2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't had time to fully tune the new intake as there was a load more going on at the time so was a quick fit, do a power run with old calibration, block the scoop and do another run. There is a flatspot at vtec changeover that needs to be tuned out but you get the idea.

Bearing in mind the car had done a good 15K miles since the last tune, is now badly in need of a good service including clerances and new plugs its looking pretty good.

First plot shows a back to back with the GM intake. They are reading pretty much identical. There is an offset as I used previous settings but have changed tires so the calibrated speeds are a fraction out giving the offset so don't immediatly think that one is better than the other.;)

(The GM is the solid line)

View attachment GrupeN vs Mugen.pdf

This is the Mugen intake with and without the scoop.
Direct cold air feed ftw!:cool:

View attachment Mugen intake with and without garnish scoop.pdf

Conclusion:

GM is a great option. Fits well and does what it's supposed to do.
Mugen is like OEM but much more improved airfeed. On a healthy engine and once tuned I am 100% confident I will make better gains than I did with the GM.

Ideal test will be on a more standard car which I will have to test one on next week the OEM vs Mugen but without the scoop kit.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Nice improvement.
Many thanks for this comparision

P. S You were faster fat :p 1 min....

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
lol thats the only thing im fast at lol..

what filter does the mugen one use? is it just their own mugen panel filter?

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It uses the K&N

They make awesome filters....just crap kits!:)

Would have liked to spend more time tuning it and doing evaluations just time is really against me at the moment as we are so busy.:(

Gives good indication though which is the main thing.:cool:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I suppose it's something similar to these one high flow

P. S And how much faster TDI you was ? :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Indeed, bad luck today;)

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Good results...

Was a litle "scared" but, i see that GruppeM is still a great choice!!:)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Hi Paul,

The standard car with Mugen intake is that my CTR if it is feel free to put the garnish scoop on it ;).
What is the cost of the garnish scoop on the car anyway. And guessing you need to remove fog lights or is there another way around it. I would like the scoop but want to keep fog lights think the car would look odd with one fog light and one scoop or would it :confused: what do you think.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi Paul,

The standard car with Mugen intake is that my CTR if it is feel free to put the garnish scoop on it ;).
What is the cost of the garnish scoop on the car anyway. And guessing you need to remove fog lights or is there another way around it. I would like the scoop but want to keep fog lights think the car would look odd with one fog light and one scoop or would it :confused: what do you think.
+1: I'm really interested in hearing about available options here. Like murray, I'm interested in keeping the foglight(s) while still taking advantage of cool fresh air...

·
Aye Aye....
7,101 Posts
Looks like a very good result given that it's not been tuned, is the mugen intake not actually cheaper than the GM the now as well? Gives a very strong rival to the GM that dare I say wasn't evident on the Market before

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
spoon is also using this type of scoop (that pipe runs from the front of the car to the airbox):

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
but what do people think of having one fog light and the other as the garnish for the forced induction?

·
Aye Aye....
7,101 Posts
For me personally that would just look ridiculous but if you get the mugen bumper you could still have both fog lights and the scoop....I think

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
For me personally that would just look ridiculous but if you get the mugen bumper you could still have both fog lights and the scoop....I think
yeah i think you can but havnt long put on the front splitter which looks :cool:
Just saw the graph with and without the garnish and there is a big difference.

·
Aye Aye....
7,101 Posts
Ah right yeh the splitter does look great! Bit of a dilema mate lol I think it's 2 without scoop or scoop with no fogs, no fogs it is then :) lol

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
yeah im thinking without fogs now. the scoops would be better. my car is booked in for a week friday to get fitted so will speak to paul and see if he can get the scoops in stock quick enough :)
i guess the wires will still be in the car so possibly could get a bodyshop to make up some kind of thing in the bumper :confused::worms: but want the scoop now

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The garnish replaces the foglights and there is a dummy one for the other side. M20's either have the foglights or they dont and have the garnish kits. M20 prototype had just the intakes no foglights.

Think maybe you could run a duct upto it but it wouldnt be as direct feed.
Also just think how often you actually switch your foglights on (Other than cruising about with them on which is actually illegal)

Basically do you need them?:worms:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts