2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I bit the bullet and purchase a set of winter wheels, as will be driving in Europe over the winter months.

I decided to buy steel wheels with winter tyres fitted (Avon Ice Touring ST) from: -
16" Honda Civic Steel Winter Wheels and Winter Tyres 1.4i, 1.8i, 2.2 CDTi

The delivery was spot on, arriving the next day, with card protecting the wheels wrapped with plastic banding. The tyres were fitted and wheels balanced ready for fitting to the car.

Upon opening them, I found that they were silver on the outer face and black inside.

I fitted them to my car last weekend, and after driving on them for a couple of days am pleased with them. Drove home on the motorway this evening and balancing seems spot on at motorway speeds and only slightly more noisy than my summer tyres. Obviously they are more spongy than summer tyres, but feel good on the road.

I will post photos of the wheels fitted once I have chance. They look a bit strange compared to my alloys, but the silver matches my car.

I would highly recommend Mr Winter Wheels. The product they supplied has been to the highest standard. I will let you know how I get on with the winter tyres when I have had more experience on them.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I also run 16"steel wheels with snow tyres in winter but please note you can fit these to ctr as long as you have at least 5mm spacers to clear the bigger calliper on the type r or your brake pads are worn down more than half way (not ideal)
make such a difference in bad conditions like snow compared to 225/40/18 summer tyres
can defo recommend swapping to winter tyres alright they don't look good but better these getting covered in salt and dirt than you good alloy wheels

·
Fuel Save Mode..
2,613 Posts
I still havent bolted my Type S alloys and Winters on yet :(

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,

Yesterday I swapped my wheels back to standard, so I thought I should write a review of my experiences with the winter wheels/tyres fitted. Please bear in mind that this is my first experience with winter tyres, so can’t really compare to others on the market.

All in all I have to say they have done what they needed to do with no real dramas. Over the last 5 months (5k miles ish) the wheels have covered all the weather types, most importantly (the reason I purchased them in the first place) Christmas and New Year driving too, from and within the snow covered Polish mountains.

Dry ~ Good, if a little spongy above about 12⁰C (to be expected)
Frosty ~ Good
Damp ~ OK, but a felt a bit vague on roundabouts.
Wet ~ Very good, even in very heavy rain felt really solid and grippy (4-5⁰C)
Snow/Ice ~ really impressed, car was surefooted around the steep mountain roads, stopping and moving away without any dramas.

The tyre wear has been very little from what I can see, so should last for the next few winters without problems.

I am a little disappointed in the steel wheels though after only one winter they are showing spots of rust. I guess because they are silver it is more obvious than on black version. It’s not a big issue, but thought I would mention it.

In conclusion I would recommend them to anyone who is thinking about getting winter wheels next year.

Cheers, Mike

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Old thread I know, but on my old Skoda Fabia vRS I used mytyres with some Nokian tyres. They made such a huge difference, before I got them I got stuck on a slight incline (summer tyres!). Once I got them I managed to drive through a car park with about 5 inches of fresh snow, along a road with sheet ice etc.

I will be buying some for my Civic and recommend them to anyone thinking about getting some.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Old thread I know, but on my old Skoda Fabia vRS I used mytyres with some Nokian tyres. They made such a huge difference, before I got them I got stuck on a slight incline (summer tyres!). Once I got them I managed to drive through a car park with about 5 inches of fresh snow, along a road with sheet ice etc.

I will be buying some for my Civic and recommend them to anyone thinking about getting some.
This is my third winter running Nokian WR A3 on mine (same set too) and have made it through plenty of bad weather. At this rate I doubt we'll need them on this winter with it being so mild, but that can change quite quickly.

Reactions: wrightski
1 - 8 of 8 Posts