2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my 2007 Honda Civic Type S (auto) rear axle has cracked.
I live in England and I need to get a new rear axle for the car. Some people call it a rear cross member.
Does anyone know if the Type S takes the standard rear axle for most honda civics of that age,
or is a special rear axle needed because it is a Type S please and the usual one wont fit?
It is not a Type R, just a Type S, but does that mean it needs a special one rather than a standard rear axle?
Thank you very much for your help!

·
Registered
Honda Civic Type S GT 2.2cdti
73 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the rear axle is the same on standard and type S. The type s has additional extras like the colour coded trim, fog lights, sunroof

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, funnily enough my Type S has no fog lights or sunroof. It has just has three doors so looks a little sportier than the 5 door cars. Im worried because it looks more like the Type R than say the SE or 5 door ones that it might need a different rear axle to the standard 5 door car.
Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ahhh its the Type S GT with the fog lights and panoramic roof.

So a few Google searches say the type S has a 20mm wider rear track than the standard 5 door. I'll see if I can identify any differences in part numbers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for that link! I did some research tonight, on honda parts uk website. For 2007 models, the type S uses thecsame rear axle as the 5 door car, its only the type R that has its own special one. And i also validated that by going to europarts with sone registrations for 5 door, type S and type R, and again only the type R has its own special rear axle. That's quite a relief! And its exactly that part number i need from your last link thank you and its within budget thanks! Ill be getting new shockers and coils because they are rusted very badly also. I never use the hose to wash under the car, so maybe it collected a lot of salt over winter and eaten it up, on top of being old! Thanks so much all!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any time buddy here to help. Yes definitely replace the rear shock absorbers while everything is apart. That should help with the ride quality too.

If you do purchase from the eBay link then make sure to send them your Registration in the notes.

It must be just the type R with different rear axle as it'll be a bit of a headache for Honda to make 3 different rear axles for the same civic.
Let me know how you get on with the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will do, least i can do after all the help thank you. Thankfully my insurance will cover a recovery truck because i paid for the best breakdown cover that they provide. I daren't drive it anywhere with a crack in the axle as the wheel could come right off.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Not sure if I'd be motivated enough to replace a rear axle/beam.

Although might not have a choice if it's only the beam that's wrong with the car...

Then again it isn't hugely difficult, the need to swap the bits like hub, brakes, sensors etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
No problem @echo . Yep best not to drive with a cracked axle.
I replaced my rear axle bushes with power flex bushes as mine were worn but cant really tell a massive difference so I wouldnt bother with uprated bushes unless you want to race in the car

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to update in case anyone curious about progress. Called the RAC out for a flatbed truck to take it to a great mechanic who will help me replace the axle. I wasn't covered on insurance, it came to £105 for about 13 miles. Just really glad it is in good hands. As i say, the axle had cracked at the arm, so the wheel could have fallen off any minute. The rear wheel was at an angle and with much less gap between wheel and wheel arch than other side I'm also getting new rear shockers and coil springs as they are also corroded too. It might be a few weeks before it can be completed though due to holidays and only weekend work, but as i say, big weight off my mind it is in good hands! I wonder how common this is with 2007 honda civics. One of the bad things I did maintenance wise over the years is that i never hosed the car underneath when cleaning it (i dont have a driveway or a hose) but will do in the future when at petrol stations, especially over winter when lots salt on the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure if I'd be motivated enough to replace a rear axle/beam.

Although might not have a choice if it's only the beam that's wrong with the car...

Then again it isn't hugely difficult, the need to swap the bits like hub, brakes, sensors etc.
A year and a half ago during the Covid spell i needed to replace the radiator and got the A/C fixed with a new condensor and rear brakes. But then sadly a caliper seized so I had to get the rear brakes done all over again and a new caliper. Its in pretty good condition but for the corrosion, but i do appreciate the car is older now. It is low mileage, about 65k, but its the rust that gets cars.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
the owner of Dynodaze has an FN2, his is 58 reg and his rear axle cracked. The whole underside of the civic has been badly protected. I went with a family member to view a car they were buying, a 54 plate Nissan Micra and it has almost zero rust underneath. It all depends where the car has lived most of its life, on how bad they are

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the owner of Dynodaze has an FN2, his is 58 reg and his rear axle cracked. The whole underside of the civic has been badly protected. I went with a family member to view a car they were buying, a 54 plate Nissan Micra and it has almost zero rust underneath. It all depends where the car has lived most of its life, on how bad they are
Thanks very much for the youtube video, it was great to see the bit where he shows the heavy corrosion on the axle. And thats the fanciest Honda you can get I expect! Relieved mine is getting changed over!

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
Where did he get that new beam from?
Looks like a proper FN2 one as the central rod is nice and thick

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I would avoid cars that are shown to have lived in Scotland or by the sea maybe.

My Civic looks fine underneath and I think has lived SE England most of its life although it was registered in SW England.

I keep meaning to paint the beam and inner wheel arches but I lack a bit of enthusiasm for it currently.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts