2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay.....some people have seen me pop up on various threads talking about my problems compared to them etc. But as my car seems to have almost all of the problems mentioned by others I thought I would start my own thread!!

So here are the details. The car is a 1.8 ES in vivid blue. No extras. Bought in April 2006 and now has 13500 miles.

Problems :

Rear shocks - replaced and now fine.

Fuel cap - Had the short term fix, now have had a whole new filler cap. Fine so far, but then it was done this morning!

Rear knocking / creak - All exhaust mountings / suspension were lubed, the noise has now gone.

Awful creak from the roof - It was found that the roof had not been welded properly during the build at the factory. The car was stripped of its interior and re-welded. Creak has gone.

Front left shock squeak - It has been in twice for this, first to lube it to see if it stopped and to refit the bump stop. It did not work, they now need to replace the whole strut. It is on back order....so I still have the squeak but it should soon be gone. I queried with Honda Customer Service about the safety aspect of replacing only the 1, surely it should be both that are changed?? They insist it is safe.

Windscreen creak and dash shaking over bumpy roads - I took Dave out from Amethyst Honda in Cheltenham (hello Dave if you are reading this!) in both the courtesy car and then mine down a bumpy road in Cheltenham (almost any road, as they are terrible) and he could hear a big difference but it will have to go in again to be found and sorted. I believe it is as a result of the interior strip and rebuild, but I cannot say for sure as before the welding job all I heard was the creak not anything else.

So the car has been in 7 times for problems.....1 once for a service and is scheduled to go back for the 8th time to fit the new front strut and to sort the wobbling / shaking / generally crap trim quality.

I know this is not a record and there are a few of you who have had a longer tale of woe but I just wanted to say that I still love the car because it is great, cheap to run and reliable. It has been built awfully by the boys in Swindon and as result the Civic will get panned in the JD Power survey, however my dealer has been great from the reception through to the mechanics.

Honda customer service were good when I spoke to them, especially because I was in a mood with them from the off, and whilst a set of car mats is hardly recompence for a pretty appaling 12 months with the car at least they are making an effort.

So they are getting there, but at the moment I feel like a TVR owner without the V8.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
nice post :D

not good that you've had so many problems, but as you say, a decent dlr has at least taken them on board and is ficing them :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
May I agree with another local!

Amethyst Cheltenham have been very helpful to me too.

I too believe the build quality from Swindon to be poor.

My previous Civic was built in the USA (Ohio?). It was FAR better built, lovely fit of all parts, no rattles or squeaks, not a single problem in 3 years use. Put the two cars side by side - no comparison.

Before that - a USA built Accord Aerodeck - again beautifully built.

The new Civic has lots of great points (especially the wonderful smooth diesel), but has just too many let downs and bad quality issues to be other than severely flawed as an overall package in my humble opinion. What a shame that so good a basic car is let down by what are really trivial issues that a decent strong management team at Honda should have got sorted very quickly and nipped in the bud. Instead cars have continued to be built with known quality problems (fuel filler, shock absorbers, radios etc.) and the customer gets some of them fixed if he/she complains enough, and is lucky enough to have a good dealer.

Pretty disgustingly shoddy of Honda UK in my opinion.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well here's my personalised list of faults surprises & annoyances:

Squeak from rear suspension when reversing off drive first thing in morning (then no noise)

Fuel filler cap reluctance to open (insertion of folded paper to encourage it)

Rattle from driver seat belt adjuster (intermittent)

Thirst for oil (had to put in a litre - the first time I've had to put oil in a car for 21 years!)

Other dashboard squeaks (can never figure out where they are coming from, but to be honest I've never owned a car that didn't squeak or rattle at some point)

Difficulty shutting bonnet & boot (bonnet seems to take practice & I'm improving mainly down to monitoring the oil level; boot seems to have resolved itself)

Boot shower after rain (I'm now remembering to either stand to one side or put shampoo on first)

Radio reception (still checking on this one, but I tend to listen to CDs so haven't noticed it as much as others)

There may be other things that I have forgotten, but I have to say that with the exception of the oil issue, none of the above items have worried me too much, and I'm happy to wait for my first service in April. I guess I've been lucky or lots of people have been unlucky. In my opinion the Civic is a good car, but Honda appear to have totally underestimated the demand for it prior to launch and have been trying to play catch up ever since. Thus the large waiting times for some (again luckily I only had to wait a couple of weeks) & possibly why certain apparent quality control issues have not been addressed quickly enough.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is in the garage as we speak getting the front left suspension replaced. But guess what?? Yep....the groan from the rear is back and the car will need to be booked in again to sort out the dashboard that sounds like it is breaking into pieces as I go over a bumpy road. I have a Jazz at the moment from the garage, and this thing is properly made!

It is does not squeak or rattle over bumps that make my Civic beg for mercy.

The latest bombshell however is one that I will be having out with the service manager this evening. From next week they are charging for courtesy cars, now I have no problem with this for a service but for warranty work?? Is it my fault that the buffoons in Swindon did not make my car very well (unwelded roof etc) and with pretty crap quality components (shocks, filler cap etc)??? I do not think so.....and if my car had been built properly would I have to take my car in to the dealer 9 times??? Uh...no.

So lets say the car costs £10 a day which seems to be a standard cost in other dealers I have used (under the pretence of 'insurance') the fact my car has been in 9 times which only 4 of those trips being for 1 day, (the roof alone was 2 weeks - 14 days) .... it would have cost me over £150 in courtesy car costs....through no fault of my own.

Well I shall let you know what he says later....but needless to say the gloss is now well and truly gone on my Civic. I will also scotch the idea my wife had of getting a CRV, I will not buy another car made in Swindon.

Japanese Honda = :D

English Honda = [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Note a thread I started not long ago all about Courtesy car charges for warranty work on here.

When mine was in last week for the windscreen for 3 days, Andrew at deVries knows my stance on this and rather than charge me per day just gave me the courtesy car with a full tank on the basis that I return it full to them, so you only pay for what you use as you would your own car - I suggest you argue this with them when you RETURN it to them not before :)

It's warranty work and you've probably had to drive over there like me, losing time at work, using extra fuel to show them the faults before it can be booked in etc.... if they are still not happy tell them to ask for the money from Honda as it's their fault all this shoddy workmanship not yours or the dealers! :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, just got back and I am happy to say that the replaced front left shock has made a lot of difference. Firstly the ride is now just firm and not crashy and race car hard.

Also the service manager at Amethyst is a very pleasant chap. He knows the history of my car and will not be making a charge for the loan car as he understands the return in early March to fix the dash will be my tenth warranty visit. Thankyou says I!

I imagine this has come in because back in the olden days (pre-new Civic) Honda never had any warranty problems and thus providing a loan car was not really a problem, it would mainly be used by people having their car serviced. Since the Civic has meant every one sold has been back to the dealer 1-10 times in a year the cost of providing loans cars has gone up!

Honda customer service put some nice mats in, thanks. Now as you offered me a free service (25,000 mile is £250) and the mats came to £50 perhaps you could put an ipod connection in for me as well??? I will be having a word!

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
my saga

Because I never use the courtesy car
they now collect and deliver free of charge that is fine with me

I have never been lent a current model civic(I wonder why)

I have given my car a quick drive today at the dealers and the rattles creaks and groans are much better

I still have the windscreen rattle

The passenger seat base rattle is still in discussion

Latest Radio software update been done (not tested yet)

All modifications that can be done, have to the suspension (still at times it feels like driving a gokart is this down to the crap roads etc or poor design?)

The rear tailgate struts are working within design limits (no comment)

The dual zone climate control there is no fix (No more comments yet)

I will post all letters from my dealer if anybody wants them

as regarding changing dealers until honda come up with updates what would be the point

if anybody gets there climate control fixed please let me know

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Because I never use the courtesy car
they now collect and deliver free of charge that is fine with me

I have never been lent a current model civic(I wonder why)

I have given my car a quick drive today at the dealers and the rattles creaks and groans are much better

All modifications that can be done, have to the suspension (still at times it feels like driving a gokart is this down to the crap roads etc or poor design?)

as regarding changing dealers until honda come up with updates what would be the point

Good Grief:roll:

The point is Geoff is that you are taking your dealers word that they have tried to fix these things or can't fix these things - The question is How hard have they tried

GO TO ANOTHER DEALER - :VTECSMILEY:

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
The car is in the garage as we speak getting the front left suspension replaced. But guess what?? Yep....the groan from the rear is back and the car will need to be booked in again to sort out the dashboard that sounds like it is breaking into pieces as I go over a bumpy road. I have a Jazz at the moment from the garage, and this thing is properly made!

It is does not squeak or rattle over bumps that make my Civic beg for mercy.

The latest bombshell however is one that I will be having out with the service manager this evening. From next week they are charging for courtesy cars, now I have no problem with this for a service but for warranty work?? Is it my fault that the buffoons in Swindon did not make my car very well (unwelded roof etc) and with pretty crap quality components (shocks, filler cap etc)??? I do not think so.....and if my car had been built properly would I have to take my car in to the dealer 9 times??? Uh...no.

So lets say the car costs £10 a day which seems to be a standard cost in other dealers I have used (under the pretence of 'insurance') the fact my car has been in 9 times which only 4 of those trips being for 1 day, (the roof alone was 2 weeks - 14 days) .... it would have cost me over £150 in courtesy car costs....through no fault of my own.

Well I shall let you know what he says later....but needless to say the gloss is now well and truly gone on my Civic. I will also scotch the idea my wife had of getting a CRV, I will not buy another car made in Swindon.

Japanese Honda = :D

English Honda = [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]
I still cannot get over the fact that Dealers are charging for courtesy cars
is this an English thing?

I had a courtesy car couple of weeks ago when my cr-v was in for warranty work and I was given a courtesy car - No charge
under my own insurance ( no charge from insurance company either)

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I still cannot get over the fact that Dealers are charging for courtesy cars
is this an English thing?

I had a courtesy car couple of weeks ago when my cr-v was in for warranty work and I was given a courtesy car - No charge
under my own insurance ( no charge from insurance company either)

I didnt pay for mine either last week, I insured it on my own insurance (no charge) and was told to just bring it back with the same amount of petrol in it but seeing as the petrol I put in didn't register it looked like I returned it empty but they were fine with that :D

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts

Geoff at least a couple of things have improved, but I really do think you should consider just ringing another dealer at least to ask them if they think they can fix some of the other things like windscreen rattle, they may have had more experience of these problems.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Have to admit Geoff, once being a native of West Sussex, I've driven passed your dealers in E. Sussex plenty of times. Although it's a lovely neck of the woods, it's a bit out of the way and not the biggest dealership around. Hence, Topcat is right when she says that they might not have experienced that sort of problem (i.e. the windscreen one) with the Civic. Ever thought about trying Brighton Honda, or Southern Counties in Crawley? I used both for servicing my Jazz and each served well over a 4 year period. Brighton in particular seemed very proactive in dealing with customer problems.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
thanks

thank you all for the concern about my civic
I am going to use it for a while and see how it is

the fault with the seat is a defect and they said will fix it if I keep the car

if the windscreen rattle needs the screen taking out and refitting then honda have no choice do they

as regards the climate control my dealer said no honda dealers have a fix for the fault

If anybody knows of a dealer who has cured the climate control he will contact them for infomation

now what more could another dealer do?

This is not an advert for collins honda
I just think that without the proper tools nobody can fix things in the past honda would not of let this happen

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Well, now that Topcat is getting all starry eyed about her Civic again, it would be great to see you, Cheltenhamshire (and others) getting enjoyment from your cars.

I know that's wishful thinking maybe, but none of us here like reading about your continued horror stories (especially as many of us are really enjoying ownership of the Civic).

Like you've said before, it wouldn't be so bad if Honda made a real effort to deal with what, I believe to be extraordinary cases, but it looks like Honda CS is hardly a bastion of efficiency.

Moreover, I have the feeling it's probably not like this for owners of Honda cars in Japan, nor perhaps, in territories like Germany (where the motoring press are all too happy to lay into manufacturers' deficiencies bigtime).

Really, I think a lemon law is definitely needed in the UK, with three chances for the car maker to repair the faults, otherwise the owner gets a replacement or money back (with financial recompense for all costs incurred).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, don't get me wrong....I love the car...the design....the low fuel consumption, decent performance, comfort etc.....I like the dealer....the mechanics are great.....I am just miffed that my car has had so many niggly faults.

I get a lot of enjoyment from the car, lucky for Honda that the dealers are good because I had a great deal fewer problems with my Alfa but ditched the brand because the local dealer was a moron and the decent dealer was 35 miles away in Swindon and just not convinient for me.

The Merc was a disaster....a total pile of crap with many and varied expensive faults and a dealer experience that was the worst I have ever experienced. Btw, I am not a grumpy old man but a young 33 year old with high standards!

Since they did the front shocker the ride has improved so much ..... anyone know why it only seems to have been the front left shock that has squeaked????

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Well, now that Topcat is getting all starry eyed about her Civic again, it would be great to see you, Cheltenhamshire (and others) getting enjoyment from your cars.
I have to admit driving a car that is scratch free and looking good makes me so much happier, yes it still has its faults but hopefully most of them will be sorted next week :D

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Mines Back

Mines back from the dealer I am so fed up with the car I am still using my Wifes Corsa.
We have to go on a 100 miles round trip in it on Sunday So maybe next week I will feel better about owning a civic.
I still have broken passenger seat base but they have said they will fix it
The windscreen still has the creaking noise
And I still have No zone climate control

will report back later

1 - 20 of 113 Posts