2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday at about mid day they were heading home from doing some shopping. Pulled out onto a large busy roundabout going right, about a quarter of the way round they encountered an elderly woman driving a jimny fast head on at them, my dad swerved left and she hit the rear door and quarter panel. She made no attempt to swerve, or brake and hit them while still accelerating. Luckily an off duty cop witnessed and phoned police who were there in minutes. The woman has no ideavwhat happened and according to witnesses she ran a crossing on the wrong side of road before the roundabout. Parents were very shaken and my mum (who really doesnt keep well) has whiplash. Found out today other parties insurance has admitted liability and she has been charged with dangerous driving. Jpolice said if my dad hadnt reacted the way he did there could have easily been a fatality. Just shows guys that being a good driver means can mean very little sometimes. And to top it all off my brother crashed his mondeo into a wall today swerving an idiot ( who kept driving btw) be safe out there guys

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
I've seen some truly shocking driving in the past from the elderly. I know some older folks can drive just fine, for example my grandad is in his 70s and is still a great driver, but there's no denying age can easily take its toll. I think it should be mandatory to have periodic mini-retests once you reach retirement age. I think after 70 it should be every year.

A car is a deadly weapon in the wrong hands, whether intentional or not.

Reactions: pedy

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cops said she prob will lose it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Thats bad news that. Good job everyone is ok. I really do think that elderly drivers are sometimes more dangerous than younger drivers. Might sound stereotypical but at that age their reaction times and awareness of things round them are reduced a lot.

Also hate driving behind the old dears who are chugging along at 20mph in a 30-40 zone. Worst.

Reactions: pedy

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I had some snobby old woman well 50ish start giving me abuse.
I was going down a tight single lane road when she appeared in front coming towards me. I pulled over as far as I could meaning I was pretty much in the hedge. she then decided to try and drive into me so the wheel of her landrover hit my tyre. I yelled stop! youve hit me!
"no I havent"
"yes you have look!"
looks, oh yeah
her response getting all shirty
"well your going to have to move out my way then"
my response #@@#1##23$&&$&&&&&&$&&$&$&
neither of us had right of way

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
I had some snobby old woman well 50ish start giving me abuse.
I was going down a tight single lane road when she appeared in front coming towards me. I pulled over as far as I could meaning I was pretty much in the hedge. she then decided to try and drive into me so the wheel of her landrover hit my tyre. I yelled stop! youve hit me!
"no I havent"
"yes you have look!"
looks, oh yeah
her response getting all shirty
"well your going to have to move out my way then"
my response #@@#1##23$&&$&&&&&&$&&$&$&
neither of us had right of way
Is she in the boot of your civic as we speak?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think for some people, driving the car they are behind the wheel of seems to be 15th down the list of other things that they deem more important to concentrate their mind on.

Dangerous driving by the elderly is a difficult thing for any government to clamp down on, as nobody wants to be seen to be picking on pensioners, and also for a lot of parts of the country bus services have been axed, meaning it wouldn't be possible for a lot of people to get around.

Its a tough one, but it isn't right that stuff like the above happens, its just very fortunate that in this instance nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
111 Posts
elderly

+1 civicjohn.
Dont tar us all with the same brush,. I am one of the oldest members of civinfo. I never dawdle anywhere and have recently driven 1700 mls around Scotland and back and never had a light flashed at me or a raised fist. The ones who annoy me most are those that sit on my boot when there is no chance whatever of overtaking . They are never older drivers:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
+1 civicjohn.
Dont tar us all with the same brush,. I am one of the oldest members of civinfo. I never dawdle anywhere and have recently driven 1700 mls around Scotland and back and never had a light flashed at me or a raised fist. The ones who annoy me most are those that sit on my boot when there is no chance whatever of overtaking . They are never older drivers:rolleyes:

these types of people make me want to do a long stretch behind bars

·
Oook
161 Posts
I agree civic John,
I've had a couple of near misses in the past, both elderly peeps (nothing against the elderly, buuuut...) one was coming down a slip road the wrong way, and the other was going round a roundabout the wrong way...

Also, thank god my nan had her licence taken away from her when she was diagnosed as epileptic (she's fine)... She was a liability who very nearly parked ontop of a motorcycle once, and also ran over my cousin on her driveway... To name but 2 things...

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took the parents to see the car today which is now deffo a total loss, they wanted my opinion on the damage and if it's worth keeping it and fixing it up, have to say that it is a lot worse than the pics, and the rear wheel is sitting at a dodgy angle. So it's a no go! Anyways they are now in the market for a new (used) car. My dad kinda wants a newer 307 but is open to suggestions, 8the gen civ is out his price range and dash is too confusing for him. But saw a few previous shape 1.7 cdti facelifts that look ok, any other suggestions, got to be a 5 door small family hatch, diesel and between 3 and 5k

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Really glad your parents are ok mate.

It's a shame that no matter how safe / good some people are at driving, there is always someone out there that can cause a danger.

I hope your mums recovers quickly and you get a nice pay out for the whiplash!!

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Was driving down to Plymouth on Sunday afternoon and actually saw an old man prob about 70 ish using the hard shoulder as one of the motorway lanes! He was totally oblivious to people flashing him and just kept accelerating!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.