't reset the trip. My trip B displays an average of 7.3l/100km, which is correct and on the total mileage.
I assume it is an '06 civic, but I am not totally sure.

Meino

·
您看了
456 Posts
Erm... it's a trip computer?

How many cars out there on the market have trip computers that go over 9999miles and keep counting for the life of the car?
Trip computers are designed as a tool for you to use on "a trip" not as an overall life of the car calculation. I have never owned a car where the trip computer will keep counting indefinately until you reset it, in fact every car I have ever owned has had a trip computer that only runs into 4 figures. Its a "trip" computer not an "odometer".

If the trip is reseting at 9999miles then there is nothing wrong here, although I see there are yet more calls of "design flaw" and moans about it being Honda's fault........

[smilie=grrrrrr.gif]

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Erm... it's a trip computer?

How many cars out there on the market have trip computers that go over 9999miles and keep counting for the life of the car?
Trip computers are designed as a tool for you to use on "a trip" not as an overall life of the car calculation. I have never owned a car where the trip computer will keep counting indefinately until you reset it, in fact every car I have ever owned has had a trip computer that only runs into 4 figures. Its a "trip" computer not an "odometer".

If the trip is reseting at 9999miles then there is nothing wrong here, although I see there are yet more calls of "design flaw" and moans about it being Honda's fault........

[smilie=grrrrrr.gif]
We are not talking about the trip computer resetting at 9999 miles, but about the mpg (or l/100km) that show inaccurate figures.
Nobody is complaning about the trip computer resetting at 9999 miles...

·
您看了
456 Posts
We are not talking about the trip computer resetting at 9999 miles, but about the mpg (or l/100km) that show inaccurate figures.
Nobody is complaning about the trip computer resetting at 9999 miles...
Really?

The overall feeling from this post is that people are moaning that the average mpg on "Trip B" is resetting at 9999miles when trip B resets?

That is what I have read from this thread and if I am correct with my assumption then I stand by my post.
The average mpg figure in "Trip B" is for "Trip B", not for the life of the car. So this average mpg figure should reset itself when "Trip B" reaches its maximum allowed/designed mileage. This reset will make it appear that the car has malfunctioned if the person looking is assuming a feature is present that is not (overall lifetime mpg average is not stored in Trip B).

These are "trip" computers designed to record mpg/average speed/distance travelled/fuel to go over a single trip. The fact that you can leave them for 9999miles before they reset themselves is totally irrelevant.

I have my "Trip A" setup to reset itself with every fill up so I can get a rough idea of mpg/distance, "Trip B" is used if I want to calculate a single Trip, just as the manufacturer intended. If I don’t need "Trip B" I just leave it and ignore any figures stored there.

I stand by my post that there is no design flaw (or fault with Honda themselves) over this "non" issue. It is simply a function of the car that was not understood correctly.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
CivPilot,

What you write is totally truth, but the problem here is that the mpg is reset and in some cases shows figures of 0,6 or 9mpg. When the mpg is reset after 9999 miles, I would expect the calculation starts all over and should show the normal mpg.

·
您看了
456 Posts
CivPilot,

What you write is totally truth, but the problem here is that the mpg is reset and in some cases shows figures of 0,6 or 9mpg. When the mpg is reset after 9999 miles, I would expect the calculation starts all over and should show the normal mpg.

What your saying there is technically spot on :) , however, have you ever checked your MPG figure on trip A a couple of miles after filling up? It gives super spurious readings for the first 3 or 4 miles (seen Trip A reading 6mpg on several tanks within a mile of the petrol station). Within 5 miles this figure is stable and reasonably accurate as a guide.

I've have seen "Trip B" reading silly figures (Both high and low) when I have flicked over to rate a trip "up norf". However it is still just a trip computer and I have found that resetting it manually cures any spurious readings. So maybe this automatic 9999 reset does confuse it slightly at times, but it's still only a "trip" computer, not an "overall computer" so a simple reset sorts things out.

I really think that it is hardly a major "issue" that Honda are ignoring. Honda probably assume that people are using the two trips in the same way I am ("A" per tank, "B" per trip when needed) as I get the impression that this is the functional reason for having 2 trip computers one of which has the option to reset per tank automatically.
Yes, it would be great if the car permanently stored overall accurate mpg etc but seeing as most people don't bother with this information (or just work it out accurately themselves based on fill up recipts) I dont think Honda missed any particular trick not fitting such a feature.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
LOL

my only minor gripe is just that - minor.

If Honda can get it to keep count up to 9,999 - why would they?

If it had been just 999 - THAT would have been understandable - a trip of one thousand miles would be pretty much a rare event I would have thought, for most people.

But if they (obviously) thought to themselves 'hmmmm - might get a few people going over that on a trip - let's give the an extra digit!' - why didn't they then think to themselves 'actually, if we give them 2 extra digits, they need never resest it, and can use it as a since day 1 counter' :D

LOL - it's not like they had to install an extra £500 processor chip to display an extra '9' :D

At the end of the day - am I upset about it? Nope.

Am I surprised it reset? Yep.

Could I really, in the grand scheme of things, care less? Nope :D

And for anyone who is worried - at 10,890 miles, my B trip is back to reading around 45mpg - just like it was when I last checked about 1500 miles ago :)

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its called a Glove Box by some - what do you use yours for?

CP - Strange other manufacturers can build a 'trip' computer to remember the mileage over 10000miles - I have had two SEATs that did (one still does at over 60,000miles - wow!!!!).

Regardless of how long you set your trip for it should remember the correct details - not much to ask and as stated not a major expense just another oversight. I use mine as an indication on overall running costs (pa) and don't care how others use theirs. I want mine to work to what I believe is a reasonable expectation. If it’s the fact that it's called a 'trip' computer that's the problem - call it something else. ‘In car Computer’????

I agree with TT - it's a minor fault but it seems to CP everything is down to people having a moan at Honda and it not being a 'Design Flaw' (same old story!) - If you are happy with your car fine - most people are just passing comment on possible issues for discussion - and even some are identifying either solutions, work arounds or even that theirs does work past the 10K mark - mmmm :idea:

I'm not using my trip as an odometer, I use it to calc the overall fuel consumption and don't care about the actual mileage. The reason, because hey it’s the same as the odometer! I have also been on close to 5000mile trips and could easily double it if I could afford the time off to travel (might be a push but willing to try ;).)

I don't expect a perfect vehicle but unless people identify issues, bugs, faults, irritations or suggested improvements - we won't take a single step out of the mire! Maybe it’s because I spent several years in both the motor and computing industries trying to develop and engineer better solutions that I have the wrong approach?

It remembers the fuel used - maybe that will reset at 1000 gallons/litres?

And before anyone asks - Yes I’m grumpy – I’ve just started commuting to London by train and I'm hating every minute of it!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts