2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I have a Type S and so much want the Type R experience that I am thinking of trading in after 6 months. I love my current car but got the bug!
I have to be careful though as I have to commute from Manchester to Leeds for work so was wondering what the combined mpg difference might be? I currently get around 34mpg ie 390+ per tank

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I'm driving to work through usually awful traffic in brum (as i do daily) I get no more than 25MPG.

But on motorway trips (again I do these often) I get anything from 35-38MPG :)

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Scarey, figures. Gutted when my 2.2 goes below 50mpg. Had it a week (not mapped yet) and it's averaged to 53.8mpg (on the computer anyhow).

Do own an MR2 turbo also which averages to 26 mpg sensible driving and 15 mpg spirited.

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
I do about 700-800 miles per month and I'm able to average 35MPG with mixed driving in my CTR (according to the onboard computer). I don't have as many opportunities to VTEC on my way to work but I still get my fair share in. :)
I can get about 350 - 375 (max) miles to a tank. Two and a bit fill ups sees me through and I'm pretty happy with that. :)

On the 720 mile round trip from Falkirk - Corby I done in June I averaged 39MPG doing about 72-75MPH with cruise set 95% of the time.

I always use V-Power and am convinced that has improved my MPG over the months.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amazed at the responses with mine being an 1.8 and still the same mpg??? Any other costs to consider compared too the S? Does the higher octane petrol really make any diff? Realise it's all about the additives buries V power better than the competitors? Thanks for everyone's input by the way ;-)

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Amazed at the responses with mine being an 1.8 and still the same mpg??? Any other costs to consider compared too the S? Does the higher octane petrol really make any diff? Realise it's all about the additives buries V power better than the competitors? Thanks for everyone's input by the way ;-)
I honestly don't know mate. It could be in my head but have stuck with V-Power anyway. :)
The first couple of weeks of owning it I just used the regular supermarket fuel like I always used to. Then one day decided to try V-Power and worked out that I was getting more to a tank when using it. I worked out the extra £5 or so it cost for 50 litres outweighed the cost of what appeared to be needing more 95RON stuff.
But again, loads of factors might have contributed to the improved MPG.

Insurance will be another consideration, but for me it was fuel consumption that was the concern as I had a cheap and ecomomical diesel 206 before the CTR.
But, for me it wasn't as bad as I was expecting and totally worth it mate! :)

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Insurance was less of I shock than expected an extra £170 a year ;-) That was Tesco too! Not tried the one on here?

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Aye, mine was originally something similar. In the end it only turned out to be about £50 extra as I'm with Tesco and simply disclosing my Club Card number resulted in close to £150 being knocked off. lol
I was shocked, but VERY pleasently surprised! :)

So do you think a CTR purchase will soon be on the cards if you're happy with the numbers? :)

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope so just need to find a decent 09 to trade with my 59 type s ;-) oh and get past the wife lol

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
I hope so just need to find a decent 09 to trade with my 59 type s ;-) oh and get past the wife lol
LOL I don't think that'll take much doing mate.
You have the evidence here that the running costs won't be that much more than you pay at the minute. :)

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fingers crossed although it might cost me a new pair of heals! Obviously for the wife ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
I've averaged 30.4 over 15000 miles mixed driving according to the dash. I think in reality it's a little bit less than that but not much.

Factor in slightly higher insurance, tax, tyres (assuming you don't have 18/19s on your 1.8)...etc

What I didn't factor in was the amount of cash I have spent on modding! :D

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've averaged 30.4 over 15000 miles mixed driving according to the dash. I think in reality it's a little bit less than that but not much.

Factor in slightly higher insurance, tax, tyres (assuming you don't have 18/19s on your 1.8)...etc

What I didn't factor in was the amount of cash I have spent on modding! :D
Lol tell me about it I spent loads on modding my 1.8 god knows what I will do if I do end up with a type r :)

·
#darkside
2,238 Posts
Lots of short slow journeys with stops and starts sees me between 25.5MPG and 27.4MPG depending on the time of year. (More MPG when the kids are on holidays due to clearer roads in the mornings and evenings).

I get about 32MPG on my longer trips bringing my average to about 29.5MPG.

None of this is using the onboard computer as sometimes its massively out.

From full to fuel light can be anything from 30 to 23MPG yet working out how many ltrs I put in at the pump and how many miles I did over the tank shows 29.something MPG.

Swings and roundabouts really as you can get very good mpg of 90% of the tank and then awful over 10% of the tank yet its that last 10% that may have the computer telling you you have a lead foot when in reality you may not.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
I get about 300 to a tank. At the mo I'm averaging 33mpg and that's mainly stop start driving. With a couple of miles in a 60mph limit.

On a motorway journey on a full tank I got 380 miles before I needed to fill up.

The worst cost is tax.
It's a rip off. Plus servicing would be more than the 1.8.

Graham

1 - 20 of 41 Posts