2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 100 of 199 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I picked up my 10G last week and I took the dongle from the 9G with me. The technician at the dealership submitted a request to Honda with my old VIN number to re-associate it with the new car. He connected it for me and it started working immediately in my app, however the app still lists my old 9G as my car. I'm guessing this will eventually update to show my 10G, the dealer said it would take around a week.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I'm experiencing some sort of app issue. When I reset my phone to out of the box condition and just install the My Honda app, it will start correctly. As soon as I install all the stuff I use, it won't start anymore.

Not sure which app causes the issue, but I've just replaced the Honda dongle with my bluetooth OBD2 adapter - don't want to waste more time on this without getting a real benefit. Torque Pro can do all the logging and stuff I want without sending it all over to Honda beforehand.

I guess I'll try setting up Torque Pro with OBD2AA so I can see some dials on the Android Auto display.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I've been offered a dongle at my service next week.
My phone is smart (smarter than me) but is a pay as you go, as I have it for emergency use only.
So , the dongle has to communicate with the app somehow- is it going to cost me a fortune in payg data charges ? I also have data switched off on the phone as my first internet connection - not wifi - cost me about £10, so is the dongle just going to sit in my car sulking ?
I update apps on the connect system using my home wifi but that is only when I am within range of a wifi connection, so it looks to me like the dongle won't be doing much for me.
Does anyone actually find it useful ?

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
I've just been mailshot by Honda.

They will fit it for free at my next service (end of Feb)

Do I, don't I ?

I only do just over 1,000 miles a year now so is it worth it ?

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
I've just been mailshot by Honda.

They will fit it for free at my next service (end of Feb)

Do I, don't I ?

I only do just over 1,000 miles a year now so is it worth it ?
It's up to you, take it or leave it :)
It's free.... you don't get much else for free in this life.
It does have it's benefits, it provides diagnostics which I believe are quite detailed in the event of a fault (yet to experience one mind)

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Thanks

I have told them to fit it next month. If nothing else it's another app to play with geek style.

Highly unlikely I will continue when they want a subscription in 3 years but you never know.

Wonder if they monitor it. If they do I'll probably get a call as the car has been in storage since late Sep, not even done a mile :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
How is everyone getting on with this App and dongle then?
I put mine back on the car today and with in 5 mins it told me my car had moved from its designated spot.

I noticed there was an update on the App to fix bugs but obviously not the Tracker system it seems.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Didn't get the app to work until now (still closes immediately because of some other app on my Android phone), so the dongle remains inside the glovebox.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
The app and dongle are working well on my 10G. I like the journey tracking with the maps, it would be nice if average MPG could also be added to each journey summary. Also, the app needs updating for the iPhone X as it does not fill the whole screen.

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
it would be nice if average MPG could also be added to each journey summary.
That would make it even better. Surely they could do that without too much problem.
What amuses me is all the one stars it picks up undeservedly because the idiot reviewing it hasn't got the dongle fitted. It's in the first line of the guide on Google Play.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
i cant find much on this dongle. is it this: FAQ
seems essentially a blackbox - tracks your driving style with a few added features to 'sell' it as something else.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
What else are they trying to sell it as? And it's free.
assuming the honda FAQ i linked in my previous post is the same dongle as been mentioned, it also appears to do impact notification (so carpark bumps get alerted on your phone?) and some social media link sharing. I came away after reading the FAQ with more of a social media focus than a blackbox focus.

not trying to be facetious, just trying to understand exactly what the product is doing to see if it's something worthwhile.
i'll be open though, i am very anti-monitoring solution and any blackbox product can only be a bad thing for the vast majority of drivers. It'll only encourage slower driving which will ultimately mean shorter sliproads become more dangerous with slower traffic joining as they don't want to trigger an acceleration threshhold and increase their premium and penalise those who drive safer by speed matching when changing lanes.

interesting thought: wouldn't "number pacing" (i lack a better term to use) to get a new daily highscore be considered pace-setting/timetrial which is against the T&C's of a lot/all road insurance? ignore how they dress it up, whats the core difference between timetrial and highscore driving?

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
Apparently, your 'car park bump' (which I have not heard about) is that if you are in a collision in which one or more airbags go off, it pings Hondacare, and they phone you on your mobile to see if you are OK. If you don't answer, they inform the emergency services telling them your location etc.
I see a major problem with this, as if you are OK, but haven't got your phone with you.......?

Ah, just read the FAQ and they only call the emergency services etc. if you ask them to. No phone with you = no request for assistance. There is nothing about a car park bump that I could see, only if an airbag has gone off.
And yes, this is the dongle/app to which this thread refers.

But you get a high score by driving more carefully. You are not pace setting or whatever.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Just under 2 weeks for mine.

I'll be having a play.

Honda will probably ring me to ask if it's working as I rarely use my car now. Went out last week, first journey since October.

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
Currently, the journey data displayed is: Map, Date, Time, Trip duration, Av speed and Driving style score. It would better serve its purpose if it included: MPG for trip and a sensible Driving score value.

What's wrong with the driving style score?
It starts the day at 100 and subtracts each acceleration/braking event that it thinks are 'Strong' from that per day. From My Honda FAQ
Let's assume that your driving style creates two events per mile.

Drive 1 mile in a day, your score is 98. Nice one.0:)

Drive 50 miles in a day, your score is zero. ***! >:) My driving style has been the same for both trips. (Would 100 miles give you a score of minus 100? Rhet.)

Nearly as much use as tits on a bull.

It needs to calculate the average of events per unit distance not per day to serve any useful purpose.

How can I have this whinge (valid suggestion) for improvement to the Honda app developers?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I think on the Google play store page is a contact information. It just goes to [email protected] with My Honda as topic. Guess it'll take a while to get processed, but worth a shot.

81 - 100 of 199 Posts