2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most on here, I dont like most aftermarket DRL installs. They either look completely out of place or just not bright enough :(

The LED strips are just too dim during bright day light hours to be proper DRLs and having them on at night is more a styling choice for many. A lot of the LED DRL units are also not really bright enough either.

I bought these and whilst I quite like the look of them, they are just not bright enough during the day and was still conscious of them stuck on the front of the car.....

Vehicle Automotive exterior Grille Car Bumper Vehicle Car Honda Honda civic Mode of transport

The problem is that a lot of the units available on ebay etc. are Chinese and use either 0.5w SMDs or 1w SMDs. Some of the newer designs use the brighter but very cheap 5050 SMDs with 40 lum/watt per bulb, but still look dim in comparison to OEM DRLs such as those on Audi's or Merc's. The reason is that the OEM's use Osram LEDs (http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0dc7/0900766b80dc7993.pdf ) rated at 1w or 1.5w with 90 lum/watt and dedicated focal lenses.

Osram DRLs are very rare, but I have sourced some which give an impressive light output and will be offering them for a sale soon. The will easily fit to the grill of the Civic or can be mounted into the new style Type S fog light blanks. They come with a control box which turns them off when the side lights come on or dims them to 50%, E-Marked and good quality OEM wiring...

Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory Cable Auto part

A friend of mine at a local garage put me onto these, a customer with a Discovery had them fitted when he was in France. He showed them to me and they are very bright. Unfortunatley I did not have my camera with me :( but these example pics show them well...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle City car Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Grille Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Automotive lighting

The pic of the Civic is of DRLs offered by a German site for 300 euros, but the LED units in them are the same as the ones I have sourced (and mine are much much cheaper!)... The pic is just to show what to expect :p

In the mean time I have modified my Fog lights for my up coming trip to Slovakia (where DRLs are mandatory). I have installed H11 68 SMD Bulbs and connect the to the DRL Control Box that came with DRLs above. So they switch on when the ignition is on, but turn on when the side lights/head lights/auto lights come on. I can turn them off with a master switch under the dash and they still function as Fog Lights. As fog lights they are very bright at night, but wont be as effective at cutting through fog as standard halogen bulbs. I dont mind as I hardly ever use the fogs anyway.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Hatchback Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Headlamp Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Alloy wheel Automotive exterior Light Automotive lighting Headlamp Automotive design Automotive exterior

During the day, they are not as bright as I would like, but are still very visible during bright sunlight (eqv to a 20 watt bulb) and will be more than adequate for my trip. The photos don't really do them justice. I will put together a 'How to' soon...

Really simple to do!

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I've been on the same hunt for great DRL Lights but most of the commercial sets I've seen are cheap plastic or are stupidly expensive.

I wanted them to look as OEM as possible while being bright enough to see during the day...
They are really starting to look ace mate - are they yellow tho or is it just my screen

·
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2,653 Posts
They are really starting to look ace mate - are they yellow tho or is it just my screen
Yellow when they are off as I believe that's the standard for the good LEDs. Bright white when on though :D

·
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
941 Posts
Yellow when they are off as I believe that's the standard for the good LEDs. Bright white when on though :D
The yellow is only the surface that the LED Elements are manufactured on, there are 3 in each unit in mine! The light they produce is pure white with no hint of yellow :D

lukits01 - are they just normal 5mm LEDs in yours?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Hi Bog, are these DRL's ready for sale yet or has it fell through, I would be interested in these as they seem the best on offer at the moment,

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Osram DRLs are very rare, but I have sourced some which give an impressive light output and will be offering them for a sale soon. The will easily fit to the grill of the Civic or can be mounted into the new style Type S fog light blanks. They come with a control box which turns them off when the side lights come on or dims them to 50%, E-Marked and good quality OEM wiring...

View attachment 54977

A friend of mine at a local garage put me onto these, a customer with a Discovery had them fitted when he was in France. He showed them to me and they are very bright. Unfortunatley I did not have my camera with me :( but these example pics show them well...

View attachment 54978 View attachment 54979 View attachment 54980

The pic of the Civic is of DRLs offered by a German site for 300 euros, but the LED units in them are the same as the ones I have sourced (and mine are much much cheaper!)... The pic is just to show what to expect :p
:)

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Bog, are these DRL's ready for sale yet or has it fell through, I would be interested in these as they seem the best on offer at the moment,
Will be soon, just took time to negotiate prices but will be around £65 delivered (in UK)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sorry gents, DRL's look terrible on any car IMO, its a "look at me" kinda thing, modern day neons.... each to their own though!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Like most on here, I dont like most aftermarket DRL installs. They either look completely out of place or just not bright enough :(

The LED strips are just too dim during bright day light hours to be proper DRLs and having them on at night is more a styling choice for many. A lot of the LED DRL units are also not really bright enough either.

I bought these and whilst I quite like the look of them, they are just not bright enough during the day and was still conscious of them stuck on the front of the car.....

View attachment 54975 View attachment 54976

The problem is that a lot of the units available on ebay etc. are Chinese and use either 0.5w SMDs or 1w SMDs. Some of the newer designs use the brighter but very cheap 5050 SMDs with 40 lum/watt per bulb, but still look dim in comparison to OEM DRLs such as those on Audi's or Merc's. The reason is that the OEM's use Osram LEDs (http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0dc7/0900766b80dc7993.pdf ) rated at 1w or 1.5w with 90 lum/watt and dedicated focal lenses.

View attachment 54977

View attachment 54978 View attachment 54979 View attachment 54980

In the mean time I have modified my Fog lights for my up coming trip to Slovakia (where DRLs are mandatory). I have installed H11 68 SMD Bulbs and connect the to the DRL Control Box that came with DRLs above. So they switch on when the ignition is on, but turn on when the side lights/head lights/auto lights come on. I can turn them off with a master switch under the dash and they still function as Fog Lights. As fog lights they are very bright at night, but wont be as effective at cutting through fog as standard halogen bulbs. I dont mind as I hardly ever use the fogs anyway.

View attachment 54981 View attachment 54982 View attachment 54983 View attachment 54984 View attachment 54985

During the day, they are not as bright as I would like, but are still very visible during bright sunlight (eqv to a 20 watt bulb) and will be more than adequate for my trip. The photos don't really do them justice. I will put together a 'How to' soon...

Really simple to do!
Hello

Could you give me some dimensions ie Diameter and depth of DRL?

Rergards ;)

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hello

Could you give me some dimensions ie Diameter and depth of DRL?

Rergards ;)
The lens diameter is 3.2cm but the main casing is 2.54 cm.. This mean they will 'clip' into the Civic grill (Quite tight). The depth is 1.42 cm.

Here are some more specs :)

Led Type: Osram Golden DRAGON+ Chip SMD LED (Same as Hella, Audi, Mercedes etc use)
Colour: White
Luminous Flux: 112lm per LED
Colour Temperature: 5600K
Lens: PMMA Focused
Standards: IP68 LED DRL, ECE Regulation 287, RL00(E4)0103 & CE&RoHS
Housing: Waterproof Aluminum housing
Control: 2 x 2 Funtion Control Units - DRLs off when main lights on or DRLs to position lights (Dim by 75%)

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
All "Scandinavian spec." cars turn the dipped headlamps on (as DRLs) when you start the car ...

So, a nice reasonably powerful multi-LED array, would be good for me ! - I'd want "always on", albeit with an over-ride on \ off switch in the car ...

Tucked into the lower grill, as close to the foglights as possible, with a 10 \ 12 unit array on each side ...

p.s. - has anyone seen any "driving" lights, that would fit into \ through a Sports or whatever grill (as flush-mounted as possible) ? ...

·
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
941 Posts
So, a nice reasonably powerful multi-LED array, would be good for me ! - I'd want "always on", albeit with an over-ride on \ off switch in the car ...

Tucked into the lower grill, as close to the foglights as possible, with a 10 \ 12 unit array on each side ...

p.s. - has anyone seen any "driving" lights, that would fit into \ through a Sports or whatever grill (as flush-mounted as possible) ? ...
Luck would have it I sell such a kit that mounts onto the mesh grill in the bumper.

Have a look at my albums for all the pictures and the link in my sig :)

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Luck would have it I sell such a kit that mounts onto the mesh grill in the bumper. Have a look at my albums for all the pictures and the link in my sig. :)
I'm really looking for 'more' - like a 2 x 6 array on each side - what's the wattage of each individual LED ? ...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts