2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you fellas have eargerly been awaiting this so here it is.....

A quick recap, I had the FD2 cams, hondata heat shield gasket, f/pro + dyno tune done while i was there. I was there approx 6 hrs, so if you are intending on these mods thats a ball park figure.

I was expecting around the 230 mark but i has happy it was over that! ;) (see the dyno plot). Sorry i do not have a before plot so i dont know how much ive gined with these mods.

The car feels the same at lower speeds but as soon as you hit that VTEC, boy does it motor. As soon as you hit that racing cam you know you have the sweet spot, its more aggressive than before and you can really feel the difference. The Hondata heat shield although does not provide any gains, it does a great job at keeping that manifold cool, preventing power loss. To prove this, I drove around for a while, then pulled over to feel the manifold and it was dead cool ;)

I think another member on here (Luke) has the same mods as me and achieved 240. For some reason my tyres were slipping on the duno slightly and my oil level was slightly high, maybe this was restricting a few more ponies? But as each car is different overall i should be happy. To really make great gains i'd need a new manifold toda maybe? But i cant be bothered with the changing come MOT time, so i 'may' stop here with the mods. What do you guys think the next mods should be? (if i decide to go further)

I also had a ride with Paul in his Fn2, I could not believe how quick this thing was, it pulled like a train!! I was told the manifold he has (toda) is making a huge difference and if was to go for that my fn2 would be similar to his. Gosh that thing was a absolute ANIMAL!;)

only negative point i had was whilst i was driving home, apparently my rear brake pad got stuck somehow on the disc and cooked it! So that ruined my drive home, ill document this in the brakes section.

Now where are those keys......... ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Nice figures... just look at the lump of torque on high cam... nice

·
Registered
114 Posts
excellent result mate!
reckon a manifold will give you big enough gains, would be a bit of a beast!

Reactions: Hustler2010

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
thats a great result matey, cant wait for my cams to go in soon. bit crap about the rear brakes.

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Great results, Get my FD2 cams next week now. Cant wait. Also
yes the TODA manifold is fantastic!

Reactions: Hustler2010

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks All

Ash your car will be awesome mate with those cams ! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Because you loose so much power by having it lower?? ;)
Will be interesting to see where [email protected] South sets my VTEC point next week, he seems to have a different approach to how its done up there, I'll ask him next week why he sets it so much higher than compared to you Paul.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Will be interesting to see where [email protected] South sets my VTEC point next week, he seems to have a different approach to how its done up there, I'll ask him next week why he sets it so much higher than compared to you Paul.
I was under the impression that (if maximising power through the rev range is the goal) there's only one optimum VTEC setting. By optimising cam angles and timing on both cams separately you'll come up with a low cam power curve and a high cam power curve. At the rpm where the high cam starts to make more power than the low cam, that's the ideal VTEC setting - or have I missed something here? :confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks All

Ash your car will be awesome mate with those cams ! ;)
Nice figures. At what rpms to you have the VTEC engagement on thoose FD2 cams?

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
I was under the impression that (if maximising power through the rev range is the goal) there's only one optimum VTEC setting. By optimising cam angles and timing on both cams separately you'll come up with a low cam power curve and a high cam power curve. At the rpm where the high cam starts to make more power than the low cam, that's the ideal VTEC setting - or have I missed something here? :confused:
Thats was my understanding of it also, Paul does it this way. Having had a map from TDI North and South, [email protected] set it to 3750rpm and showed me where the low and higher cams met. However TDI South set it at 4900rpm, I'll ask why next week when thr FD2 cams are fitted.:popcorn2:

Better stop thread crapping now.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I know some of you fellas have eargerly been awaiting this so here it is.....

A quick recap, I had the FD2 cams, hondata heat shield gasket, f/pro + dyno tune done while i was there. I was there approx 6 hrs, so if you are intending on these mods thats a ball park figure.

I was expecting around the 230 mark but i has happy it was over that! ;) (see the dyno plot). Sorry i do not have a before plot so i dont know how much ive gined with these mods.

The car feels the same at lower speeds but as soon as you hit that VTEC, boy does it motor. As soon as you hit that racing cam you know you have the sweet spot, its more aggressive than before and you can really feel the difference. The Hondata heat shield although does not provide any gains, it does a great job at keeping that manifold cool, preventing power loss. To prove this, I drove around for a while, then pulled over to feel the manifold and it was dead cool ;)

I think another member on here (Luke) has the same mods as me and achieved 240. For some reason my tyres were slipping on the duno slightly and my oil level was slightly high, maybe this was restricting a few more ponies? But as each car is different overall i should be happy. To really make great gains i'd need a new manifold toda maybe? But i cant be bothered with the changing come MOT time, so i 'may' stop here with the mods. What do you guys think the next mods should be? (if i decide to go further)

I also had a ride with Paul in his Fn2, I could not believe how quick this thing was, it pulled like a train!! I was told the manifold he has (toda) is making a huge difference and if was to go for that my fn2 would be similar to his. Gosh that thing was a absolute ANIMAL!;)

only negative point i had was whilst i was driving home, apparently my rear brake pad got stuck somehow on the disc and cooked it! So that ruined my drive home, ill document this in the brakes section.

Now where are those keys......... ;)

Hi there,

The toda manifold will give you much more midrange and make your car feel like it does now from lower rpms onwards. I was in on the 4th just before you so compare yours side by side to this.
View attachment DaHools FN2.pdf

Mine is power and torque up to about 6000rpm, yours comes alive with your cams @6000 onwards. Look at the extra midrange you could gain at about 5250rpm for example with the toda! Just like I can see what I would get top end with the cams.

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
Excellent results bud! :thumbsup:

If you got the FD2 Balancer Shaft Delete Kit (Toda stocks will be limited now) you should get another 10bhp, so you would be making around 245bhp road legal.

Manifold might give you similar gains to the delete kit, but as has been noted would free up a lot more torque lower down.

Horses for courses. You could always do both! :p

I do plan to get a manifold and find a friendly MOT garage. Cams by the end of the year maybe, depends on the £££ in the bank! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts