2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
The dash piece turned up today and they look amazing, over the moon with them.

These are not great pictures as I have had very little time to fit them and the car is a right mess, but should give you an idea. Really happy with the finish. The logos look superb and the match to the genuine F-Sport gear knob is superb so all in all a great job.

Looks so much better than the strange metallic blue that Lexus originally used on the car, no idea why as the blue didn't match with anywhere else on the car.

Feels much sportier inside not, much less "Grandad"

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Yeah really happy with them.

So happy I just bought myself a set of Meister R coilovers! They have got some fantastic reviews from other Lexus owners with regards to comfort so couldn't resist any longer

·
Administrator
17,935 Posts
Will be interesting to hear how the Meister's work on your steed. Bravo for taking the plunge.

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Will be interesting to hear how the Meister's work on your steed. Bravo for taking the plunge.
Yeah I'm expecting now loss in comfort but with the ability to go lower. This is what I have heard from others running the previous Meister setup on Lexus's.

I'm yet to believe it though my experiences with coilovers and springs has almost always come at the cost of comfort, however the Lexus does have the best suspension setup I have ever experienced so its a good setup to start with.

I'm sure no one will disagree the civic suspension is far from refined and comfortable out the box so I guess its adding coilovers and such are never going to turn it into something its not.

No idea when I'm going to get time to fit the coilovers, desperately want to get them on as it makes such a difference to the looks but need a few evenings spare which I don't have

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Carbon interior looks great, mate! Looks very high-end, which can be difficult when getting carbon interior parts, as I can go the other way and look chavvy! I reckon it's those official-looking f-sport badges that pull it all together!

Stance on your car is going to be amazing with Meister's on, too!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Bit more progress made this week
These arrived yesterday:

So this evening I managed to get the rears on, this is far from the final height or where I will have the suspension set, I will work that out once I have the fronts on and I have given them a few miles to settle in and then work out exactly what height I want that looks right, but will give you an idea

Random photo showing the arch gap, its pretty close but just seems to miss the quarter panel lip, which is nice saves me having to do any arch rolling and such which I wasn't looking forward too as I have never seen it done well enough without the need for filler and painting!

Some of you may have noticed in the picture above the addition of a rear upper glass spoiler, I'm still not 100% on this but I am thinking it will be complimented by the new smoothed wald spoiler that I am currently on with achieving on the tailgate, you may noticed I have removed the f-sport spoiler.
Basically once the new spoiler is smoothed in it will look like the images below, however this is a good 25-30 hour job to make a wald spoiler looks as nice as this as there is some serious work to stop it looking like it is just stuck ontop of the tailgate and make it look like it is 1 with the metal
This is how a half smoothed wald would look like, far from the standard I would be happy with

This is what I am looking to achieve over the next few weeks, but it is literally hours and hours of work and rubbing

I think the upper spoiler will work perfectly with the smoothed wald spoiler!
Fingers crossed I may get time tomorrow evening to get the front coilovers in!

·
Administrator
17,935 Posts
Wh00t, that's a big package

Well done getting the rears installed and fingers crossed the fronts go on tomorrow. Meanwhile, here on the Belgian cobbles...I'm considering taking my coilies off :facepalm:

Blimey mate, that boot spoiler will look flippin' epic with the amount of work you'll be putting in. You're still full on with the details, regardless of the effort involved

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Bit more progress this evening, I managed to get the front coilovers in also, really impressed with the quality of the Meister R's they seem very good. What impresses me most about them though is that they are not bone shatteringly hard, which was something I was extremely keen to avoid on such a comfortable car as the IS250
Took a few pictures but please be aware this is not the final ride height (it will be somewhere around this after a bit of working out what looks best and avoiding any scraping), its basically as they came out the box with a bit of screwing up where required so they don't destroy my tyres.
The final height will not be what a lot of people call "low" it will just be sporty with a nice shape around the wing to tyre, I think it looks silly once the wings start coming over the top of the tyres personally but its each to their own

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Wh00t, that's a big package

Well done getting the rears installed and fingers crossed the fronts go on tomorrow. Meanwhile, here on the Belgian cobbles...I'm considering taking my coilies off :facepalm:

Blimey mate, that boot spoiler will look flippin' epic with the amount of work you'll be putting in. You're still full on with the details, regardless of the effort involved
Yep fronts went well mate, no issues!

How come you are taking yours at? I was going to look to you for feedback on what you had found by different settings with the Meister's actually! I seem to remember you saying setting them completely to soft doesn't give the best ride?

Basically I have just left them exactly as they came out the box and would them right around to soft, and the comfort is very good, but interested if what you found could be achieved with preload changes and hard-soft changes

Yeah the boot spoiler will be something else providing I can get it right, it is going to push what I can do to the limit, its not where my natural bodywork abilities are shall I say, with enough time and effort though I'm confident I can get it right

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,935 Posts
I'm running 10mm preload which seems to soften the springs a tad but at the expensive of travel. Every now and again I get a reet good whomp through the fronts. Cyberspeed reckon a harder spring without preload helps, so I will try them and maybe fiddle with preload but in smaller amounts.

The hard spring/shock mounts transmit alot of road noise and bumps into the cabin. Which gets tiring on long journey's. I have removed most of the Polybushes now too, in an effort to improve comfort. It's helped but is still embarrassing sometimes.

The coilies give great cornering but for a daily, over rough roads they aren't going a good job at the moment.

The damping is quite fine on my dampers, click back from full hard (as per manual) and initially go 90% towards soft. Around 20-25 clicks here, out of 32. Once they bed in, then click 3 towards hard on repeat your daily commute over known roads. Repeat until your teeth fall out(!) and then back off a click or two to find the sweet spot.

I'm not convinced preload works too well as it limits travel but if you need to then try adding a bit. We have up to 20mm available on the Civic, I wonder if yours are the same?

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I'm running 10mm preload which seems to soften the springs a tad but at the expensive of travel. Every now and again I get a reet good whomp through the fronts. Cyberspeed reckon a harder spring without preload helps, so I will try them and maybe fiddle with preload but in smaller amounts.

The hard spring/shock mounts transmit alot of road noise and bumps into the cabin. Which gets tiring on long journey's. I have removed most of the Polybushes now too, in an effort to improve comfort. It's helped but is still embarrassing sometimes.

The coilies give great cornering but for a daily, over rough roads they aren't going a good job at the moment.

The damping is quite fine on my dampers, click back from full hard (as per manual) and initially go 90% towards soft. Around 20-25 clicks here, out of 32. Once they bed in, then click 3 towards hard on repeat your daily commute over known roads. Repeat until your teeth fall out(!) and then back off a click or two to find the sweet spot.

I'm not convinced preload works too well as it limits travel but if you need to then try adding a bit. We have up to 20mm available on the Civic, I wonder if yours are the same?
Great info, to be honest its impressively comfortable as it is, I'm not great with this sort of thing end up not being able to feel any difference to how it was before and end up going back to where I started lol

Currently I think it comes with about 2mm preload and I have stuck the coilovers on complete soft, the ride seems good, basically feels just like it did before the coilovers.

What are the negatives of putting them to full soft other than less handling ability? I'm really not aiming for amazing handling with this car so comfort and style come well before currently!

·
Administrator
17,935 Posts
Full soft maybe a bit too bouncy on certain roads, you really need to drive over lots of different roads.

Some damping is good, so a few off soft should tame the dampers.

Full soft may be a bit wallow in the corners too, especially if you have softish/comfy springs.

Have a play every few hundred miles 😋 If you tweak too often then you may not notice the differences. If you set and drive for a while then any changes are more noticeable, I find.

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Full soft maybe a bit too bouncy on certain roads, you really need to drive over lots of different roads.

Some damping is good, so a few off soft should tame the dampers.

Full soft may be a bit wallow in the corners too, especially if you have softish/comfy springs.

Have a play every few hundred miles 😋 If you tweak too often then you may not notice the differences. If you set and drive for a while then any changes are more noticeable, I find.
Yeah I will stick it say 10 click from soft on the front tomorrow and see if it feels any less comfortable and go from there.

Cheers for the help, I honestly think trying to achieve real comfort from the civic suspension setup is fighting a loosing battle mate.

I have a feeling the eibach koni fsd setup I had would be about as comfortable as you are going to get and it was still far from "refined" and as you say embarrassing at times!

121 - 140 of 173 Posts