2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1313 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

This is my FN2 CTR GT. Wife's black FK2 EX behind it! :cool:

I bought it on 6th Jan this year and traded in my EP3 '04 Cosmic CTR with cash for it.

I had some good mods on the EP3 and hope to get along the same lines, maybe a bit further on the FN2.

So far only cosmetic tweeks as follows.

Exterior

Rear and rear quarter window tints
TRO forum graphics
Eat, Sleep, Honda Decal (not yet fitted)
Type R grill badge (EP3 Style, harking back to what I passed on!)
Honda '10 Rear Parking Sensors

Interior

Standard

Engine

K&N replacement panel filter
Spoon Oil Cap
Spoon reservoir socks
LeeH earthing kit in blue (currently in development, getting cable lengths right etc)

I plan more performance mods in the future and will update as I go along. :D[smilie=thumbup.gif]

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First picture with the Spoon Socks fitted, shows the engine bay well I think. I'd fitted the K&N Panel Filter at this point as well, but you can't really see that, only the sticker!

Close up of the socks, I've got this as the background on my work PC! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New to this forum, mostly on TRO, so please excuse that I've got their forum URL on the car...

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next was the JDM key backs, ordered directly from Japan.

Cost me £17 per key, bought 2 on purpose :oops:. Well at least my wife can tell the difference from my key to her FK2!

Great addition and I have no idea why we don't get these as standard from Honda UK... [smilie=smack.gif]

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next was the Spoon Oil Cap. Very expensive for what it is, but I was selling the mods off my EP3 and the cash was burning a hole! :p

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Next I paid Gordons Honda in Wigan a visit (noticed they are in the Traders Section, nice one! :D[smilie=thumbup.gif]) for some rear parking sensor action. A must on the new Civic in my opinion. The wife's EX came with them on and they are great.

Now so does mine! (Wife's EX in the background again... I'll start another thread for that when it gets cleaned!!)

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The previous picture threw up a few comments on the TRO about the rear indicator bulbs. On the front the bulbs are clear, as I'm sure they are across the 2006+ range, but the rear ones are orange! :confused:

Sorted that out...

Philips SilverVision WY21W bulbs.

Have to take the black cover off next to the cluster and undo two bolts to get the lot out.

Then you can get to the bulbs, here is a comparision of the bulbs themselves.

Left old, right new... reflection of the red-brick house doesn't help but there you go!

Still light up nice and orange.

Replaced my pollen filter the same day while I was at it, really needed doing and my car has only done 16k!!!

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was feeling like the car itself needed some loving care so bought the following on high recommendation.

Still not used any of it though!! Maybe in the morning! :D

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Still a work in progress as such so this particular post may get edited at some point.

Kit made by LeeH who I know from the TRO and CTRO. He makes very high quality earthing kits for the EP3/DC5 variants of Type Rs.

Earthing kits work by better grounding the negative electrical components on the car to reduce voltage fluctuations and avoid damage. An example can be seen when you turn the rear window/mirror heaters on or wind the windows down etc and you can see the lights dim ever so slightly. If it does that to the lights imagine what is happening to the spark on the plugs...

An earthing kit can basically stop this happening.

Basic kit fitted, but the finished article will be neater!

Since taking the above pic I have neatened up the cables to the -ve battery terminal.

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
looks like its getting along really nicely there mate. Look forward to more updates!

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those EX owners out there, the wife's FK2 EX 1.8i after a wash last week.

She's not modded it in any way, but is quite interested in the Gers brake light sticker and wants to see what that looks like when I get round to putting it on my Type R!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Can I ask how much you paid for the reverse sensor kit from Honda Wiga? I'm in Wigan and am interested in this mod!?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can I ask how much you paid for the reverse sensor kit from Honda Wiga? I'm in Wigan and am interested in this mod!?

Cheers
No worries! I paid £250 including VAT, colour coding and fitting in January this year.

The garage is in the traders section, ask them for a quote, I only signed up here after having them fitted.

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A nice pair of civics :cool:

How do the CTR and the 1.8 compare at low revs before the VTEC kicks in ?
First of all they are two very different engines.

The CTR gets a big lump of torque from about 2k and then goes mental over 6k. Most of the time in normal driving you will be around in the 2-6k rev range on so, as you will know, the car feels eager to pull away which means you can make good progress changing up at 4k and letting the torque build the speed.

The 1.8 is more progressive. You don't get the same urgency when you put your foot down below 5.5k and the revs seem to build up if that makes sense?! It's a bit more subdued. In a funny sort of way you can end up going quicker than you think in the 1.8 because you've just arrived at that speed rather than been catapulted there!

Don't get me wrong the 1.8 is a fast car, but ultimately it is 60BHP down on the CTR at top end and you can feel a big difference in torque in normal driving.

I find myself changing up earlier in the 1.8, and I know it red-lines 1k sooner, but it doesn't reward the high revs as much as the CTR. The V-tec change over is less obvious on the 1.8 but I guess this is due to the different systems. I'll pretty much red line the CTR quite often but I don't with the 1.8.

Moving away from the engines, the CTR definitely has stiffer suspension but not by a big margin. However it does suffer from a lot less body roll, it's almost flat by comparison. The turn into corners is very comparable, but the CTR has more grip, probably due to the wider track.

The brakes on the CTR are much stronger than the 1.8, but again both are very capable at stopping.

One thing that seems slightly the wrong way round is that the seat on the 1.8 at it's lowest position (where we always have it) is considerably lower than in the CTR, so you do feel like you are better seating postion in the 1.8!

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 1313 Posts