2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd open a new thread so people could see what the 5 door looks like professionally colour coded to match the main paint. I know there are plenty on here, but here's a new addition to the crew :)

Personally I think it's transformed the car, makes it look at least 5 years newer... might get a personalised number plate next to hide the fact that it's a '56 plate lol

Before

and here it is today after I picked it up from the bodyshop and quickly wiped it down...

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Very nice buddy, does takes years off the car and with the front mesh grill! A personalized plate would hide the age as the above and the car in general looks very clean and tidy. :cool:

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice buddy, does takes years off the car and with the front mesh grill! A personalized plate would hide the age as the above and the car in general looks very clean and tidy. :cool:
cheers bud, hoping a type :typer: spoiler will set it off nicely, then all that will be left is to save up several hundred quid and get the suspension done. Eibachs and FRS will come eventually... just need to figure out a way to get it past 'er indoors

"babe, erm... you know that knocking sound we keep getting and the uneven tyre wear on the front left??? well the guys in the garage have looked at the suspension, and it all needs replacing, gonna cost a fortune luv, but the car's unroadworthy without it"

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks awesome, good job
Thanks Farqui, time to start paying her a bit more attention now I think, but this shape Civic certainly ages well. I've been in cars only a few years old lately and they're still looking sparse and old fashioned... I mean... who has a needle pointing at printed numbers to tell them how fast they're going??? I mean, really? lol :)

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Looks quality mate, big improvement. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost?

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks quality mate, big improvement. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost?
local guy quoted me £250/£300, I used the "ooh, missus won't like that... " routine and got him to shake hands at his lower estimate of £250

Don't get me wrong... it isn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination... there are areas that weren't masked off properly, and parts of the trim that have clearly cracked slightly when re-attaching it to the car post-painting, but these are tiny and you really have to be looking closely to find them.

for what I paid, I'm extremely satisfied with the job. I popped in on them a bit of the way through and could see that they had completely sanded away the texture of the trim before plastic priming it so the surface was completely flat before painting, and the colour match is spot on. Which is surprising as I thought the original paintwork might have faded over the years... clearly not :)

I do however, regret not asking for the front lower grille and rear middle part to be painted black. but on reflection, it would have been another 2 days in the shop and there was no way I was driving that god awful mini around for any longer than I had to.

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts
A good price that but as ever if you'd have paid more and waited longer then the end result tends to improve. It's a bit of a balancing act.

Defo worth doing tho, I need to g-up my pals, pal to get crackin' with mine. He's had 'em over 2 months now

Was the Mini really that bad? Colleagues have the odd one and seem to rate 'em. Can't say that I'm a fan of the shape.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Balancing act is too true.

It was also a case of convincing my wife that spending £400 on the car's looks (I've also bought a Type :typer: spoiler) was a worthwhile investment.

I know it wont add any real world value to the car, but this will be our family car until it becomes a false economy to keep it running (many many years from now hopefully). So the least I wanted was to tidy it up a bit.

She was happy with that.

I know there are places that could have done a better job of the painting, but £250 was the top limit of the acceptable amount I could have spent really.

As for the mini.... this particular one was vile. It was a diesel Mini One, and I had to use it as my family car for 4 days. When you're used to a 5 door civic, dropping down to an underpowered, rickety, rusty, dirty , smelly (stank of cigarette smoke) Mini is just a bit of a piss take.

When driving it alone, it wasn't too bad. It was like a little go-kart around corners, but with your wife and daughter, and the shopping, and some luggage, it was just horrible.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Hi, it's looking good, I've got the same colour civic and am thinking of getting it colour coded to, I was thinking of the mesh part the same colour but can't find a pic of one with this done and I'm not sure how it would look,

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
thanks for this thread going to do mine when it warms up a bit, did they take all parts off or mask around them? anyone know if the trim comes off easy?
thanks mine is the same colour so will look good :)

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
thanks for this thread going to do mine when it warms up a bit, did they take all parts off or mask around them? anyone know if the trim comes off easy?
thanks mine is the same colour so will look good :)
Better off taking the trim off, as ive heard you get a better job as the paints sealed on round the edges better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts