2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear suspension rattles have been driving me mad so decided to persevere with finding the issue and sorting it out...........

I was under the car and found the heat shield around the back box had broken on the bolted mounts each side. Using a bent bracket wider than the hole in the heat shield, and bolted into place it holds it firmly in place - attempt 1 done.......... took it for a drive, still rattling.

Back up on the stands, found a broken bracket on the exhaust. It had rusted through at the weld onto the pipe itself and the exhaust was knocking against the detached bracket. Local garage welded it back onto the pipe - attempt 2 done.......... took it for a drive, still rattling.

Back up on my ramps and everything under that car seems fine. Tightened the top bolts on the dampers in the boot. Used the inner sides to give the car a good shake and could hear the rattle once again. Deffo somewhere in the rear wheel area or under the wheel arch. Couldn't find anything still. Was still proper noisy on my shake test and then the penny dropped....................... removed the cover and found the issue.... it was only the bloody jack rattling in its cubby hole!!!!!

Jeeeeeez!!!!!!!

Mupppet moment.

Issue solved - no more rattles and knocks.:grin2:

·
4,372 Posts
And no more exhaust pipe/heatshield flapping about.
Note to self. Take that rattly socket set out of the boot before you go out in the morning.

·
i-Vtec
2,806 Posts
Colleague of mine once took her car to the dealers complaining of a rattle. On collecting it they handed her a can of de icer that had been rolling around under the front seat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts