2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting discussion point, possibly? ...

I understand that there are many with extended families, personnel transport responsibilities, or who rely on having 'a bit more space' for the transport of 'hobby parts' - outdoor lifestyle (bikes, R/C, etc), wooden sheeting, metalwork, etc - but I observe these 'annoyances' are generally one- two-up in 90+% of the time.

What annoys me?
  • When in queues, it's more difficult to anticipate changes in condition, movement, traffic lights etc - for example re-starting the stopped engine prior to moving off - as windows are too high to permit clear sight as would generally be possible with 'normal cars'.
  • When alongside one of these things, at junctions, having to effectively jump out of my seat to see across for clear 'line of sight' if possible to ensure it's safe to join a roundabout, enter a higher-priority road, etc.
Quite apart from the above, they will generally weigh more, have a higher centre of gravity, consume more that car-equivalents ...

Perhaps it's just me!!
Al.

·
i-Vtec
1,726 Posts
At least those with MPV's generally have them for a purpose, young families usually. My step daughter has one, but she has 4 rug rats all in varying car seats and booster seats. Its also not very often she has them all in the car together. Not many people have two cars if they are the only driver in a home, im sure Greta would be fuming if my step daughter had an MPV for one day of the week where she needs 6 seats and a "normal" car for the other 6 days. Higher set MPVs are also good for less mobile people to get in and out off. Ive had an elderly neighbor in my Civic and he really struggled to get out of it, being so low to the ground. In fact the old guy over the road just traded his Fiesta for a Crossland X , Im thinking for this reason too.
SUVs/4x4's are just as bad. I live in a large town in Central Scotland and there are two Notable 4x4's in my street, an X6 and a New Discovery. Both owners live and work in the town. Im sure there off road capabilities are fantastic, but in real terms dunting them up a kerb is as close to Off Road as both will get.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SUV / 4x4 - even worse - in a town situation - space is limited enough.
Greta for global President - then we'll all own carbon fibre yachts!!

As stated, totally agreed, there are perhaps 20% who 'justify' ownership of these excesses, but from what I observe - neighbours, general weekday and weekend (circumstances change significantly) the majority really don't need them.

Original point was simple - they're a PitB in queues.
Instead of permitting constructors to encourage sales, they should be discouraged without reasonable justification!

I know, I'm 'off on one again', and not wrong, but somewhere in there, there is some reason.

Al.

·
i-Vtec
1,726 Posts
Original point was simple - they're a PitB in queues.
Instead of permitting constructors to encourage sales, they should be discouraged without reasonable justification!
Sorry you just need to take a breath when behind one, no difference from being being a "Transit" van, Bus or HGV. Hold back a few metres so you can see past them. Its not really worth getting all worked up about it imo. Sales are driven by monthly payments unfortunately and in fact I just read a bit in auto express that PCP may become a whole lot more expensive to make people think about what they are buying. Average MPG has not risen that much over the last 15 years even though CO2 levels have supposedly reduced. The tradition Saloon car is nearly dead because of crossover SUV's, and this is mostly because they are £20 a month more on PCP.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed.
Just don't see the point unless they're necessary.
It is a personal choice, and as you say 'white van man' is everywhere.
It just seems to be a manufacturers' trend to throw MPV's at people as 'they're selling' ... just look wrong!
Never mind.

As you say 'just get used to it' .... at least we're not all polluting everywhere plugging our cars in overnight!! ....

Al.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts