2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I have now filled my 1.8V-Tech up twice, on both occasions the Computer was telling me I was getting 41 - 42 MPG but both times I calculate 37 - 38 MPG. Which is a long way out, my wife’s Jazz is spot on.

I do an 18 mile journeys to work A & B roads used to get 37 MPG from my previous 1.6 car so I was amazed when the Computer said 42 MPG.

So I am disappointed twice, once because the car is less economical then it told me it was and twice because there is now something wrong with it.

Has anybody checked the actual MPG against the computer reading?

And what are other 1.8V-Tech owners getting regarding MPG?

Regards, Dave

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have always checked mine by 'full tank refill/miles covered' and it usually agrees within 1 mpg, though occasionally up to 2 mpg optimistic on the car's display. The tendency is for the car's display to be a bit optimistic.;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have checked my 2.2 ex from new. done about 3000 miles and it usually 2 to 3 mpg optimistic on the car's display. but still getting 50mpg + so well happy.:D :D :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mines the same - the electronic MPG is almost always 10% over the actual mpg. At least 10% is easy to deduct in my head to get a realistic reading at a glance. Personally I think if Honda are going to bother fitting an electronic mpg meter they should at least try and get it more accurate than this, otherwise, they might as well have not bothered!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
There's another thread where the concensous is that it reads too high, so I would assume that this is intended, for obvious reasons.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
except that...

Does anyone have a for sure, 100% certain answer as to which calculation using what mileometer or other method of measuring distance? :)

We know that the speedo reads high.

I don't know for certain if the mileometer therefore reads high too?

We're pretty sure that the 'real time' fuel use guage is based on how much fuel is being squirted through the injectors.

But I have no idea how it works out the mpg for the tank (or since reset) - but I don't think it's based on the entire distance since filling up - mine fluctuates too much for that...

all of which doesn't help a great deal (sorry!), other than to say that I use my mpg display as an indication - it's not like I base my fuel buying decisions on it :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The thing I have found with mine is that the MPG per tank reading varies quite a bit depending on how you drive immediatley after the reset - I have mine set to reset on fill up. The long term MPG, that I've now got about 6000 miles on seems to be more accurate.

If you fill the car up, then drive hard immediately for a few miles, the average MPG for that tanks starts low, and never seems to recover. If you drive very gently after a fill up for a while, the MPG reads high.

Typically I see about 480 - 500 miles between fill ups, best I've managed is 530 miles, worst was 440. On a 45 litre fill up, which is about where the warning comes on on my car, that's 44MPG worst, 53MPG best, 49MPG average. The long term average is now showing 49.2 MPG, so pretty much bang on over the last 6K miles. The MPG per tank has varied from 38 - 56MPG on different tanks! It must be something to do with the way it's calculated...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have 1.8 petrol Civic. I checked the actual MPG against the computer reading several times. I must say that computer is always to optimistic. In my case it is that the lower MPG, the bigger difference between actual and computer reading. It always varies from 2 to 5 MPG.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 1.8 petrol Civic. I checked the actual MPG against the computer reading several times. I must say that computer is always to optimistic. In my case it is that the lower MPG, the bigger difference between actual and computer reading. It always varies from 2 to 5 MPG.
Hi 4gotten, What MPG do you actually get?

Could other 1.8 owners also tell me mhat MPG they actually get?

Regards, Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
Actual MPG; Civic 1.8

Hi 4gotten, What MPG do you actually get?

Could other 1.8 owners also tell me mhat MPG they actually get?

Regards, Dave
I had my car for over a month and I drove 2600 km (ca 1600 miles).
According to my calculations my MPG is 41. I am happy with that. MPG is the same as I had when I used to drive Hyundai Accent 1.5 petrol but it had 50 hp less.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
when the motor is running and the car is stopped, does the MPG computer indicates any value for the instant consume??? My actual car indicates 0 MPG (SEAT IBIZA and waiting for a HONDA CIVIC 2.2 EX) ... so i believe that could be a possible reason for the difference between real and the MPG computer information ...

Regards

PS: Sorry for the bad english :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi,
when the motor is running and the car is stopped, does the MPG computer indicates any value for the instant consume??? My actual car indicates 0 MPG (SEAT IBIZA and waiting for a HONDA CIVIC 2.2 EX) ... so i believe that could be a possible reason for the difference between real and the MPG computer information ...

Regards

PS: Sorry for the bad english :(
In this case my computer indicates an average consumption( in general it is increasing) but temporary fuel consumption shows zero on the display.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts