2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen in previous threads that the satnav does not always plot the best route, but mine is getting worse and I don't know why.

I was heading from Yorkshire to Hatfield in Herts but chose to ignore the initial route down the M1 and I took the A1. The problem after that is that it was hell-bent on getting me back on the M1, even when it was clearly quicker to stick on the A1. After it had increased by journey time by 55 minutes I gave up and reset the destination. Suddenly it wised up and took me down the A1 reducing my est journey time by 50 mins, so it previously was obviously not calculating the fastest route.

Then in the evening I was going to my hotel. I stuck on the satnav although I have been before and it tried to take me the most bizarre route. As I got very close to the hotel it told me to make u-turn and go round the block (extra 1.6 miles) to get to the hotel.

What is going on :?::?::?::?:

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
When you enter a destination selecting 'Calc. 5 Routes' plots 5 routes for you (Fast, Short, Easy, Minimise Motorways, Minimise Toll Roads), if you don't select a route then it will try to send you the 'Fast Route'.

This is covered on pages 40, 41 & 42 in the Nav System handbook.

Question: Did you select that route?;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you enter a destination selecting 'Calc. 5 Routes' plots 5 routes for you (Fast, Short, Easy, Minimise Motorways, Minimise Toll Roads), if you don't select a route then it will try to send you the 'Fast Route'.

This is covered on pages 40, 41 & 42 in the Nav System handbook.

Question: Did you select that route?;)
Actually I did. I have used it exactly the same way on the same route several times (so that TMC keeps me up to date) but it seems to have changed it's mind on the best way. The route it was plotting matched none of the criteria (Fast, Short etc) unless there is a "I have plenty time so any route will do" option that I have missed.

Thanks for the advice though, I will double-check my settings.

·
您看了
456 Posts
What you also need to bear in mind is that a huge section of the A1M in Yorkshire is missing from the Nav disc as it is reasonably new road (Mine goes nuts in that section and shows me in the middle of fields for about 15mins journey time, despite the fact that I am on a 3 lane motorway style road). Because of this I find that A1/M1 directions in that section are spurious and you just have to "ride it out". Best bet is to turn on "Off road tracking" as this will lay a line of breadcrums on the screen and the satnav will/should remember the road for next time.

This should be amended in the next disc version but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if this section of road doesnt appear one end of my road has been closed for about 16years but the sat nav still thinks its a valid exit.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This all happened after that bit of the A1M. I have done the journey many times, the only difference this time was I took a slightly different route to start with, and it has not done this before.

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Simple answer is that these systems are biased towards using M roads, rather than A roads. As, in theory, limit on Mway is 70 and A roads 60.

This can skew routes, so sometimes taking the shortest route will be best.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Simple answer is that these systems are biased towards using M roads, rather than A roads. As, in theory, limit on Mway is 70 and A roads 60.

This can skew routes, so sometimes taking the shortest route will be best.

i agree, I aways thought that fastest route was not necessarily the quickest (ie it is the route at which you can drive your car the fastest, hence pulling you toward the motorway, whereas quickest would of done the A road i assume.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
You need to make sure you have not changed the compute option by using the up and down onthe jog dial too

·
Registered
40 Posts
My sat nav seems to change its mind one day to the next as to what is the quickest route , i have noticed a few times that the 'easy' route is faster than the 'fast' route and shorter than the ' short' route ? very odd.
There are quite a few new roads which do not appear on the sat nav but it seems more up to date than the Tom Tom I had in my last car , this used to show a roundabout that has never existed on the A127
Jimbo

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Don't forget that you can change the speeds it uses for M-way, A roads and urban roads. Moving the speeds will skew the output, and the choice of roads.

I think it has trouble sometimes with the concept of "quickest" - it's often the slowest route, but covers the most quick roads (M-ways).

Looking forward to a nice firmware upgrade....

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Asked mine to "Take me to your dealer" today to get the recall sorted out.

It failed to tell me to turn left at a junction.

Then it virtually told me off and suggested I went back to do it again properly.

Sat Nav made the mistake and tried to blaim me for it!!

"Consciousness is that annoying time between naps"

[You'll get older one day!!!]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All ... lots of great feedback, but nothing that really explains what my sat nav was thinking unfortunately.

In the first instance I was alreay on the A1 near Newark and it tried to get me back to the M1 and gave an estimated arrival of 10.55am. I cancelled and plugged in the destination again and it took me down the A1 with est arrival 10.05am, i.e. it got it right that time.

In the second instance I was on a roundabout a few hundred yards from my hotel on a route it had taken me before, but it had plotted a route 1.6 miles back up the road I had just come down and round in a big loop to get there

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
possibly a stupid question - but have you got TMC options set to automatic re-route, or prompt?

couple of times TMC has warned of big queues ahead that have turned out to be minor slow downs by the time I got there...

doesn't really explain why it didn't want you to drive the last few hundred yards though :(

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
like mine dont ask it for a tsb bank or a tesco its said it was about 100 mile not 6 ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts