2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the car, a 2008 2.2i-CDTi since new and it has just turned over 130,000 miles, it will be traded in shortly and I will probably miss the familiarity of the car.

In the late seventies I worked in Aberdeen two weeks on, 1 week off and travelled the length of the country in a Mk1 3000E Capri reaching journeys end fairly shattered and burning fuel at 15-20mpg along the way.

Recently I have been driving to Aberdeen from home in the Civic, a journey of some 400 miles averaging 70mph and 48mpg. I usually arrived fresh and ready to do at least half a days work before finding the hotel. The Civic is a good car for long distance travel and in my opinion the diesel is the best for lazy high speed cruising in the 70 - 90mph range.

I drove to Kent on one occasion when the M6 and M1 were in their normal state of multiple mile road works and speed limits. Not being in any hurry I decided to maintain a steady 50-60mph for the whole return journey, the average fuel consumption was 60.5mpg which I confirmed on topping off the tank later.

My daily commute is 20 miles each way along the A51 where the hazards tend to be farmers and their pets. The Civic diesel can easily be walloped into action for fast overtakes in short sections of road.

So 130,000 miles of usually happy motoring, discounting the state of the roads and the volume of the traffic encountered. The Civic has to be one of my favourite cars.

So I am trading it in and getting another, a petrol this time and second hand, low mileage 2013 Ti. Not quite so torquey and a bit more work but I expect it will see me to retirement in a couple of years time.

andy.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Good to hear you were happy with it. I recent got myself a 2.2 as a motor way commuter. 150miles a day in total, 140miles on the motor way. I agree it is comfortable and it's nice to have the torque when you needed it. I hope mine can make it to 200k without big expense with regular oil changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope mine can make it to 200k without big expense with regular oil changes.
Should be no reason not too. The main reason I traded mine in was to maintain the company car allowance and the age was against it.

I had no major bills, two advisories on the last MOT were for lower suspension bushes, one each side, which I had replaced for about £350.

The engine was still tight and the car mechanically sound. The upholstery on the drivers side was getting slightly worn but OK for the age.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,396 Posts
Should be no reason not too. The main reason I traded mine in was to maintain the company car allowance and the age was against it.

I had no major bills, two advisories on the last MOT were for lower suspension bushes, one each side, which I had replaced for about £350.

The engine was still tight and the car mechanically sound. The upholstery on the drivers side was getting slightly worn but OK for the age.
I got mine in Oct 2013 with 53k on the clock, have now covered 85k due to my 60mile per day commute... 32k trouble free miles and still going strong apart from a slight slip of the clutch in top gear if I forget to drop a cog before overtaking... Hopefully the clutch will last a few thousand more mile before I have to change it. One thing, had rear discs and pads changed on the last MOT as they were in a shoite state in January and there are signs that they are going a little ropey again???? anyone else had this? I know it was only 30k since the rear discs were changed last....

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
I am onto my 5th honda now and I have had about 230,000 miles of trouble free motoring since 2006 (touch wood).

I was going to go for an Audi or BMW but I though why tempt fate when Honda has been so reliable.

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
I got mine in Oct 2013 with 53k on the clock, have now covered 85k due to my 60mile per day commute... 32k trouble free miles and still going strong apart from a slight slip of the clutch in top gear if I forget to drop a cog before overtaking... Hopefully the clutch will last a few thousand more mile before I have to change it. One thing, had rear discs and pads changed on the last MOT as they were in a shoite state in January and there are signs that they are going a little ropey again???? anyone else had this? I know it was only 30k since the rear discs were changed last....
If they were changed by Honda, they should be covered by a 2 year warranty. I bought my civic new, and noticed the rear discs were scoring after 12 months/10000 miles. The next year I asked Honda what they thought and they replaced the rear discs and pads under warranty.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts