2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have measured all the aspects on my car and it does not sit low...it has 17" wheels on which was helped it not to clip certain bumps...but unsure whether thats not just psychological...

Today the missus and I were behind the EXACT same car spec as mine...5 door 1.8 06 plate. I followed him down a local road with 4 sets of speed bumps...he did around 25 and didn't scrape on any of them...I knew I couldn't do that so slowed down to 18 and gently rolled up to it and my car still scraped...using the same line as the car in front.

What could this possibly be? As stated it doesn't sit low but its as if the suspension has collapsed...the handling has been a little compromised recently..can this be an adjacent affect and is there anything I can look for.

I am working for the next 5 days and don't have the time to take my car into my garage (out of warranty so my local trusty garage) and they do spend a long time assessing even the smallest things.

The ride is crashy and HATES any pot holes in the road and the steering twitches frequently.

many thanks for ANY advice.
Mike

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Ok this is odd, even lowered cars wouldnt scrape the bumps. As for taking it to the garage well its either make the time or mess your car up. I know I would be making the time. Its more than likely to be the suspension to some extent. I think kwik fit can check this but i wouldnt have them carry the work out.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do Kwik Fit do the diagnosis free of charge?
...probably pushing it :)

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Do Kwik Fit do the diagnosis free of charge?
...probably pushing it :)

Not sure actaully, They might do a free suspension check, Use their website.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Could it be your car has mudflaps and the other doesn't? The civic mudflaps don't bend, they're solid plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Could it be your car has mudflaps and the other doesn't? The civic mudflaps don't bend, they're solid plastic.
+1 my mate had mud flaps on his car and would catch on speed bumps all the time.

how many people did you have in your car? Maybe you had some 'larger' people in the back which would push your car lower to the bumps which may catch. (Not being rude, just a question before you take it to a garage and costs you an arm and a leg for investigation work:facepalm:)
:worms:

Just read the post again and noticed its was only you and your OH in the car. So ignore the back seat passanger part

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not the plastic its that grinding sound of metal on tarmac...it is horrible!

The weight wasn't the issue as it does it when I am in the car on my own! Nor is the missus heavy...well...not THAT heavy :)

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Have you had a look under your car - is the engine cover dangling down?? id the exhaust loose?? - the civic has a flat floor so you shouldn't see anything poking out

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you had a look under your car - is the engine cover dangling down?? id the exhaust loose?? - the civic has a flat floor so you shouldn't see anything poking out
The engine cover is held very firmly..has only about 1/2mm play in it when pushing it up and down...
The exhaust is nice and secure...
the only thing is the rear suspension compound looks quite low...I will try to take a photo to show my point whenever I get it back :)

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so...an update...
my dad just rang me....
gave the mechanic the keys for the motor and told him to visit the same speed bumps...
he said the scraping is nothing to worry about...its just the floor of the car scraping and all the suspension seems fine when they put it on the ramp!

Might check the floor tonight when I get home and give this bloody big Discovery back!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
No No No No it shouldn't scrap over speed bumps - the mud flaps on mine just touch those things coming out of car parks but my car is well clear of normal speed bumps

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No No No No it shouldn't scrap over speed bumps - the mud flaps on mine just touch those things coming out of car parks but my car is well clear of normal speed bumps
I agree it shouldnt scrape over speed bumps...it is not designed for that...the only alternative I can think of is to call in at kwik fit and see what they think.

The garage my dad went to have always been very good and cannot fault their work (especially after I had a VW Golf for 3 days and the con rod went through the engine...on the m61!) they rebuilt it and it was reliable after that!

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On my lunch I got my car back and took some photo's to show the underside of my car..the only thing I noticed was that in the middle it does to seem to be seeped downwards.

please see the attached photo's and give any advice possible (apart from pumping up the tyre which is low :) )

STH70006.jpg
from the rear looking straight down

STH70007.jpg
bent my back a little further this time to try to get a parallel view

STH70008.jpg
driver side rear wheel

STH70009.jpg
passenger side rear wheel

STH70010.jpg
the suspension housing

STH70017.jpg
THE DIP IN THE MIDDLE??? WORRYABLE??

STH70016.jpg
passenger side wheel

STH70019.jpg
driver side...tyre needs pumping up..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
My car is also a 1.8 EX. If this helps, it does not have that "dip", which I assume is in the plastic panel beneath the engine. If that is the problem then I would expect the car to ground on entry to the speed bump so to speak, before the front wheels have mounted it. Is that the case ?. If it grounds after the front wheels have gone over the bump, then the problem is probably elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My car is also a 1.8 EX. If this helps, it does not have that "dip", which I assume is in the plastic panel beneath the engine. If that is the problem then I would expect the car to ground on entry to the speed bump so to speak, before the front wheels have mounted it. Is that the case ?. If it grounds after the front wheels have gone over the bump, then the problem is probably elsewhere.
It is very hard to tell...as I never want the noise to occur so I crawl over the speed bumps...but I have an inkling that it is just before....

I dont have the chance to raise it at the moment so will nip into another garage!

·
Silent Assassin
400 Posts
I too scrape on some speed bumps if i do more than 10mph over them.

but I know what causes it on my car, under the front bumper there are 2 little plastic flaps, it is these that scrape for me, and my god does it make a noise.... sounds like I have crashed the entire front of the car.

It even does it going into my works car park, they dont have speed bumps just a little slope.

usually happens when the front if the car has gone over the speed bump and the plastic flaps hit the road

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
I too scrape on some speed bumps if i do more than 10mph over them.

but I know what causes it on my car, under the front bumper there are 2 little plastic flaps, it is these that scrape for me, and my god does it make a noise.... sounds like I have crashed the entire front of the car.

It even does it going into my works car park, they dont have speed bumps just a little slope.

usually happens when the front if the car has gone over the speed bump and the plastic flaps hit the road
I have these as well, little wind deflectors or similar under the car made from plastic and which I catch on steep slopes or nasty speed bumps.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mine is definitely not that...it has a metallic sound to it and is much after the front has cleared. It is around the area or where my feet sit...after judging it today :)

·
Silent Assassin
400 Posts
you would be suprised at the noise it makes, it sounds like someone is ripping the front of the car off with a jcb :p

mine normally hits the road as the front wheels are clearing the bump.

looking at photo 3 in your Opening thread, it looks to me as though you have a bulge at the front of the car which looks quite low down, cant say I have ever noticed this on mine although i will have a look tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you would be suprised at the noise it makes, it sounds like someone is ripping the front of the car off with a jcb :p

mine normally hits the road as the front wheels are clearing the bump.

looking at photo 3 in your Opening thread, it looks to me as though you have a bulge at the front of the car which looks quite low down, cant say I have ever noticed this on mine although i will have a look tomorrow.
Much appreciated if you could...and even a ****** quality photo to show the mechanics...even if it costs an arm and a leg to order a new cover...I HATE SPEEDBUMPS!! and divots, and anything higher than about 4mm :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts