2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
I'm sure that they would say using reclaimed parts brings issues with quality, reliability, product liability, blah blah blah....
Mind you the nit who reversed into my FN2 with his Ford Ranger coughed up £900 directly to my chosen bodyshop without blinking.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Meh yeah... Whereas realistically everyone is going to be using reclaimed parts. Plus even if I was to take the full money I'd imagine my car would end up at an auction as a CAT N or broken for parts!

Hate to think what damage a Ranger would do to an FN2. There's one at work, they're big b*stards and would wreck a normal car.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Hate to think what damage a Ranger would do to an FN2. There's one at work, they're big b*stards and would wreck a normal car.
luckily he was just manoeuvring in the car park
punched his tow bar through the joint between upper and lower bumper sections.
new lower bumper & grill, repair to upper bumper and repair paint

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Someone did my car today to the opposite side when parked. Similar, but maybe not as severe. Cannot have anything nice, as too many muppets behind the wheel nowadays.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Na, I've told them I want to keep the Civic so they're just chasing Domino's insurers for the money. Then I'll buy the bumper and reinforcement bar off eBay then get to fixing it.

@Mugen_fd2 sucks to hear that. Staggers me how idiots can't avoid parked cars and then don't have the balls to own up about it. Was yours witnessed?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Han, some not very big scratch left to the bumper corner, but I can see black plastic and it’s huge in my eyes and hurts. :)

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
It’s a busy place in London where woman and white van men driving like crazy. People driving expensive cars and treat them like crap, let alone somebody else’s.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Maybe I should get a dash cam... I'm just glad the stupid delivery driver did and their boss snatched it off them before they could make up a story. Then again my car was parked up and reversed into so maybe some sort of recording door bell too :cautious:

It's silly to write off slightly older cars but that's the insurance business model, despite it being pretty wasteful for money and resources. The mk8 seems to have reached the bottom of it's depreciation but are still plentiful with breakers parts costing chips. A rear bumper is under £100 and a bumper bar is £20+, might need the latter as it seems to be the thing that sits behind the shell and offer the actual support.
Couple of cctv cameras and a dashcam definitely needed in this day and age.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It’s a busy place in London where woman and white van men driving like crazy. People driving expensive cars and treat them like crap, let alone somebody else’s.
Most people now are on PCP or some other finance, it's utterly exploded in the last few years and no one seems to own their own cars anymore.

Couple of cctv cameras and a dashcam definitely needed in this day and age.
I'll likely spend some of the pay out on a Ring doorbell and a dash cam, a Ring would have caught the idiot hitting my car and may have caught the plate too as my house is situated right on the end of the little row of houses.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What sort of cams exactly? And do they need wiring up or operate on batteries?

My collision wouldn't have been caught unless the camera was rolling 24/7 as the car was parked up outside my house doing nothing.

A doorbell camera would likely have caught the collision but not entirely sure about the car's reg.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Negativv the dashcam if hardwired in records even when the car is off so it's constantly rolling, decent ones have G sensors so will lock the footage if any movement detected

To get professionally fitted it's around 100-200 or DIY via YouTube guide

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
When my car was in Garage for service I could play back footage when car got back to see what was going on + audio

These days there's systems that operate onto a cloud or Bluetooth connectivity so you can view on your phone technology a scary thing !

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'll have to do a bit of research as I've got two cars to look after, the Civic is parked outside and is used the most but I spent far more of my money on the Alfa which I keep locked away.

I know front ones are as simple as a suction cup but I don't know a whole lot about rear ones or how they mount.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'm probably gonna get a rear camera wired in with a sticker on the back to many tailgaters in this day and age

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Do they ? Well the insurer I'm with don't need to declare mods unless those that increase performance

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,731 Posts
Just remember that insures count hardwired dashcams as a mod :(
Only some, and from what I've read these are often inexperienced call centre staff. A broker friend checked with his most popular underwriters and they don't count a hardwired dashcam as a mod because they are quickly removable on a USB plug, like a standalone SatNav.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
778 Posts
Someone did my car today to the opposite side when parked. Similar, but maybe not as severe. Cannot have anything nice, as too many muppets behind the wheel nowadays.
That sucks, that happened to me, was a really windy day and I parked next to a red car, low and behold when I returned my car, door had a dint and scrap, wind must of got hold of their door because it must of stuck fast door to door and they would of had to rock their car to remove the door from mine. It was a mess, asked company for cctv, didn’t work, figured. Now If I park any where and theirs a chance of damage occurring I take photos of mine, theirs etc to have at least some type evidence I can use if required

21 - 40 of 43 Posts