2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My 07 1800 sport is due brake pads and discs all round. The mtec or mintex that are sold on ebay, are they any good? Anyone have any comments on them?

Item number: 180681129502
Item number: 290618982646

The price seems to good to be true.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I've looked at the mtec before and won't be touching them with a bargepole. The drilled discs have ben known to crack.
As a direct replacement I reckon they'll be ok, but if you're changing the discs you may aswell upgrade to EBC's.

Reactions: 1800sport

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not looking to upgrade. Just want to replace for something similar. The missus drives the car. She doesnt cane the car. As long as the brakes performs like the standard stuff and doesn't fade and squeal i'm happy.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I have fitted the mtec grooved ones all round to my 2.2 and have no problems as yet over a few thousand miles but the standard mintex pads are not good at high temps. I have ebc yellowstuff pads which work a treat.

I agree about the drilled discs - they can fatigue with many heat cycles.

Mtec grooved discs and yellowstuff pads front and rear = £225 delivered if my memory serves me. Excellent value.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Hello all,

My 07 1800 sport is due brake pads and discs all round. The mtec or mintex that are sold on ebay, are they any good? Anyone have any comments on them?

Item number: 180681129502
Item number: 290618982646

The price seems to good to be true.

Thank you
I have mintexs mate all round there good and never had any problem and mintex pads.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
They should be fit for purpose then. I've got OEM discs and Mintex pads at the moment and i'm not impressed really, but thts being picky and wanting sharp brakes.

Reactions: leeb

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
I'm using the drilled & grooved Mtec discs & Mintex pads
Pads aren't GREAT, but better then OEM!

The Mintex Redbox are meant to be better still

The drilled disks will be fine, unless you're name is Lewis Hamilton I doubt you're going to get them to crack before they need changing on a road car...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mtec :(

Hi there,

Forget about MTEC, they are the worst piece of equipment for your car. I bought a complete set of discs about a year ago and after two (!) weeks the discs started to get rust on it, after one month they started to make a horrible ear-splitting noise every time I would pull the brake and it hasn't stopped since then. In fact, I can hear a strange noise every time I turn the steering wheel, as if they were not flat and would basically touch the brake pad, which they do I guess...

In brief, some people may have had a good experience with this make of discs, mine is really bad and I would strongly suggest you to stay away from it!

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Have MTEC Drilled & Grooved/Mintex on my Speed Barge. Much better then OEM.

The thing you need to remember is the operating window they are working in.
Cooling is king, and that's down to wheels and extra ventilation.

They are spot on for my car, not had any brake fade, and I'm braking from high speed all the time! :worms:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I fitted grooved MTEC discs all round to my CRV with OE pads, I didn't go for the mintex pads as in the past i've found them to squeal.
With the CRV having no upgraded pads available I tried some softer aftermarket pads which stopped ok but left the wheels plastered with brake dust. So I went for OE pads and a fluid change. The brakes are firm and sharp from cold which i feel is more important than a higher performance pad that doesn't work until its warmed up.

No issues at all with fitting the discs or the discs themselves.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
got mtec drilled & grooved on the fronts with ebc yellowstuff and not a problem so far. Much better stopping power imo.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
If you're after a set, drop me a PM as I can supply MTEC discs and EBC pads. Usually works out cheaper than going direct.

I've been selling them for the past 4 years with only 1 set returned (they were properly abused and were still blue when they arrived back with me!)

I run them on my 4 race cars and have no issues either.

Drilled discs regardless of manufacturer will eventually crack from the holes unless they're cast with the holes in rather than drilled afterwards. I've had EBC, Black Diamond, Tarox , Hispec and AP Racing 2 piece drilled discs and they've all cracked.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.