2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly this is a completely unbias opinion and it is just for anyone interested. I loved my Type R and after a small time of ownership I also love my ST.

Driving
They are both quite similar in that they are obviously hot hatches, the Type R gives it's power very high up in the rev range whereas the ST puts the power in straight away with a growl rather than a scream. The overall 0-60 times are supposed to be the same but I seriously think the ST is quicker, and definitely pulls way past 60 quicker than the R. The gear changes were more snappy and rifle like in the R. The ST has quite short throws also though.

Handling
Overall I think the R actually sticks to the road a lot better, the ST scrabbles for grip occasionally (not the tyres Eagle F1s) and can't put its power down straight away without wheel spin. Don't get me wrong though, show it some corners and it definitely goes around them, theres not a trace of understeer that I can find just yet. The feel from the steering is about the same in both cars, you feel secure that wherever you point the wheel the car will go.

Comfort
The ST wins this hands down I'm afraid, they have somehow managed to combine a lovely ride with fantastic handling. The R was fantastic at handling but it's bouncy ride (even on eibachs) just put me off the car and I actually found that on some roads I would have to go slower just due to the ride.

Interior
This is one that the ST wins hands down. Obviously mostly due to being a much newer car, theres absolutely no rattles (that I've found yet) and the materials makes it a lovely place to be. Yes i do miss the querky interior of the R and the futuristic look. Whilst we are on about the interior the Recaro seats are fantastic, BUT I did find the R's seats much more comfortable to sit in, the ST's kind of pinch at the sides. There is about the same amount of room inside the cars but the boot space is slightly smaller on the ST.

Looks
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But lets all be honest, a Standard type R is starting to get on a bit... its still a beautiful car but i personally think the ST has it in the looks department. Its not as chavvy as the old one and seems to have grown up a bit.

Overall
This is the tricky bit. In a sentance, currently, at this moment in time. The ST wins. As an all round car, comfort and power, economy and day to day duties of the car it's just better. Obviously a lot of this is due to just being a newer model.

IF I wanted a more performance only orientated car, maybe just as a weekend toy I think I would be tempted to get another R and mod it out completely.

Well there you go guys. Please feel free to ask more questions if you feel I've missed bits (which I probably have) They are of course my own views though :)

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate, I do miss the Jap scene and I think this car may just be a stop gap until the new Type R gets here... guess we will just have to see!

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Good review thanks.

I do prefer the new ST to the old ST looks-wise interior and exterior.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha!! Dave, have you seen the new ST interior? I have a gallery thread if you want to have a gander, much better than the old ST..

Hmm the track day question is a difficult one.. I think the Type R would be the better handling car and nicest in the corners, whereas the ST would have the power constantly whenever it's needed

Think I may have to side with the R for now

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
Haha!! Dave, have you seen the new ST interior? I have a gallery thread if you want to have a gander, much better than the old ST..

Hmm the track day question is a difficult one.. I think the Type R would be the better handling car and nicest in the corners, whereas the ST would have the power constantly whenever it's needed

Think I may have to side with the R for now
It is actually quite nice after having a look :D but I still think the Type R interior is one of the best out there, the only other car I have ever sat in and preffered is a C63 amg.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha the amg we shall take as granted :p

Got to say the type r's interior is definitely something completely different and looks absolutely stunning!!! I was only saying the interior of this seems less 'harsh' the plastics seem a bit nicer that's all :)

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I pulled a few shots off google Phat, hope you don't mind but being professional shots they showed off the interior slightly better.

I have to say it looks nice:

Slightly different spec:

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
that dash makes my head hurt :(, far too many buttons and dials and stuff, looks like a 5 year old was let loose with the parts bin. Seats looks pretty tasty though!

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers for the extra photos :D I believe the different spec one might be the ST-3 with sat nav.. Or it may be an American version or w.e...

As to the buttons- you'd be surprised at how simple it all is to use, take the steering wheel button clusters for example, the left hand circle controls the left screen, and the right hand circle controls the screen behind the wheel. It's really easy to use.

Fords SYNC stuff is pretty impressive too regarding the phone and music etc

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The dark side seems dirty..... But I like it :D haha have to be honest the megane came close... My friend is looking to possibly get one soon so I can have another comparison there :D

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Well I have to admit, it looks much higher quality than R or even 9 Gen inside.

Those seats are sublime and although a little loud for some, looking at the pics I posted, there is the black only option if that's the case.

The leather on the steering wheel and centre console looks quality and so does the dash.

Overall just looking at the top 2 pictures from the slightly less loud version as its more on a par with the 9 gen, I'd say it looks higher quality overall and you kind of have to wonder how Ford do it for the price.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the comfort/handling balance. Ford have really got that side of their chassis down to a exact science.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts