2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Mugen intake on my charged FN2.

Pretty pleased with it but cant help admiring the design of the CPL CAI.

Anyone had both and have any opinions on what is better?

Wonder if I'd see gains or losses from going to the CPL CAI.

My fueling is done by MAP, so not really concerned with what each kit does in terms of upsetting the MAF sensor.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
From reading the US forums Ash, bigger is better.

I'm persuing a 3.5inch intake for this reason in a CPL style of course
Yeah I get that impression also. I think Guy will make up bigger kits if requested. I think he did one for BRM but im not 100% on that.

When I had my JRSC fitted Guy mentioned he thought my IATs could be lower and would be if i had the CPL CAI.

Dont get me wrong the Mugen is great but the design of the CPL one just makes so much more sense.

I thought you had a tegiwa intake?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
I do Ash, I think its great for IATs but maybe not so much for flow/MAP.

Im looking to increase my MAP value and also add a 3 inch cat back and TB size in the near future.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've just knocked up my own 3.5" SRI for a grand total of £60 (most of that was the 3.5" velocity stack)

Sat side by side with a 3" injen CAI:

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
Is it not true that regardless of how much air the intake can bring in, your still limited to the volume of air which can pass thru the TB and also be taken in by the cams? Therefore with the Mugen intake installed, are you likely to be able to get anymore air in? And if so would the cams be able to utilise that air?

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
I had closed box set up & on mine it was choking itself out at 340 I got a custom one at Tdi & it went to over 370 ;) but mine is charged so it helps me I had already sold my cpl cai to leepie so I have now got hold of an injen cai which is 76mm pipe all the way through but if I can get a bigger one all the better for it to suck more cold air :) might just take it to aas which does custom work who done the exhaust & get them to do one for me so I can then get it fitted when the bottom end is forged & then get it all mapped together again ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ;)

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers for all the posts and info on custom kits guys.

I'd only consider a CPL intake to be honest as CPL have done all the R&D on it so I trust their decisions in chosing that diameter pipe. I know Keith (merseahhh) has a CPL CAI and it works very well on his FN2.

For me its either stay with what I have or swap to the CPL CAI. I sent a PM to CPL Racing this morning and they havent done a proper back to back comparision yet between the two kits so they do not have an answer.

I suppose a comparision between CPL CAI and Tegiwa will also show me the information I'm after, anyone?

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Ash you have a supercharger don't you ? Defo go for the cpl over tegiwa wish I never sold mine now :( so if you want tried & tested go for it or injen for the charger :) better source of cold air IMHO ;)

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Ash you have a supercharger don't you ? Defo go for the cpl over tegiwa wish I never sold mine now :( so if you want tried & tested go for it or injen for the charger :) better source of cold air IMHO ;)

Your making me feel bad now :(

On a side issue if your MAP tuned do you need another cal if you change filters?

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts

On a side issue if your MAP tuned do you need another cal if you change filters?
Hahaha yeah gutted now but you live & learn got injen cai now & we don't even need the maf sensor really ? So it shouldn't need another cal you could just block the maf sensor off ;) going to ring tp tomorrow to double check :)

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Why did you sell the CPL? Yeah I have a charger.

I'm changing a few bits so would have needed to change my cal anyway.

I've had more Cal's than hot dinners lol.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
IMO an intake like the CPL etc helps maximise MAP.

My Tegi drops mine quite a lot
Stoney you can't see the map pressure onlye in 3 or 4 gear for example. I can tell you that my tegiwa intake and scoop at 250km/h (or less),and i have done this several times in private track, have much more map pressure than a cai. OnE day i had 970 map pressure in 3 gear and looked a datalog at the same rpm but at high speed and i was at 1000 map. The cai is better at lower gears but a good closed intake with a good scoop is better, in my opinion, at high speed.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts