2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

After my previous post about installing my Kenwood DPX-504U into my Civic using an Impulse kit, I took the plunge and gave it a go this weekend.

As there is no specific guide to fitting an Impulse kit on this forum, I mainly followed the excellent guide here http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/41667-how-install-xcarlink-2008-civic-ex.html for how to get the dash apart.

For those that haven't done it before, here are some points which aren't always mentioned:

- The install isn't entirely "plug and play" you have to cut a small amount of plastic out of the new dash panel to get the head unit cage to fit

- You also have to cut a small section of plastic out of the dash to allow the new headunit to fit (in the hole left after removing the old head unit, in the bottom left corner of the hole there is a small section of plastic which was a mount point for a clip in the old dash panel. The new panel doesn't have this clip)

- I found mounting the cage into the new dash panel a little awkward, this bit took me the most time to get right.

- You are likely to need a crimping tool (or soldering iron) to crimp a couple of wires together: antenna power & steering wheel control

- Invest in some Bojo tools. For the sake of a few quid they make removing the dash panels much easier

- The small section at the top of the dash is a real pain to remove!

In all my install went well, and my steering wheel control is working fine as are all my original displays. I can't change folder using the steering control for some reason but it's not a big deal.

The two installation issues I had was that on the second panel I removed - the bit of dash under the steering wheel - one of the mounting clips sheered of even though I was being careful. Fortunately the panel went back on fine, and isn't loose. I also had a problem with the bit of plastic that comes as part of the kit that fits around the headunit. The clips that hold it in place are very thin and brittle and nearly all of them have broken. It fits fine anyhow, but I may try and replace this.

In all it took me in the region of 5 hours to complete, and I've never taken a dash apart before. There were a couple of added bonuses to doing the work:

- I was able to give everything a good clean while the car was in bits!

- I'd posted a previous problem about my on board computer not allowing me to change certain options. It was suggested that my handbrake may not be sending a signal properly. With the centre console out I noticed a loose wire, which should have been connected to the handbrake. I now have a working handbrake light, and can change all my on board computer options!

So if you are feeling brave give it a go, it was a useful experience and I'll be more confident of doing similar work in future. Thanks again for all the excellent info and advice available on this forum.

Cheers

Steve

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
. I also had a problem with the bit of plastic that comes as part of the kit that fits around the headunit. The clips that hold it in place are very thin and brittle and nearly all of them have broken. It fits fine anyhow, but I may try and replace this.
You and me both mate. I've done it on both my cars and was never able to get that off without breaking those clips.

·
Registered
283 Posts
panel

You and me both mate. I've done it on both my cars and was never able to get that off without breaking those clips.
the little panel around the head unit is the only let down in my opinion. I found you had to make the little cut-outs a little slack fitting to ensure you could 1/. get it off 2/. not break the clips. So far i've managed to not break any.

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
Hero - thanks for the write up! I am apprehensive about doing this myself!

Now lets see some pics of that sexy double DINner!!!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I was planning on doing this myself in the next couple of weeks.....however I don't like the sound of having to crimp/solder any wires :(. Did you have the full kit from impulse?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning on doing this myself in the next couple of weeks.....however I don't like the sound of having to crimp/solder any wires :(. Did you have the full kit from impulse?
Yep, I had the full kit. To be honest this part is much easier than it sounds. I bought a cheap crimping toolset from Maplin (less than £10) then it's just a case of stripping the end off both wires, insert wires into crimp connector, crimp one end, crimp the other and job done!

The join the crimp tool made was very strong, and I then tidied all the cables up as much as possible using cable ties. You do end up with a bit of a mess of cables anyhow, and it takes a little trial an error to get it to all fit back in the dash afterwards. But with most of the dash out of the way access is easy and you can pretty much see and feel what you are doing.

You'll almost certainly have to crimp the antenna power cable, but you may not need to crimp the steering wheel control depending on which headunit and steering wheel control adapter you use.

·
OOOOSH
800 Posts
Hello all

After my previous post about installing my Kenwood DPX-504U into my Civic using an Impulse kit, I took the plunge and gave it a go this weekend.

As there is no specific guide to fitting an Impulse kit on this forum, I mainly followed the excellent guide here http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/41667-how-install-xcarlink-2008-civic-ex.html for how to get the dash apart.

For those that haven't done it before, here are some points which aren't always mentioned:

- The install isn't entirely "plug and play" you have to cut a small amount of plastic out of the new dash panel to get the head unit cage to fit

Steve
Just for info, I did a `how to` guide, including pics of fitting the impulse kit

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/65...d-reversing-camera-aftermarked-head-unit.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for info, I did a `how to` guide, including pics of fitting the impulse kit

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/65...d-reversing-camera-aftermarked-head-unit.html
That's a great write up, thanks for that. I wish I had found it before I began my install, but at least it confirms that I did the right thing!

One thing I didn't understand during my install was the "positions 17 and 19" thing when fitting the cage mount. I couldn't work out if it was meant to raise/lower the stereo or if it was meant to be 17 on one side and 19 on the other (and so angle the stereo). In the end I just did both sides all round to 19 and it seemed fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.