2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i would share my find. On friday i decided to change my gearbox oil with honda mtf3 it was overdue with 94000 miles on the clock. There's a great how to on here for this.
I also changed the engine oil while i had the car up on axle stands and the undertray off. Anyway went to see my mum who lives 50 miles away i do this trip often and normally average mid 50s on the mpg. All country roads rural Derbyshire great roads actually. Anyway today i averaged 65 mpg there and back. I'm thinking this has something to do with the gear oil change maybe or the engine oil. Anyone else had this ?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
No. It seems very unlikely to be a direct result of routinely changing gearbox and/or engine oil. I guess if you previously had the wrong viscosity engine oil then that might make a small difference, but 10 MPG is hard to explain.

Did you disconnect the battery during the work?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes disconnected the battery you have to remove the battery to fill up the gearbox oil.
As for the engine oil it was 5w30 that i took out and 5w30 i put in so same viscosity.
I will say this the gear oil i took out was quite dark compared to the new stuff.

·
Registered
361 Posts
could it be due to the warmer weather, also if you have changed the gearbox oil then any other impurities in the gearbox may have resulted in better mpg.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe a combination of all. warmer weather although the peak district ain't exactly Spain at this time of year. New oil etc
Either way more mpg means less cash spent.
Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
If your oil gearbox oil was absorbing so much of the engine's power, then it would have got incredibly hot.

I think disconnecting the battery has either caused the ECU and/or the trip computer to reset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts