2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

My new Honda Civic 9g

15K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  Kremmen 
#1 ·

sent from my Samsung S3

See less See more
#2 ·
This is my new Civic. So , what do I think ? Well I came to this car from a BMW 1 series which I absolutely loved. I call this my 'having two daughters at Uni' car ! Oh my lord , how much more money can the government extract from one man !
The car is a 1.6 iDTEC EX version. I guess its true to say I'm still getting used to the car . I'm not going to compare it to the bimmer as you get into the 'front drive v rear wheel drive' debate.
I have yet to complete a long journey in the car so we'll see as to how it does.
Good points - lots of space, lots of gadgets, diesel engine seems good and I like the looks
Bad points - the lamps are poor and I will try new bulbs, the drivers chair feels a bit short in the squab, the steering wheel feels 'cheap' . That is my main interface with the car and it doesn't feel good.
Overall, I like it !

sent from my Samsung S3

#3 ·
Very Nice Mate [smilie=superkewl.g:

#6 ·
I had a 118D MSport before my last car - two totally different motors. The 118 was fun for the occasional blast but as an every day car it was a total disaster and I couldn't wait to get shot.

no space, impractical in so many way, useless boot, back breaking ride and utterly useless in the snow.

Enjoy your Civic - I have loved the first 5 weeks and 3.5k miles in mine - agree about the bulbs thought!

#7 ·
Hi Slider2, interesting to hear your views on the 1 series. Have to say I adored the msport I had for four years , yes the ride was bone-hard, yes it was pants in the snow , yes it had limited space but I loved that Chris Bangle design and I thought it had fab A to B capability.
I chose the Civic as my company car replacement and have high expectations of it .

sent from my Samsung S3

#11 ·
Congratulations on a great Choice. The 1-series is one of the cars I'd consider if it was a bit cheaper. Compared to the Civic you just get a lot more car for Your Money choosing the Civic. And the Civic grows on you. I actually think the steeringwheel is great, and all the Controls are right where you expect them to be :)

#13 ·
I am getting to like it more and more, completed quite a long trip yesterday in bad weather and the car is very capable.
Have to say that I could have chosen from a whole range of manufacturers but the Civic because of its low emissions presents a good BIK (benefit in kind) . I am not going to constantly compare it to the 1 series as they are quite different cars.
Still don't like that steering wheel though but I'm already just accepting the car and how it feels.
I am seeing more of them about now and yesterday I parked (in an NCP), next to a black and a white 9g ! Made me feel quite good to park my silver EX next to them (my partner said that was a bit sad...) but phooey to her .

sent from my Samsung S3

#15 ·
Right, update time . completed another long trip yesterday in the Civic. Have to say that I'm liking the car more & more. But I do wish that Honda offered HID on this version. The standard bulbs are woeful. I've read various threads on here and the popular upgrade is a 65k replacement. But these won't necessarily increase the light output which is what I'm really after. So , any suggestions anyone ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I have to say after the Insight which was my first car with HIDs I have them again in my Civic and I will never ever buy another car without HIDs. The difference is quite literally night and day. Also in the Civic where the high beam is now HID as well combined with the automated dipping the comfort in the night is just awesome.

#17 ·
I know...driving in the dark is so relaxing in the New Civic, I just love it! I wasn't aware of the Automatic dipping lights when I bought the car, pleasant surprise! And will never buy a car without it again :D

#19 ·
As we get further into winter, the lack of HID being available on this version (1.6 dTEC), is beginning to really annoy now. I work for a large corporate company and have already mentioned this to colleagues who are investigating a vehicle change. I have read that the MY14 may well address this - I will be really annoyed then !
I do like the car but after a good few longer journeys now, there are a few ****** in the 9g's armour.
Don't really want this to turn into a whinge blog so need to decide what I'm going to do with the headlight bulbs. Hummmm.

sent from my Samsung S3

#26 ·
Its been a long time since I gave an update on the Civic. I've completed about 10k miles in the car now. I think my one overriding view of the car is that's its noisy. Road roar is a constant companion on all but the smoothest road surface. Concrete surfaces seem to resonate through the car.
Now that reads as though I don't like the car but I do. I love the looks, appreciate the gadgets and miserly diesel engine. But ...that noise .
I have upgraded the bulbs to Osram Night breakers and they are good but what a trial they were to fit .
I'd be interested to know other peoples view about the perceived noise in the car - or is it just me?

#27 ·
No it is not just you. It resonates on rough tarmac and I have an annoying rattle in the dashboard on those roads. It is completly silent on good tarmac, but on bad one...it changes. Also on windy days I have a whistle on the right side. As if the wind gets inside from somewhere. But on good roads I say it again, it is silent even at more than 150km/h.

#30 ·
Had my 9g just two weeks now but it is very quiet - I haven't noticed any noise but then that's maybe due to my 'old' CRV being louder on bigger wheels. Also quieter than my old 8g 2008 EX which had 17" wheels.

So I think it's just you ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.