2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2017 Civic into the dealership yesterday to have the My Honda Dongle installed. Dongle was installed but unfortunately there was a problem with its pin number and recognising the vin number. Honda are looking into it and once they have a solution dealership will contact me to bring car back. Dealership was also installing dongle in another Civic on the same day and it had the same problem.:frown2:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Took my 2017 Civic into the dealership yesterday to have the My Honda Dongle installed. Dongle was installed but unfortunately there was a problem with its pin number and recognising the vin number. Honda are looking into it and once they have a solution dealership will contact me to bring car back. Dealership was also installing dongle in another Civic on the same day and it had the same problem.:frown2:

I have been asking about this for a while now and my Honda service garage is working on it but they say there is a monthly fee which I thought was free for 3 years . They are trying to find out but does anyone know the official answer. I have a 2017 Civic

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I have been asking about this for a while now and my Honda service garage is working on it but they say there is a monthly fee which I thought was free for 3 years . They are trying to find out but does anyone know the official answer. I have a 2017 Civic
It's free for 3 years. I have a letter I can email u.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Reactions: Farqui

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Anyone from Ireland any info?

My dealer didn't know what I was talking about..
I Emailed Honda Ireland but as yet no reply.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Anyone from Ireland any info?

My dealer didn't know what I was talking about..
I Emailed Honda Ireland but as yet no reply.
Just got a call from Honda Ireland after my last post!

It's not yet available in Ireland. Apparently only UK and Germany so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also had some difficulties getting the dongle up and running, it's nearly sorted now, but in case it is helpful here is some information.

- I downloaded the "My Honda" app for iOS on my iPhone.

- I entered various details such as my name, mobile phone number and registration number which were accepted.

- After some hours, on reopening the app it was now asking me for a PIN code, which I did not have. I tried some obvious guesses (1234, 0000) without success.

- There was an option to "Disconnect", which I tried... but it then asked for my VIN code, which produced an error as being unrecognised... so no success yet.

- Dealer then advised... this is because I haven't got a dongle installed! So they installed the dongle for me.

- Following this, the dealer helped me set things up. He had what looked to be a plastic SIM card holder which had a PIN code and a PUK code printed on it, presumably the SIM itself is installed in the dongle and enables it to communicate with the world outside the vehicle. I tried entering the PIN code from the SIM card holder into the app, but this did not work.

- I tried to "Disconnect" again on the app, which again prompted me to enter the VIN code, again this produced an error as being unrecognised.

- I then re-entered all my details into the app, including registration number and mobile phone number, at which point this caused an SMS to be sent to my mobile phone, with the necessary PIN code.

- I typed this into the app, success, hooray. I think this then generated a confirmation code via SMS or email which I also entered into the app to confirm things.

- So, the PIN code is sent via text, it is not something you can locate on the car or the SIM card holder.

- This process only appears to work once some central server somewhere has received confirmation of the dongle installation, the registration number and the VIN code (presumably from the dealer).

At this point the app showed my mileage and driving score, but not the location of the car - well, it actually thought it was located in the Atlantic ocean, off the south coast of Ghana, but I assure you it wasn't. The dealer suggested this would update in due course.

Unfortunately the location of the car has not updated, and it's been a few days, so I'll get back in touch with the dealer to figure this last part out.

To be fair to Honda this looks to be a new service and the dealers are learning about the process currently, and no doubt there are a number of fairly complex technical things going on in the backend. My dealer has been great and I'm sure we will get it figure out shortly.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Did they give any indication if they would be rolling it out in other countries? Such as Ireland?
They had no idea, they said they would give me a call when any further info available..

Perhaps worth giving your dealer a call as well to see if they know anything further.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone

I recently had the dongle fitted to my 2017 Civic Sport Plus. What a waste of time. Most times it doesn't show the location, the number of miles travelled and the time are incorrect. Yesterday drove 30 miles the app said 12 miles and the journey time of 2 minutes
I have spoken to my dealer regarding it not working correctly. Thy have very little info from Honda. The Honda help desk is useless all they will do is put my call through to the dealer.
There is no charge for this from Honda for the first 3 years.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Hi everyone

I recently had the dongle fitted to my 2017 Civic Sport Plus. What a waste of time. Most times it doesn't show the location, the number of miles travelled and the time are incorrect. Yesterday drove 30 miles the app said 12 miles and the journey time of 2 minutes
I have spoken to my dealer regarding it not working correctly. Thy have very little info from Honda. The Honda help desk is useless all they will do is put my call through to the dealer.
There is no charge for this from Honda for the first 3 years.
Funny you should say this, I had mine fitted in May and over time it has become progressively inconsistent with the data it logs/or not at all!

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I asked for it to be installed when in for my first service tomorrow but got a call tonight to say they would need my iPhone ALL day to set it up.

Is that right ?
I can’t leave my work phone with them all day so they won’t fit it. Also if work change or replace the iPhone they would need it for another full day to pair up the replacement phone.

Sound like more hassle than it’s worth if it doesn’t even work reliably.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I asked for it to be installed when in for my first service tomorrow but got a call tonight to say they would need my iPhone ALL day to set it up.

Is that right ?
I can’t leave my work phone with them all day so they won’t fit it. Also if work change or replace the iPhone they would need it for another full day to pair up the replacement phone.

Sound like more hassle than it’s worth if it doesn’t even work reliably.
They don't need your phone, just your phone number which it sends an activation code to, which is then activated in the "my Honda" app.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,308 Posts
That's technology for you..... :worms: I remember back in the day a car was something to get you from A to B and in between you enjoyed the driving experience. These days it's all down to Tech. Tech that doesn't always work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The dumbest thing about this app is that if the car goes nowhere and sits on the drive day after day you get a good driving score of 100 (out of 100). If you drive its somewhere it counts the number of times you accelerate and brake and your score reduces accordingly. All this data is sent back and held on Honda computers somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
The one in my new car will not activate, the dealer has looked at it and even tried a replacement dongle.
It just keeps on coming up with invalid phone number\vin.
I assume the phone number should be entered like this +447955nnnnnn, with no 0 in front of the 7.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts