2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2007 FN2 Type R a few months ago. It’s my daily drive stroke occasional weekend and track toy, so I thought I’d keep you all updated with progress.

There’s going to be plenty of pics and videos, so stay tuned!

Work completed so far
First and foremost, the car is the GT model, and came with the addition of 15mm Eibach spacers when I purchased it. Soon into my ownership, I found that the two rear shocks were shot away and leaking, so took the decision to renew all four dampers with standard Sachs items, as well as fit Eibach Pro progressive springs to give it a little more road compliance.

I had this complemented with a fast road set up, with around 1.2 degrees of negative camber on the front end, and around 1 on the rear. Combined with a major service including valve clearances, the bill was slightly eye watering with almost zero change from £1100.

On the braking side, I have fitted Brembo discs (OE replacements) and Ferodo DS2500 pads on the front, with Pagid discs and pads on the rear. The system is also filled with Motul RBF 600 high temperature brake fluid. Cosmetically, I have painted the brake calipers silver, which are now gold after getting a little toasty at a Donington Park track day :)

Here's a video from Donington Park. It includes chasing another FN2 Type R (standard except AD08R tyres), a Porsche 991 C2S, and a Fiesta ST Mountune. It's worth going through to YouTube to watch this so that you can view it on a full screen.

Craner Curves

Being a 2007 model, my car appears to have a couple of common issues – the subframe click, and squeaky clutch pedal. As far as I can see, the official Honda fix for the subframe click is very much a temporary measure, so I’m just going to live with it for now. The squeaky clutch pedal I have already tried to remedy with some grease while adjusting the biting point, to no avail. They are slight annoyances but I’m growing used to them as time goes on.

Future plans include an aftermarket drivers seat offering some proper support (ordered and on the way of course), an LSD, and KW V3 coilovers if funds allow. I’ll also be making some front brake ducts for it in the near future, which will hopefully decrease the brake fade it gets on track. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres have already been ordered, and will be fitted at the cars next service.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I've got the squeaky clutch pedal aswel! Drives me mad! Managed to stop it for a while using grease in a can! Just started again yesterday.. Car looks clean tho! Look forward to seeing the updates :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
My squeaky clutch comes and goes, seems to hear it more in colder weather/early mornings.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
My 07 Plate had a click, 06 plate doesn't...

I wanted to take my 1.8 to track days, but I'd feel inferior :(

I wouldn't feel inferior, even a standard Type R is slow in comparison to what take to the track.

I met a bloke at snetterton who was taking his Mini Cooper diesel for a track evening. On budget tyres!

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Car looks good, will be following your progress with this. What seats are you going for?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got the squeaky clutch pedal aswel! Drives me mad! Managed to stop it for a while using grease in a can! Just started again yesterday.. Car looks clean tho! Look forward to seeing the updates :)
My squeaky clutch comes and goes, seems to hear it more in colder weather/early mornings.
Mine comes and goes as well - sometimes it's awful, but most of the time it's not there. Usually hot weather that does mine!

My 07 Plate had a click, 06 plate doesn't...

I wanted to take my 1.8 to track days, but I'd feel inferior :(
A 1.8 Civ wouldn't look out of place on a track day - I've seen all sorts on track over the years!

Car looks good, will be following your progress with this. What seats are you going for?
I've gone for these seats, I've now got them through at home just need to get them fitted - tempted to do seat, geo and LSD all in one go in a couple of months time. Will hopefully feel like a different car afterwards :D

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I've gone for these seats, I've now got them through at home just need to get them fitted - tempted to do seat, geo and LSD all in one go in a couple of months time. Will hopefully feel like a different car afterwards :D
They look good, I've just fitted a corbeau pro series seat into mine and it makes a huge difference to the driving position. I would love to fit an LSD into mine but think I'll be getting it mapped first. I've just booked my first outing in the FN2 at donny :D

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They look good, I've just fitted a corbeau pro series seat into mine and it makes a huge difference to the driving position. I would love to fit an LSD into mine but think I'll be getting it mapped first. I've just booked my first outing in the FN2 at donny :D
Awesome - although the standard seats in the FN2 look very nice indeed, I think they're definitely one of the biggest weak points of the car in terms of driving position and lateral support. Can't wait to get mine in.

I'm tempted to do some power mods as well, there's just so much you can do to these! Hit me up when you decide to get an LSD, if you're looking for a Quaife I'll be able to do you a very good deal ;)

·
Aye Aye....
7,101 Posts
Nice start mate! looking forward to tracking your progress :thumbsup:

May give you a shout for some track gear when race season starts again! ;)

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,142 Posts
LSD should be your first mod, not mapping. They make a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice start mate! looking forward to tracking your progress :thumbsup:

May give you a shout for some track gear when race season starts again! ;)
Cheers, just had a look through your mods thread - looks like a pretty serious build! I look forward to hearing from you ;)

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As a bit of fun, here are some 'moments' from a Silverstone track day this summer in the 996 GT3...

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
nice project

agree on seating position as too high although for seats best type r seats i've sat in including dc5 and dc2 recaros.

are you removing disc shield when fitting brake ducts ?

you managed to find any of the shelf ducts that are fit and forget ?

lsd is a must and lightened flywheel is nice for track

think I might get some 17" wheels for track as well and might even use everyday once ive got through new tyres just fitted to my lighter than oem 18's

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nice project

agree on seating position as too high although for seats best type r seats i've sat in including dc5 and dc2 recaros.

are you removing disc shield when fitting brake ducts ?

you managed to find any of the shelf ducts that are fit and forget ?

lsd is a must and lightened flywheel is nice for track

think I might get some 17" wheels for track as well and might even use everyday once ive got through new tyres just fitted to my lighter than oem 18's
I think the dust covers will have to be removed, or at least partly cut away. Haven't found any off the shelf items! I've seen a couple of set ups where the fog lamps are removed, and hoses routed through towards the disc.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Mugen splitter is nice and functional as has ducts for brake cooling and can then use fog holes for intake and box cooling

Keep us updated on route you take

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Mugen splitter is nice and functional as has ducts for brake cooling and can then use fog holes for intake and box cooling

Keep us updated on route you take

Plus the aero of the extended splitter!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got a snap of my new seat today, this thing is going to look amazing when it's in the car :) The hip support is simply immense compared to the standard seats.

If anyone fancies one of these for their own car, remember it's something that we supply! Follow the link in my sig and take a look.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts