2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my hands on my new Civic 2.2 EX yesterday....exactly as i had hoped and dreamed the Storm wheels and privacy glass finshed it off brilliantly. :D ..but driving home last night.....bing a yellow light appears on my lovely new dashboard...oil pressure!. **** i think....i manage to get to the service station with the smell of burning getting stronger by the second. i opened the bonnet and to my horror the whole engine bay was covered in oil! :cry:
I spotted the culprit staright away...the Engine oil cap was missing, the garage most have forgtotton to put it back on after the PDI...it was still in the bay resting in a corner, i toppped the oil up replaced the cap and got on my way.

I have rang the dealer this morning and i am waiting for his call back to see what they are gonna do about it...just wondering how much damage was done to engine i had driven about 60 miles when the light had come on.. the light has come back this morning but the oil level is ok....

must admit spoilt the day..just a tad!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats on the car and great spec...but gutted for you regarding the oil! Hope the dealer can sort out asap for you! Keep us updated!

·
您看了
456 Posts
If the light has come back this morning but the level is ok then you need to stop driving the car. It could well mean that there is a problem with the engine caused by yesterdays event.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Be prepared to reject the car. You have a right to return the car under the Sale of Goods act. You'd need to do this immediately though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The dealer has been negligent, reject this car immediately!!! Demand they take it back, and demand a appropriate transport from them until your replacement car comes through or you'll be taking them to court. Damage beyond repair may have happened to the engine. Sorry to hear this has happened bud but don't take no for answer, they don't have a leg to stand on. Document every phone call/meeting and take a note of the chassis number incase they try to give you it back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey aman,

What was the outcome with your car? I assume you have been back to the dealer. What did they say? If the light that came on was orange, that was the oil level warning light not oil pressure (that's red), so prehaps things are not so bad as you thought.

Good luck anyway

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice guys,
ok update dealership have arranged for it to be taken away today. the light hasn't come back on since and the car has been driving fine. but intersting thing is when i spoke to local dealer the service manager has said that he has heard of 3 civics in the Uk that this has happened on. removing the oil cap is not part of the PDI, so maybe there is an issue with the cap coming off through vibration???? Personally i find that hard to beleive..i think some yts lad was told to top the oil and he forgot to replace the cap.

I will put some pix of the car up in the gallery this weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Do not accept this car. Now it's back with the dealer, get it in writing that you want a replacement under the sale of goods act.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Whatever you do, hopefully this is not too late. Do NOT tell them you drove any more distance than necessary when the light came on. The light came on, and you stopped straight away.

They will turn it around and state that you should stop immediately and not drive with the oil light on.

I would hope they put you in an 'at least' equivalent car in the mean time, while they check it out. Also, you could get a 3rd party report/advice - The AA may be a good place to start. Try and find out how much oil needed to be added to bring it back to level - Did you check the dipstick , was it off the bottom of the scale?

Write a letter to the dealer prinicpal, and copy the area manager for Honda, stating your disappointment, concerns over future reliability, new car experience ruined, and lay it on thick - You know the sort of thing. I personally would reject the vehicle, and ask for an accessory or 2 on the replacement car. We did it with my wifes MINI, it can be done, and I believe you have a good case. If the oil was that low they cannot, without taking the engine apart, guarantee that no damage has been done.

Obviously, it is your choice, but you have paid a lot of money for a new car, and so far have had an awful experience. Honda should now put things right for you. The critical thing is to get in there quickly, be polite but assertive. You are a consumer and do have rights.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
If necessary, contact Honda Customer Service directly - their phone number is on the website.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,179 Posts
time for some good compo if you keep it, starting with honda happiness, which most 2.2 owners cannot get, and haggle from there...up of corse;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts