2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.2 CDTI has been giving poor mpg recently getting only 35-6mpg during the winter.

But last week I did a 600 mile trip on mainly motorways in 2 days. I also started the trip fully laden with 11 media displays that I would be installing in shops all over the Midlands. The car got lighter after each stop.

On the trip I needed fuel and stopped at an esso garage but they didn't have normal diesel so I had to put in premium (company paying for fuel :)

Wouldn't normally use this, but it would appear that 1 tank and loads of motorway miles have improved my car :cool:

It is giving better mpg and is pulling much better, even though it is now back on standard fuel.

I've got another long trip next week, Guildford, bury St Edmunds, Norwich, Peterborough, Lincoln, Shefield & then back to Surrey. Starting with 8 media displays this time. Again, all being well, over 2 days. Be interesting to see what mpg it is now doing.

I think that I will treat my crv to premium diesel every now & again from now on.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
A good run will always 'clear the pipes'. I have noticed a marked improvement after a long run.

I also alternate between standard and posh fuel. I need to start measuring it, but I do anecdotally notice an improvement with posh (BP) diesel.

I'm not sure how to tell, but we may be getting the 'summer' diesel again now, which gives better mpg.

·
Registered
392 Posts
A good run will always 'clear the pipes'. I have noticed a marked improvement after a long run.

I also alternate between standard and posh fuel. I need to start measuring it, but I do anecdotally notice an improvement with posh (BP) diesel.

I'm not sure how to tell, but we may be getting the 'summer' diesel again now, which gives better mpg.
I don't believe they ship summer diesel until the end of this month.

I've just taken delivery of 3500 litres of DERV and it is certainly winter grade. I might use a cetane improving additive to every third or fourth car tankful to see how it goes.

Before you ask, it was £1.13/litre, which may turn out to be a good price or it may not. I was certainly lumbered with a very expensive load last time, back in October, and it was summer grade all winter. [shrug]

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Last tank did just under 41mpg (measured) most of which was commuting and included a good few frosty mornings. This was rising as it's started getting warmer over the last week or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts