2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work there are some speed bumps ( the rubber ones that stretch across the road). I drive over them at a snails pace, but when the front wheels go over them there is a loud noise like a metal bar breaking. Now i thought i had a faulty shock absorber. So i took it to the dealer and we took it for a test drive to see if it would make the noise for them. Typically it would not.So i booked it in for them to have overnight to see it would do it from cold. When i got to work today it made the same noise, so i thought a closer inspection was needed. I found out what was wrong, as the trim around the mud flap was out of alignment. It was the mud flap catching on the speed bump on the way down. Anyway i stopped of at the dealer on the way home to tell them what i had found, and unless the shock absorber is faulty, i will be looking at about £200 for replacing the trim around the wheel arch and along the side of the car, as the mouldings for the clips are broken.
So it looks as if the front mud flaps may have to go, as i don't want to park my car on the road where approx 100 lorrys have to squeeze past every day. :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I've been over lots of speed bumps in the road and have never had that problem. Have you stopped just before contact to see how much is catching? Do they catch in both directions?

I've just checked mine and the rear clearance is 185mm. The front is only 95mm*.

* and that was with an empty car!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I have not but i might tomorrow. Thanks for the measurement. I'll just go and check.

Just measured the front and it's just about 10cm.
I know the bumps at work are steeper than your average ones. But it surely should not do that.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Mine are the same as Alan's (I've just checked mine and the rear clearance is 185mm. The front is only 95mm*. ) and I have never had them hit anything even though I go over speed bumps every day. I did once have the front 'air dam' (Rubber strip under the front 'bumper' one at either side) hit a rubber speed bump that was itself deformed and I think not in accordance with regulations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had the same probem with mine. Caught the front o/s mudflap on a nasty plastic speed bump. Luckily just pinged out a couple of the plastic pegs holding the inside of the wheelarch on, then ran over them! Cost £2.17 to fix, so not too bad. Won't be buing petrol at that garage again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now driving over them at an angle one wheel at a time. Car goes in tomorrow. Might mention about the rear dampers and the petrol cap.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What a crazy situation :confused: They are supposed to protect the car which is why I have ordered them for mine. I'll have to assess them when it turns up!

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,811 Posts
I've been over some quite severe humps and bumps and so far I haven't scraped them.

Those must be extra severe for them to catch.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Kemmen,

If you are in West London, try the ones in Uxbridge College car park. Hit mine even when car stationary! The problem is that there is no flexibility or 'give' in the mudflap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts